How close is too close?

Lx545

With all the chit chat lately about people scavenging waypoints and binocular fishing, what is considered a community hole and what is considered a respectable distance? Lately has been awful about people just coming right in and sitting on top of me. I don't ledge fish a ton and in the ledge spots I can overlook someone getting close. I was on a grass flat this morning that is at most 200 yards long about 6:30 and had been on it about 10 minutes. Had one guy come in on the opposite end about 100 yards away and sit down where I was headed. Fine I can handle that. A third party decided they needed to split the difference all the while talking about all the grass they had found here blah blah blah. You have 2 boats bow to bow fishing not 150 yards a part and you feel the need to come sit in the middle because Im just hanging out you know. Fired up and went on down the lake some more. Guess I'm gonna have to quit the chick. Rant over.

Smalliefan2

Pro events say 100 yds. If I was closer, communication helps. Couple of years ago, the FLW event Andy Morgan and a couple of others were closer working a school around the nuke plant, they had talked things over to work together to catch fish, and not be on top of each other. Look at last weeks posts, same discussion, how close, cutting off etc.

Strato-G

FLW says50 yards if 1st is anchored...however if not anchored, they are known to rub rubrails as was case on Kentucky 3 weeks ago.................I have told some to just get on my tub, lol. Some I have told & said other things, some not so grateful...Temperance & tolerance.& hope PTSD is not involved...jmo....... emoGeezer emoUSA

Lx545

I understand the whole school ledge fishing closeness and Im ok with that. But I'm not okay with being cut off, but then again I remember growing up and not having these problems. People were courteous and considerate. I guess next time it happens I will just join in and rub rails with them even if it is a small spot.

Strato-G

beetlespin - 6/17/2018 3:26 PM

I’ll never understand the anchor rule. I’ve never seen a bass fisherman use an anchor

So you never see them with Tallons down, Flw says trolling motor must be in up position. some use anchor on lenghty rope & let wind & current move boat around.... emoGeezer emoUSA

FirstLight

What bothers me is when you are working a stretch of shoreline that has been productive and you set down where you want to start. That stretch may only be 50 yards long or less; but you want to work it thoroughly. We will spend an hour plus on spots that are that size or less if we are confident in them. Next thing you know some squirrel jumps in front of you in what is usually the more productive area. We stop short because we are working our way to the “hot” area. It happened today. I got mad real quick and dad told me to calm down so I did. But that dude knew which way our boat was headed. He watched us the whole time too. I put the TM on high and got there. But he was in casting range most of the time.

I dunno. That’s where we’re at in the chick....

Lx545

Yep exact scenario for me. I have had really good luck on this spot and have boated a bunch of fish quick here. Had been out since four this morning running my electronics and enjoying the sunrise. Pretty much my last spot before packing it up before church. I was gonna work this spot before I had to leave. Not a boat in sight I took my time getting in the sweet spot. Only to have the third boat drive right over in my opinion the best area thats only about 4-8 ft deep to work over a dock. Could have just snuck in behind me and I would have fished on down and got out of his way.

derek81

50 to 75 yards is plenty in my opinion, if someone pulls 100 yards down from me I'm not going to freak out about it. Just go fish and ignore the dumb asses. I'm more worried about the lack of driving ability I have seen lately, I have almost been hit a couple times lately, we had a boat almost run right into us night fishing a week or so ago, I had to flash my head light repeatedly before he swerved away

Hook1

Happened to me Saturday night Derek. I was by the Indian mounds and saw the parade coming up from Riverbend. I was WAY inside the channel markers and a big cruiser headed right at me. When it got too uncomfortable (100 yards or so) I blasted him with my spotlight. All my lights were on! I guess he was just driving by GPS and decided to cut the corner short.

Bobber Stop

I believe the yardage is all depending on the kind of fishing. I personally wont pull in on a grass mat and start fishing 50 yards from someone. I try to keep it at least 100. now for a ledge, that's a little different. I think 50 is ok, as long as your not throwing to the same place. I'm talking 50 yards behind someone, not beside them, throwing in front of them. There aren't that many island heads out there. But the flip side is there are too many fish in the lake to sit rail to rail.

RobN

I know this story is not regarding Chick but unfortunately this issue is not unique to Chick or even freshwater. We were fishing in the keys and we were about 8-10 miles offshore during prime dolphin season. We located a grass mat that maybe was a 100 yards wide that had some schoolie dolphin under it, by the time the fourth or fifth dolphin hit the cooler we had a boat cruise up and literally tried to move within casting distance, they must have been watching with binoculars because we could not see another boat when we found that particular grass mat. Also, there were grass mats everywhere that week until a storm broke them up, so we did not have a special or secret spot.....and it was in the middle of the ocean with plenty of other options.