You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | Register Now! )

Sticky A fire drill with Sonar, Down images.....(Pic Heavy)
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3
   Fishing Sonar, GPS and Marine Electronics

Posted by Triton Mike
8/15/2010 7:34 PM
Doctor, The 797 is not capable of SI or DI. You need the 798 to get SI.. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The only Humminbird units that have Side Imaging/Down Imaging are

798Si
898SI
987SI
998SI
1197SI
1198SI
Posted by Doug V
8/15/2010 7:52 PM
If it has a Side Imaging Transducer on the Trolling Motor and the latest update the 797c2 can have SideImaging and Down Imaging. Humminbird was able to rewrite the code and get it to work on the 797c2. At first that didn't think it was possible but they did get it done. Make sure you have an SI Transducer and the unit set to Compact Si and latest update and you will have Si and DI.

Posted by AThornton
8/15/2010 8:22 PM
All that makes perfect sense Mike and Doug. The tidbits to know how much bottom coverage at a given depth is a HUGE plus! No wonder I have missed so much of the stuff I have marked in the past. Hell, I had no idea where it was or which side of the boat to throw out of. I need to play with my settings and go out and find brush in an attempt to get a jig or something stuck in it so I can pinpoint EXACTLY where it is at. Thanks a ton guys! This is one of the most informative threads we have had on here in a while!
Posted by Triton Mike
8/15/2010 11:27 PM
Doug V - 8/15/2010 7:52 PM

If it has a Side Imaging Transducer on the Trolling Motor and the latest update the 797c2 can have SideImaging and Down Imaging. Humminbird was able to rewrite the code and get it to work on the 797c2. At first that didn't think it was possible but they did get it done. Make sure you have an SI Transducer and the unit set to Compact Si and latest update and you will have Si and DI.

Brain fart on my end. I was thinking 787 duh!! Doug is right, Been a rough weekend .
Posted by Doug V
8/16/2010 9:36 AM
Heat getting to Mike??? Fully understand.

----

Since many commented on the Video Clip. I have a several clips on Humminbird with Trips and Tricks plus explaining some of the features:

http://www.youtube.com/user/imonbass

Posted by drdetroit
8/18/2010 3:55 PM
What I have is the 797 c2 which has a label on the unit that says SI???? I do not have the transducer up front. It is on the transom and only shows up on the 997. The motorguide has the standard built-in transducer. When you go through the various screens on the 797 it has SI but there is only a blue screen. Do I still have hope???

Dr Detroit
Posted by Doug V
8/18/2010 4:28 PM
You need to add the SI Transducer to the Trolling Motor and then it will show the SI and DI information with latest software. Built in Transducer are 2D Sonar Only. So there is hope if you add the Compact SI Transducer:

Edited by Doug V 8/18/2010 4:28 PM
Posted by Doug V
8/18/2010 4:30 PM
Since we have been talking about coverage areas of the different sonar...

Here is a great example where the Down Imaging and Side Imaging's very narrow - razor thin beam shows more detail than 2D Sonar. Look at these narrow ditches and you can see the depth in Side Imaging and Down Imaging but in 2D sonar the depth is not displayed due to the size of the coverage area. At the depths we are viewing 20° (200 kHz) coverage is approximately 11 foot or 1/3 of depth. Because these ditches are very narrow the 2D sound waves see them as flat - missing the details that Down Imaging and Side Imaging can show.

Posted by drdetroit
8/25/2010 5:40 PM
Wish me luck I just added the SI transducer to my trolling motor. I will head to the lake in the am to see if it works. Any suggestions let me know. My 797 c2 will never be the same. I want my pictures to look like Triton Mike's.
Posted by Doug V
8/25/2010 5:43 PM
Set scroll speed to 1 area of coverage to 50 and get to work! We want to see some fish catches!

Posted by drdetroit
8/26/2010 5:34 PM
Went to the lake today all looks OK but when the screen is on SI and I hit power on the TM the screen is white until I take my foot off power?????Any recommendations??? I knew the installation of the new transducer was to easy.

