Question on humminbird mapping

TightlineT

I have an older 998 with a lake master map card in it. I believe it is version 2 card. I was thinking about going to Tim’s Ford for first time in 25 years and looked on my lake list and it was not there. I know lakemaster won’t be available if I go, but will the base map that came with the unit work for that lake and how do I access that once I get to the lake? Thanks…..Jim

When you pull your map card out of the SD slot, your unit will automatically default to the maps in the unit's hard drive. It'll also default to the hard drive chart set if your lake/river isn't included on your map card.

Next, I recommend going to the HB site and setting up an account (if you don't already have one - it's free, btw). There is a section in there that details the capabilities of the nav system on their units (incl charts). That'll give you the list of lakes/rivers covered. Since your unit is a bit older, this info may not be as readily accessible. May entail a call to their customer service folks.

FishingwithRusty

the update for Helix units before last included a BUNCH of new base maps, might see if its included for the legacy units as well. you may get a better base map with the update and its free. word of advice though, make sure you do all available updates, the one with the new base maps had some glitches that were fixed with the next update.

TightlineT

I appreciate the information fellas. I’ve been thinking seriously about upgrading to the newer helix units with a bigger screen. I know more lakes are available on the newer map cards too. More reason to do it. I ran into this spring when I went up to watts bar. May have to see if Johnny can help me out again!!!! Thanks again…