Deep Bass need Fizzed with VIDEOS!

Buoy-Master

Its that time of year where bass from 15 feet plus, will most likely need to havethier swim bladders fizzed. </p>

Heres a link to read more and I'm attaching a better pictureof where to nsert the needle. </p>

Fizzing procedure</p>

</p>

Attachments

• needle placement.jpg
    needle placement.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,490

craazysmom

RE: Deep Bass need Fizzed

Ok Billy, What exactly does fizzing the swim bladder do for the fish and why does it not harm it?
scratch.gif

Don't know why I'm asking that, 'cause you know I will be fishing with a toad
smile_tongue.gif

Deb

Fuzzy

The throat procedure looks a heck of a lot easier. It's amazing to me that major shops don't sell a needle to do this. It is looked down upon by so many, but I have NEVER seen any fish successfully release with an inflated swim bladder. I was taken to school once for mentioning fizzing to some other fisherman and proceeded to tell me how bad it was for the fish, etc.. We used to catch all sorts of fish 40ft plus in New York lakes and fizzed them all the time for release...

Fuzz

Buoy-Master

craazysmom - 5/26/2008 9:45 PM Ok Billy, What exactly does fizzing the swim bladder do for the fish and why does it not harm it?
scratch.gif

smile_tongue.gif

Deb
</p>

Oh..you wont need it for the secret bite there Deb. Kevins gonna be mad at you for mentioning that "secret bait" LOL
icon_lol.gif
</p>

When fish go deep then get ripped back to the surface, thier swim or air bladders fill. (they float upside down) In order for the fish to go back down and swim off, the air must be released. I seen atleast 6 this morning at the Chesterfrost DF getting scooped up for fizzing. As far as I know, they all swam off after that. </p>

G

QUESTION were would u get a needle for that. 2nd QUESTION what kinda needle like a sewing needle or a hypodermic needle. 3rd QUESTION how far would u need to insert the needle. 4th QUESTION what depth would the fish have to be pulled up from would u have to worry about this.....sry for all the questions but just woundering... thks guys and ladies

jason

I just happen (nursing school) to have a wide variety of syringes and after looking at all of them, a 23ga 3cc/ml with a 1" needle appears the best choice. A smaller syringe (ie. TB or insulin) would be hard to manage while also attempting to control the bass. I just wish I had added it to the tackle sooner...
frown.gif
 However, I will be prepared for the next time and look forward to my first fizzing.

G

I thought this post was about catching big bass with alka-selzers, I had heard years ago that the big ones could be caught by drilling a hole in an alka-selzer and attaching it to the hook and tossing it where the big ones were hiding and they couldn't resist gobbling them up.

engatty

What about big blue cats. I've seen a few of these big cats have trouble submerging after release....most taking a half hour or more to finally be able to submerge.

Bprice

Steve, in a lot of the SCA tournaments in the past I've seen Phil King "bark" the fish with a small piece of PVC down there throat to get the air bladder deflated.

drumking

How about a sports needle that is used to inflate footballs or basketballs? They don't have sharp points and seems to me that the needle wouldn't penetrate any flesh. Or does the bladder need to be penetrated?

polo-dog

craazysmom - 5/26/2008 9:45 PM

Ok Billy, What exactly does fizzing the swim bladder do for the fish and why does it not harm it?
scratch.gif

smile_tongue.gif

Deb

Fizzing a bass or other fish releases the pressure that builds up in an organ inside the fish called the "swim bladder". A fish uses it's swim bladder like SCUBA divers use a BC (bouancy compensator). To easily stay at a certain depth a fish must be neutrally bouant, in other words he/she doesn't want to use energy to swim down if it's too bouant or to swim up if it's not bouant enough. The volume of gas that is in a bass's swim bladder cannot be changed quickly because it does not have an opening to the outside of the fish. Some fish such as tarpon and gar can "gulp" air into their swim bladders because they have a connection from the swim bladder to the digestive tract and therefore can change their bouancy much quicker than a bass or other less "primative" fishes. The gar and the tarpon and others also can use their gas bladders as lungs as there is a rich blood supply to the gas bladder in those species. That's one reason that both of those species can survive in water that has very low dissolved oxygen content as they don't have to rely solely on their gills for oxygen.