DR DETROIT
Posted by Doug V
8/26/2010 5:47 PM
Sounds like your trolling motor is creating Radio Frequency Noise similar to a Frequency used by the unit. I would call HB Customer Service they have solutions to kill the Noise. 800-633-1468.

Posted by team-d
8/26/2010 7:02 PM
Google "trolling motor interference" and you will get hundreds of hits. Two easiest things to try are put a piece of thick (maybe 1/8") piece of rubber gasket material in between the transducer and your trolling motor or go to radio shack and buy an RF choke for the power cord to your trolling motor. Go to this link and scroll down most of the way to the picture of two of these chokes installed...

http://www.thenextbite.com/node/11554

Good luck and look forward to more awesome pics from these side/down image units. If I had time to fish any more I'd make the plunge and buy one...
Posted by Doug V
8/26/2010 7:32 PM
Humminbird Interference Kits have chokes to Kill Interference. ALso make sure your trolling motor is grounded internally. What Brand is it and Year. MinnKota have had internal grounding for a while and fuse protected. A blow fuse can use the same thing. Make sure the fuse in the head is good.

Posted by drdetroit
8/27/2010 12:41 PM
It is a Motorguide Tournament Digital. You guys are great with all your info. I spent the day looking for views like Triton Mike and did not find any.

Thanks,

Doc Detroit
Posted by Doug V
8/27/2010 1:51 PM
Call HB Customer Service they can help you resolve: 800-633-1468

Posted by drdetroit
8/28/2010 1:39 PM
I tried all the above. I used a rubber gasket between the transducer and trolling motor no luck. I place the RF chokes all different places no help. I took the transducer off the motor placed it at least a foot or more from the motor and it still showed interference when power was on at the trolling motor. Then I tried both rubber gasket and RF chokes and no help??????

Dr Detroit
Posted by Doug V
8/29/2010 1:56 AM
Did you get the Interference Kit from Humminbird?

Posted by drdetroit
8/29/2010 3:03 PM
I will call Humminbird this week.

Dr Detroit
Posted by drdetroit
9/1/2010 7:26 PM
They will not send me the interference kit until I isolate the problem. They want me to run a double ground and connect the graph to a separate 12V battery. I will try when possible.

Posted by Ericb
11/26/2010 10:04 PM
that makes it sound so simple, this is the "wrenchin 2" of fishing and especially of humingbird electronics!!! my hat is off to triton mike. seen him last year at natures tackle box at a float n fly seminar and this man really knows what he is talking.
Posted by fishinvol
11/26/2010 10:24 PM
Ericb - 11/26/2010 11:04 PMthat makes it sound so simple, this is the "wrenchin 2" of fishing and especially of humingbird electronics!!! my hat is off to triton mike. seen him last year at natures tackle box at a float n fly seminar and this man really knows what he is talking.
No offense, he does seem to know all about his hummingbird units, but as far as everything else......He is a HACK. That is not just my opinion, it has been proven.
Posted by soddyvolfan
12/16/2010 8:57 PM
Very nice!
Posted by jake19
1/3/2011 11:27 PM
thanks for the post very helpful for running my depth finder
Posted by bulldoglizard
1/5/2011 8:50 AM
Great post.
Spread the word

del.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit BB Google Ma.gnolia Netscape Simpy StumbleUpon Technorati Live Yahoo!

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Advertiser

Advertiser

CFF Calendar
May 2021
SMTWTFS
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9» 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31          

Upcoming events (next 2 weeks)
May 9 Chattanooga Crappie Club TX #2

Advertiser

Random Photo
over 3 lbs

"over 3 lbs"
Album: Chickamauga past & present

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Copyright © 1996-2021 All rights reserved.
Duplication in whole or in part of this Web site without express written consent is prohibited.
CFF Privacy Policy

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2021 PD9 Software