Best place to finance a 250hp?

VolsFan24

A couple weeks ago my lower unit locked up on me and I lost all power. I’m on the fence of either getting a new lower unit or biting the bullet and financing a motor. If you were looking at getting a new or used motor from a dealer where you can finance, where would you go? Thanks.

Fshn Cpa

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a new lower unit, if you have no other problems with the motor. I have replaced a few over the years with good results

FishingwithRusty

call SEI on the lower unit and save yourself some $$$$$$. if i was looking for a used motor id call duck river marine for the motor and if you can become a member navy federal credit union is VERY quick to lend $$$$$(just dont use them for banking)

VolsFan24

Thanks for the responses. The lower unit on it now is SEI. I have been saving money so hopefully next summer I can get a Yamaha SHO 250. Right now i have a Mariner 225. Motor runs good and no other problems other than i think its ugly. Haha. The oil return line wasn’t working right but nothing real. So I was thinking of putting down what I have saved and financing the SHO now. But I’m not opposed to buying a used Pro XS or G2 if they still have warranty and is a good price that can be financed.

FishingwithRusty

VolsFan24 - 6/6/2018 12:59 PM

Thanks for the responses. The lower unit on it now is SEI. I have been saving money so hopefully next summer I can get a Yamaha SHO 250. Right now i have a Mariner 225. Motor runs good and no other problems other than i think its ugly. Haha. The oil return line wasn’t working right but nothing real. So I was thinking of putting down what I have saved and financing the SHO now. But I’m not opposed to buying a used Pro XS or G2 if they still have warranty and is a good price that can be financed.

if the current lower is SEI then call them first with the serial number, may still be under warranty

fischnrod

I have been told that the SHO cannot be rebuilt...…...

silvertalon

SEI offers a 3 year unconditional warranty replacement. Just don't tell them you use it for tournaments or they will void you. I run an SEI and just went through a replacement after hitting something. They are the best. I run a 225 opti and it runs 2 mph faster with the SEI than the stock Mercury gearcase! Go figure that one out.

silvertalon

fischnrod - 6/6/2018 7:05 PM

That is correct. You need to buy a new power head (called a rotating Assembly). They are about $7,500. Plus labor to change it out. I hope the new 4 stroke Mercs are rebuildable.

silvertalon - 6/6/2018 10:31 PM
fischnrod - 6/6/2018 7:05 PM
VolsFan24 - 6/6/2018 12:59 PM Thanks for the responses. The lower unit on it now is SEI. I have been saving money so hopefully next summer I can get a Yamaha SHO 250. Right now i have a Mariner 225. Motor runs good and no other problems other than i think its ugly. Haha. The oil return line wasn’t working right but nothing real. So I was thinking of putting down what I have saved and financing the SHO now. But I’m not opposed to buying a used Pro XS or G2 if they still have warranty and is a good price that can be financed.
That is correct. You need to buy a new power head (called a rotating Assembly). They are about $7,500. Plus labor to change it out. I hope the new 4 stroke Mercs are rebuildable.
</p>

</p>

They are still new and we are just learning about them
However I read that they are <strike>not</strike> rebuildable for the same reason the SHO's are not

See Next post</p>

</p>

Okay I just found a post from Don Weed on BBC
They are rebuildable