I am a fishing moron

takenoprisoners

So I've decided to try fishing the closest body of water lately. For me, that's the Hiwassee. I put in right before Bowater and go upstream. I don't go very far. The water/shore looks so promising, I don't see a need to keep driving. But the only thing I'm catching are branches and an occasional (very small) bluegill. I know there are other fish out there. Either I need to keep driving or use something different. I usually fish with Bobby Garland, as they seem to attract everything out there. Not on the Hiwassee.

All that to say, anybody out there fish that part of the Hiwassee? Do I need to move farther up the river? Use some different bait?

I enjoy catching good-sized bluegill and crappie.

Thanks for humoring the fishing moron.

Smalliefan2

Fished Candies Creek, Rogers creek two weeks ago, slow. Spots and largemouth were shallow, usually near laydowns.

Smalliefan2

Fishing lower end of Chick in the last week or so, found fish on the river, back in slough's. Didn't find enough numbers when I fished the Hiwassee to say one was better than the other. The noticeable difference was the water was 5-8 degrees lower than this end.

takenoprisoners

Didn't think about the temperature change. Makes me think they are perhaps in the creeks, where it will be a tiny bit warmer. Hmmmm...

and laydowns are trees that have fallen in the water.

Note to all: Anything I write can be corrected. Again, I am something of a fishing moron.

Thanks again!

m17glock

the old mill dam just up from the charleston ramp on the left ( calhoun side) usually holds a decent amount of crappie and white bass , the channel drop off there can be very productive . also look for any drainage or small creeks coming in upstream of charleston those can be very productive as well .

takenoprisoners

m17glock - 10/23/2021 11:17 AM

the old mill dam just up from the charleston ramp on the left ( calhoun side) usually holds a decent amount of crappie and white bass , the channel drop off there can be very productive .  also look for any drainage or small creeks coming in upstream of charleston  those can be very productive as well .

Awesome! And that Old Mill Dam is close to the ramp, so I don't have to go far!

I catch a lot of white and yellow bass in the spring at the mill dam. Only a couple of crappie. I have gotten them from the bank on either side of the dam, but after the spawning season don't catch any at that spot. Is it possible to reach the river channel dropoff casting from shore ? The yellow bass tend to overpopulate and be stunted, but these fish of any size are easy to filet and are very good to eat. If none are thrown back, the remaining yellow bass will not be so crowded and will grow bigger.
Downstream of the mill dam, if you drift the Charleston side and bump bottom from 8 to 12 feet deep you will catch some small sunfish (redbreast and bluegill), crappie and bass with a few larger ones mixed in. No need to get hung in the trees, if you parallel the bank.
The water level is dropping, and that will increase the current in that section of the Hiwassee. Them trees will be even further away, so you will have to work extra hard if you wanna snag 'em (the Trees)

takenoprisoners

jaygivens70 - 10/29/2021 2:25 PM

I catch a lot of white and yellow bass in the spring at the mill dam. Only a couple of crappie. I have gotten them from the bank on either side of the dam, but after the spawning season don't catch any at that spot. Is it possible to reach the river channel dropoff casting from shore ? The yellow bass tend to overpopulate and be stunted, but these fish of any size are easy to filet and are very good to eat. If none are thrown back, the remaining yellow bass will not be so crowded and will grow bigger.
Downstream of the mill dam, if you drift the Charleston side and bump bottom from 8 to 12 feet deep you will catch some small sunfish (redbreast and bluegill), crappie and bass with a few larger ones mixed in. No need to get hung in the trees, if you parallel the bank.
The water level is dropping, and that will increase the current in that section of the Hiwassee. Them trees will be even further away, so you will have to work extra hard if you wanna snag 'em (the Trees)

Thanks, and don't worry. I'm very talented at pulling up trees, no matter how far they may seem. Hahahahaha

Let us know how you do. The dropping water level should re-position the fish, but to where ? The current will increase also, so slack water towards the bank should be productive.

takenoprisoners

jaygivens70 - 10/30/2021 12:39 PM

Let us know how you do. The dropping water level should re-position the fish, but to where ? The current will increase also, so slack water towards the bank should be productive.

Will do! And a couple weeks ago, I took a kid from church out and caught a lot of tiny little bluegill and a couple li'l crappie on the opposite bank, a little ways upstream. All caught with worms. It worked and he was happy, so that's what matters!

digitalcb

Used to do pretty good throwing a Rapala right against the bank. Fished a lot between Two Rivers and 411 and above 411 till it got too shallow. Ran a small john Boat with a 9-1/2

takenoprisoners

digitalcb - 11/1/2021 12:14 PM

Used to do pretty good throwing a Rapala right against the bank. Fished a lot between Two Rivers and 411 and above 411 till it got too shallow. Ran a small john Boat with a 9-1/2

May give it a shot. I don't even know if I still own a Rapala. Hahaha
Time to investigate!

There are many miles of shoreline and I think that the outside bends are better because you have a steeper bank with rock. Fish usually prefer rock to mud, if they have a choice. I doubt if I will fish the Hiwassee much during the drawdown due to the excessive current. Might start going to Parksville. Has anybody been catching any over there, lately ?