The gas in the gas bladder of fishes that do not have a connection between the gas bladder and the digestive tract is affected to a large extent by the pressure exerted on it and the temperature of the water. If the pressure on the outside of the fish increases the volume of the gas decreases and/or the pressure in the bladder decreases. If the pressure on the gas decreases, as in when you pull a fish up from deep in the water, the volume of the gas increases and/or the pressure in the bladder increases. When the volume of the gas in the bladder increases it puts pressure on the internal organs and makes the fish more bouant. The pressure on the organs can damage them and the bouancy can make it impossible for the fish to swim back down to the depths to deflate the swim bladder. The gas in the bladder as are all gasses influenced by a law called Boyle's law:

Boyle's law (sometimes referred to as the Boyle-Mariotte law) is one of the gas laws and basis of derivation for the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between the product pressure and volume within a closed system as constant when temperature and moles remain at a fixed measure; both entities remain inversely proportional.[1][2] The law was named after chemist and physicist, Robert Boyle who published the original law in 1662. The law itself can be defined succinctly as follows:

“ For a fixed amount of gas kept at a fixed temperature, P and V are inversely proportional (while one increases, the other decreases).[2] ”

At sea level we experience 1 atmosphere of pressure on our bodies but a fish that is 33.9 feet below the water experiences 2 atmospheres of pressure on it's body. When the fish is caught and brought to the surface the gas in it's gas bladder increases in volume because the pressure being exerted on it is decreased. So, if a fish is caught at 33.9 feet and brought to the surface (at sea level) the gas in it's bladder would potentially occupy two times the volume that it would when it was 33.9 feet down. Just think if you had swallowed a small balloon and suddenly it became twice as large inside of you as you came up from a depth. That would put pressure on your internal organs and that's what happens to fish. The bladder may not double in size, depending on how pliable the gas bladder was but you could understand how getting the air let out of the gas bladder by "fizzing" with a needle would decrease the force on the internal organs and make it so that the fish could dive back down without the bouancy of all of that gas in it's bladder.

If any of you are SCUBA divers you might understand the principle as changing the amount of gas in your BC needs to change depending on the depth of water you are in. It's an interesting way fish have been made to compensate for moving up or down in the water column. It might also help us understand why the change in barrometric pressure in the atmosphere might change a fish's " mood" in that when there is a big change in the barrometric pressure the fish has to change it's depth to compensate for the change in the volume of it's air bladder and therefore it's bouancy. Fish that have a gas bladder that doesn't have the connection with the digestive tract can slowly change the volume in it's bladder but cannot change it quickly in response to large changes in external pressure. I have seen lots of pics of fish that have been caught deep in the ocean with the gas bladder so full that it sticks out of the mouth of the fish but I can't find a pic thus far on the web to post to show how bad it can be.

I hope that I have cleared up some of the whys involved with "fizzing".

DK, the needle has to be sharp becuase it has to pierce through the tissue of the fish, not merely go through an opening.

drumking

polo-dog - 5/27/2008 10:56 AM

scratch.gif

smile_tongue.gif

Deb

Fizzing a bass or other fish releases the pressure that builds up in an organ inside the fish called the "swim bladder". A fish uses it's swim bladder like SCUBA divers use a BC (bouancy compensator). To easily stay at a certain depth a fish must be neutrally bouant, in other words he/she doesn't want to use energy to swim down if it's too bouant or to swim up if it's not bouant enough. The volume of gas that is in a bass's swim bladder cannot be changed quickly because it does not have an opening to the outside of the fish. Some fish such as tarpon and gar can "gulp" air into their swim bladders because they have a connection from the swim bladder to the digestive tract and therefore can change their bouancy much quicker than a bass or other less "primative" fishes. The gar and the tarpon and others also can use their gas bladders as lungs as there is a rich blood supply to the gas bladder in those species. That's one reason that both of those species can survive in water that has very low dissolved oxygen content as they don't have to rely solely on their gills for oxygen.

