Lithium batteries

Rob Lee

Been doing a lot of research and seriously considering buying some. I have read that there could be issues using a lithium battery to crank a Mercury 225 Opti Max. Yamaha motors were also mentioned. I have watch numerous Youtube videos and this was never mentioned. guys are using them to crank their big motors. I really do not understand. Would love to hear the pros and cons and your personal experience. Thanks.

Driller920

My father in law bought optima lithium batteries several years back. And they’ve lasted with no problems at all. And sometimes his batteries sit for months without charge and they still fire no problem. Yes they are expensive. But imo they are worth it after I’ve saw what his batteries have done. And he has them on both boats he owns.

FishingwithRusty

for what its worth, ive running lithium trolling motor batteries for the last 5 yrs and wont go back to AGM, BUT for cranking and running electronics i currently run 2 batteries in parallel. Mercury has outright NOT recommended lithium for cranking. we have enough issues with our boats, i'll pass on creating the potential for another problem. if youre only going to use one battery to crank and run the boat electronics look at the Odessey Extreme, my last one ran for 5+yrs and never once did i have a power problem, it went with my zx210c when i sold it or i'd probably still be running it today.

Rob Lee

FishingwithRusty - 1/25/2022 10:10 AM

for what its worth, ive running lithium trolling motor batteries for the last 5 yrs and wont go back to AGM, BUT for cranking and running electronics i currently run 2 batteries in parallel. Mercury has outright NOT recommended lithium for cranking. we have enough issues with our boats, i'll pass on creating the potential for another problem. if youre only going to use one battery to crank and run the boat electronics look at the Odessey Extreme, my last one ran for 5+yrs and never once did i have a power problem, it went with my zx210c when i sold it or i'd probably still be running it today.

Thanks Rusty, I appreciate your insight. I will check out the Odessey Extremes.

Rob Lee

For those who may be interested, I emailed Mercury today in regard to subject. Here is the response:
"Lithium Batteries contain a Battery Management System (BMS) that protects the battery against thermal and over/under charging events. This could cause the BMS to remove battery voltage to the engine while underway, posing a safety hazard while causing possible damage to the engine's electrical system. We do NOT recommend using Lithium batteries with ANY Mercury Outboard due to these circumstances".

bronzeback45

I have a friend that's been running them almost 2 years on a 250 optimax pro xs, I've been running one since July, on a 200 pro xs. I have had zero issues, and added two for the trollers. The ionic lithiums are hands down the best bang for the buck, and come with a 11 yr warranty, free replacement. I fished 2 tourney's back to back 14 hrs total, a 8 hr night tourney then 6 hr day. the second lake was idle only, so i wasn't putting a good charge back into battery. After 2nd tourney was over, I still had 26% left on battery and it would turn motor over like a new AGM, just sayin for all the nay sayer's. Drew at Ionic lithium will back them up. I'm running the cranking 125 amp hr.
These are all the items that run on single battery, 2 12", one 9" Lowrance units , Active Target, Sonic hub 2 [stereo], 3D SS box and a h2 hydrowave. Livewell's, led's for night fishing, and nav lights. The only problem I'm having in trying get a little more weight in the rear of my Stratos, and lowered my engine height.. emoLaugh . 100lbs of lead acid gone..

https://lithiumhub.com/product/12-volt-125ah-battery/

ChooChooSnakeMan

The Lithium technology is very interesting but I have a reservation besides the high costs of the Lithium batteries. I've read numerous places that Lithium batteries don't like to be stored under a certain discharge level which is pretty normal regardless of the battery technology. Notice I said "stored". I understand that running a Lithium battery down low doesn't hurt it like other battery types but evidently they don't like being stored in a state of discharge. The other factor that is more concerning to me is that Lithium batteries don't like being stored for long periods at more than 80% charge! Seems like this would be a problem. We charge our batteries to 100% right after every use. If the 80% rule is true then it would seem a Lithium battery would need to be brought up to say 70% right after use and then topped off to 100% right before the next trip. That adds complexity to the battery care equation! Oh well, I can't / won't spend the $$$ for Lithium. If they come down in price and solve some of these issues then maybe. My two cents!!!

bronzeback45

ChooChooSnakeMan - 2/15/2022 12:15 PM

The Lithium technology is very interesting but I have a reservation besides the high costs of the Lithium batteries. I've read numerous places that Lithium batteries don't like to be stored under a certain discharge level which is pretty normal regardless of the battery technology. Notice I said "stored". I understand that running a Lithium battery down low doesn't hurt it like other battery types but evidently they don't like being stored in a state of discharge. The other factor that is more concerning to me is that Lithium batteries don't like being stored for long periods at more than 80% charge! Seems like this would be a problem. We charge our batteries to 100% right after every use. If the 80% rule is true then it would seem a Lithium battery would need to be brought up to say 70% right after use and then topped off to 100% right before the next trip. That adds complexity to the battery care equation! Oh well, I can't / won't spend the $$$ for Lithium. If they come down in price and solve some of these issues then maybe. My two cents!!!

James I understand what you saying, $850 verses 350 on agm 31, 1 year (most marine batteries) verses 11 years. Ionic will back them up, and my Minn Kota 330PC charges lithiums too, as long as you change you charger to agm setting. We blow a lot of money on fishing tackle and etc. Maybe not you, but some will complain ,even though they're willing to pay 80,000k for a boat and a $500 a month payment. To me its a no brainer. Cost per year, 100% full power all the time and over 90% capacity verses 50% . Also, they charge faster than lead/agm acid batteries. emoThumbsup

ChooChooSnakeMan

bronzeback45 - 3/2/2022 8:36 AM

ChooChooSnakeMan - 2/15/2022 12:15 PM

James I understand what you saying, $850 verses 350 on agm 31, 1 year (most marine batteries) verses 11 years. Ionic will back them up, and my Minn Kota 330PC charges lithiums too, as long as you change you charger to agm setting. We blow a lot of money on fishing tackle and etc. Maybe not you, but some will complain ,even though they're willing to pay 80,000k for a boat and a $500 a month payment. To me its a no brainer. Cost per year, 100% full power all the time and over 90% capacity verses 50% . Also, they charge faster than lead/agm acid batteries. emoThumbsup

Leonard, thanks for the insight and I agree that bass fishing, especially competitive bass fishing is not a cheap hobby. It really boils down to a person's comfort level and working out the financial cost to benefit equation for their situation. I'm sure that we will see the cost of Lithiums come down as more people use them. I would like to hear from a Lithium battery manufacturer or distributor about my comments / concerns about Lithium not handling being stored at 100% very well. Perhaps the 11 year warranty you point out takes care of that at least it does if it is a no question asked 100% warranty. For me the most cost effective solution right now is I run the best AGM that I can find for my cranking / electronics battery (Odyssey Extreme 31M AGM - 4 year warranty) and then I use readily available low price Everstart (walmart) 29DC (1 year warranty) for my three trolling motor batteries. With those (4) batteries it is a lot of weight but my Skeeter was designed for that weight and as you have found out, sometimes changing the planned hull design weight distribution can create some performance issues. Again thanks for sharing your experience and comments emoThumbsup

trbr81

I just made the switch this year to (3) 50ah lithium - have yet to run them down in a long day of fishing. They recharge very quickly and the bluetooth app is great