Rules of the water

TennesseeTalker

well that was informative.

Hope others look at it too. In all the time I've been on the water in a boat I've never heard anyone give an intention signal.

TT

Liveliner

Thanks JtF. I sure wish there was a way to get boat operators to realize that they are not in their car when on the water. I get a kick out of boaters who will cut across in front of you so they can pass starboard to starbord. The worst place on Chickamauga that seems to have a double yellow line up the middle of the lane is at the pass that links the river and the bay at Chester-Frost. You can not get anyone to steer toward the starboard so as to pass on port side.
Can any of you guys recall ever passing port to port in that pass?emoEek

fisherpal2k

Good job JTF! Wish more folks would read a little before going out. Saw a guy the other day with a brand new boat. Never ran one in his life and he jumps on plane right out of the ramp and whizzes past the no wake bouy with no idea..  </p>

The Fluke

great info....I have always been told to pass Port to Port. However, no one does. I wish that twra would force everyone to take a boaters exam before being able to operate a boat but I know that would be expeinsive and a pain in the neck... Over the past few years it seems everyone has a boat but not all know how to drive them...Just my thoughts!!

Buoy-Master

smileup.gif
LOL!!!!
smileup.gif
 Now thats good!</p>

Port...4 letters...Left...4 letters. Get the hint?</p>

wink.gif
</p>

Carl Guffey

Now, how many boat operators actually know that port is left and starboard is right? So, how can you follow the rules of the water, if you don't know your left from your right. I really do think that a driving test as well as a written exam should be administered and passed before any person may operate a watercraft of any sort on Tennessee waterways. Each operator on land, with brakes must pass an exam, how can a twelve year old operate a 70 mph vehicle with no brakes.

Breeze

must not be a big deal in tn to know left from right. how many drivers do you encounter that do not use there turn signalsemoAngry .also in colorado you can not pull a skier or wake board from a pwc unless two people on board.'; left rightemoScratch

Bahama Rick

I agree that not many people on the Chick know the rules of the road, but I do not know if testing is the answer. Just look at car drivers!! Maybe handing out flyers with the basics at boating, fishing, sailing events would help.

I would like to see a slow speed zone extending out 100' from the shore and especially around launching areas. I see a lot of boats slow down but that only makes the wake get bigger unless they slow to below hull speed which is about 1.2 times the suare root of the waterline. For a 17 or 18' boat it is about 5 mph. If you want to go fast you should use the channel. Boat Captains are responsible for their wake and in Florida people have video taped boats leaving wakes, sued for damages in court and have won! I don't want to see that here and we have more than enough regulations, but it seems boater education only works thru the "wallet".

skinnywater

I am a member of the Coast Guard Auxilary, Wre treach a class that can help you save money on your insurance. It's called the America boating course. If you are interested in a course in your area , seel out the local CG Aux unit in your area. We provide info for many of the bass clubs in th birmingham area. Also, I can request a insoection of your boat to see if it meets state and national requirements for safety. http://slist.uscgaux.info/linklist.html
Click on district 08E. And the Floatilla for Chatanooga is listed.

tso

TWRA requires anyone born after January 1, 1989 to successfully pass a boater safety course. This is to operate any motor powered watercraft, including Jet Ski's.

I can assure you they teach Port & Starboard.

Another hint, Port (as in Port Wine) is Red and so is the Port light of a boat.

G

The word port and the word left both have 4 letters, this is an excellent way to remember.

Possum

Carl Guffey - 6/26/2007 5:48 AM

Now, how many boat operators actually know that port is left and starboard is right? So, how can you follow the rules of the water, if you don't know your left from your right. I really do think that a driving test as well as a written exam should be administered and passed before any person may operate a watercraft of any sort on Tennessee waterways. Each operator on land, with brakes must pass an exam, how can a twelve year old operate a 70 mph vehicle with no brakes.
Samething with overtaken, does that mean being passed?

theyorkieterror

I would say we all need to read and apply the "72COLREGS" as they apply to inland waters then there are Tennessee laws, Georgia laws,Alabama laws. With each state there are rules to follow and the problem always comes that after being stopped by an officer the rules apply even if you do not know or apply the rules. An example of this is a little item of, in Tennessee the rule to apply is having a throwable device but in another state state, that throwable device must have a line attached to that throwable device. There is also the thought that having a USCG Aux. inspection is in compliance of being inspected. This is true that at that moment in time your vessel was in compliance but your vessel can and is required to heave to and comply with boarding by Federal,State,Local law enforcement for inspection of the same safety compliances and more. There is also the point of caring a coply of the local regulations of the state where you are but also a hard copy of the 72COLREGS. I started boating long time ago but over the years the laws have changed and so did I have to change and increase my knowledge of the laws and regulations. THe most dangerest thing that has happen is being scuba diving and having two jet skies use my divers flag for turn pratice while I was below them within the correct distance of my marker.