The gas in the gas bladder of fishes that do not have a connection between the gas bladder and the digestive tract is affected to a large extent by the pressure exerted on it and the temperature of the water. If the pressure on the outside of the fish increases the volume of the gas decreases and/or the pressure in the bladder decreases. If the pressure on the gas decreases, as in when you pull a fish up from deep in the water, the volume of the gas increases and/or the pressure in the bladder increases. When the volume of the gas in the bladder increases it puts pressure on the internal organs and makes the fish more bouant. The pressure on the organs can damage them and the bouancy can make it impossible for the fish to swim back down to the depths to deflate the swim bladder. The gas in the bladder as are all gasses influenced by a law called Boyle's law:

Boyle's law (sometimes referred to as the Boyle-Mariotte law) is one of the gas laws and basis of derivation for the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between the product pressure and volume within a closed system as constant when temperature and moles remain at a fixed measure; both entities remain inversely proportional.[1][2] The law was named after chemist and physicist, Robert Boyle who published the original law in 1662. The law itself can be defined succinctly as follows:

“ For a fixed amount of gas kept at a fixed temperature, P and V are inversely proportional (while one increases, the other decreases).[2] ”

At sea level we experience 1 atmosphere of pressure on our bodies but a fish that is 33.9 feet below the water experiences 2 atmospheres of pressure on it's body. When the fish is caught and brought to the surface the gas in it's gas bladder increases in volume because the pressure being exerted on it is decreased. So, if a fish is caught at 33.9 feet and brought to the surface (at sea level) the gas in it's bladder would potentially occupy two times the volume that it would when it was 33.9 feet down. Just think if you had swallowed a small balloon and suddenly it became twice as large inside of you as you came up from a depth. That would put pressure on your internal organs and that's what happens to fish. The bladder may not double in size, depending on how pliable the gas bladder was but you could understand how getting the air let out of the gas bladder by "fizzing" with a needle would decrease the force on the internal organs and make it so that the fish could dive back down without the bouancy of all of that gas in it's bladder.

If any of you are SCUBA divers you might understand the principle as changing the amount of gas in your BC needs to change depending on the depth of water you are in. It's an interesting way fish have been made to compensate for moving up or down in the water column. It might also help us understand why the change in barrometric pressure in the atmosphere might change a fish's " mood" in that when there is a big change in the barrometric pressure the fish has to change it's depth to compensate for the change in the volume of it's air bladder and therefore it's bouancy. Fish that have a gas bladder that doesn't have the connection with the digestive tract can slowly change the volume in it's bladder but cannot change it quickly in response to large changes in external pressure. I have seen lots of pics of fish that have been caught deep in the ocean with the gas bladder so full that it sticks out of the mouth of the fish but I can't find a pic thus far on the web to post to show how bad it can be.

DK, the needle has to be sharp becuase it has to pierce through the tissue of the fish, not merely go through an opening.

And people thought that CFF was just for dummies! emoThanks for the report, Doc.

polo-dog

drumking - 5/27/2008 3:07 PM

polo-dog - 5/27/2008 10:56 AM

scratch.gif

smile_tongue.gif

Deb

And people thought that CFF was just for dummies! emoThanks for the report, Doc.

I've been called that before.emoAngel emoAngel

FishinMagician

This by far the easiest way to deflate the swim bladder. But just to let everyone know there is a main blood vessel right down the center of gullet of bass. You need to puncture just to the right or left of this blood vessel. If you stick the fish and see blood then you have hit it and the fish will probably not to survive. It is very easy to do this procedure you just need to know were this blood vessel is and how much air to let out.

bass15

Everyone remember that you can let out to much air.Please be careful with your fish..Always keep plenty of frozen water bottles if you plan on keeping your fish.Tight lines!

Excellent article to share Billy! Thanks much! By the way, being that you haven't caught a fish of that quality for QUITE some time, that must be one of Flip's fish???? right? emoPoke emoLaugh