Unreal Pressure

BulletTJ

So the job I have has a crazy schedule and I am off some during the week. This morning I decide to go fishing. I don't get to fish as much as I used to since I went back to work and I am raising some of the grandkids. I put in at Grasshopper before daylight. The lake level was almost full. So I decided to head up river so I won't have to fight the crowd like I did last week out of Harrison Bay. Boy was that a mistake. I get just above Hiwassee Island and here comes a string of boats. I figure it must be a club that works swing shifts. Nope, it was a big azz tournament out of Dayton. Did I mention one of the places I wanted to fish was Richland Creek? SMH There had to be between 250-300 boats! On a Tuesday for crying out loud! The last flight left at 8:30. I fished a couple of spots before they all got out on the lake. Decided to fish my way back to Grasshopper. I had to fish 3 places I never fished before. Every spot I usually fished had at least one boat on it. I finally make it back to Grasshopper and decide to fish in the creek. As I idle past the ramp I notice the parking lot was only half full. I get to the back of the creek and if I had lined the boats up I could have walked across the creek without getting my feet wet. A lot of the boats were from KY, IN, IL, OH, and GA.
During the day a couple of the guys got close to me and we started talking. I asked them if they didn't have jobs! They just laughed and said they took Vacation to come here and fish this tournament. I expect a crowd on the weekend. There is no way this lake can stand up to all this fishing pressure. Not to mention what moving all these fish during the spawn is going to do to the unguarded beds. Oh did I mention compared to the tournament out of Dayton this weekend, this tournament was small. I am done with Chickamauga unless I fish at night. I guess I will have to make the trip to Watts Bar. emoBang

It is no doubt becoming more frustrating. My guess is we will just continue to squeeze the orange until there’s no more juice. I hope we find a way to have some tournaments and preserve this great resource for the locals but the constant pounding in the spring will have an affect IMO. And, the pleasure boaters haven’t even really showed up yet. My Chick schedule beginning in May is from 4-10am and I’m out of there.

I had a opportunity to fish this afternoon too. Only had about 3-4 hours I could fish. Got to CFP at 11:45. The parking lot was pretty full, but it’s not that unusual this time of year. However, the license plates were from Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, etc...I go to first spot in the very back of a slough, not a lot of boats in the area, I was trying to stay off trolling motor and be stealthy in the 1.5 -2.0 ft of water. However, here comes a dude right beside me idling in and asked if he could fish. After, a moment of disbelief, I said “sure...it’s all yours”..so, I trolled back out following the mud trail he left.
Went to the second spot and there was a boat on every point, bank, and indentation. So, I go back out to main lake and tried one more spot. The wind was howling so I fished about 45 mins and put her back on trailer. Nice and quick 2hr fishing trip.

I see the parallels to this lake and Wheeler lake back in the 80s-early 90s. You could step from boat to boat in the infamous “Decatur Flats” back then. The mid part of that lake has never recovered. As each year go by, this lake seems headed for the same fate.

Rob Lee

How far is the nearest & safest ramp at Watts Bar from Ooltewah? I fished Monday and it was not fun or relaxing. Bunch of boats from Ohio. Thanks.

BulletTJ

There is a ramp at the dam but I have not used it in years. I usually use the one at Sandy Bottoms campground, Hornsby Hollow campground, or Blue Springs Marina.

TightlineT

Daytime fishing is going to start being either Nickajack, which I haven't fished in 20 years or WB, which I have never fished. May not catch anything, but maybe I won't have to worry about someone running in on me while I am practicing how to cast.......

jpdavidm

Sorry Bullet should have been more specific we used the ramp at Watts Bar Dam no issues everything very nice and no boat traffic.

BulletTJ

That is the dock I was asking about. I had heard last year that the dock at Watts Bar Dam was not in good shape. I assume it is fine now. I guess I will find out Saturday. I am taking one of my boys fishing.

jpdavidm

Good luck last Saturday was miserable cold, raining and windy we did manage a few fish I really enjoyed it there, not a bad ride from East Ridge look forward to fishing it more.