Shakey head jig head question

TightlineT

Looking at using this technique more. Any suggestions on which head type of round, flat or football is best? Any particular brand folks like better than others? Thanks! Jim

I've used all kinds of shapes/sizes of shaky head. They all produce. Football and flat heads do stand up a bit better, but you need to match them to buoyant bait to get the full effect. One thing I do recommend is mixing up sizes (weights). Like jigs, there are times when the fall rate means ~everything. You'll also want to keep some heavier weights for those deeper applications. (Nothing more agonizing than waiting for a 3/32 oz shaky head to fall 15 or 20 vertically. But then again, if that's how the fish want it . . .) I have not been able to discern any difference between brands. After you've experimented for a while, you'll no doubt develop a fav of your own.

A couple observations from my experience: 1) Use a rig w/ a longer shank hook for longer baits (trick worms, 6" or longer shaky worms). You'll realize a better hook-up ratio. 2) I invested in my first tungsten shaky heads earlier this year. I use tungsten weights for other applications. There is a distinct difference in feel and the noise generated during presentation. My guess is it'll be the same for the shaky head. 3) The screw-lock holders are better than the spike holders. 4) Many (most?) of these lures are made w/ fine wire hooks. You'll need to make the appropriate adjustments to drag, line weight, and line type when you rig. It isn't hard to straighten out some of these hooks.

FishingwithRusty

definitely catches a lot of fish on the tn river, hell really everywhere.

i use these:
https://www.bizzbaits.com/pages/terminal

he also has another called the "earth shaker" comes in larger sizes and can support 6 & 7/0 hooks ;) just have to contact John Martin directly to order them

rippinlips2win

I second the earth shaker...well made and support the larger hook well.

Also, for traditional shakey head techniques I actually prefer a pill head or ball head.

TightlineT

Thanks for the replies. I’ve always heard they do good on pressured water and everyone knows we sure have that here in a couple of months. Thanks again!! Jim