Humminbird vs Lowrance?

GetTheNet12

Which Unit is better? The 1198c SI Combo of Humminbird or the HDS-10 of Lowrance? Trying to decide which one to get....

stratos21xl

Can't go wrong with either brand. I really like my Lowrance units and I have friends with Humminbirds who really like there's as well. Just do some homework and try to see them both in action on the water if possible. There are a lot of video's out there on You Tube of both units and theres some members that post info and video's on here as well. It's a big investment so take your time and be sure to get what you want.

MSBG Jake

It a matter of confedance! Nothing more and nothing less. Ten people are going to say Lowrance and ten people are going to say Humminbird. However, with that said and I have owned both brands, I say Lowrance HDS 10. I never had a problem with any unit I had, you must take care of them its a big investment. I went to the neth degree and made clear covers for every unit I ever owned that protected them for weather, I alway remove them when travelling more than 10 miles or when not in use and they get cleaned and stored in a hard case. Again, it a matter of confedance...I really on my electronics to make a living and 85% of the anglers out there that do own a Lowrance. They are a little harder to learn and operate, but nothing worth doing is ever easy or simple. That's my .02 cents

Fastwin

Humminbird hands down, and while we are making decisions. . . Ford IS better than Chevy. emoLaugh

Fisherman550

I have the H-Bird 998CSi. Love it. Do have a problem though-went to their site today and downloaded the latest update to my computer-can't get it to go to my SD card though. Guess I did something wrong when I downloaded it. Not much with computers :)

Fastwin

When I registered my Humminbird 596c HD DI last week it said there was an update available but there is nowhere on my unit to attach a cable OR insert an SD card. Awesome. emoApplause

Fisherman550, I read that you have to restore your unit to factory defaults before updating your unit but that shouldn't effect getting it onto your SD card. You should just be able to drag-and-drop the file onto the SD icon to move it. You can always Copy/Paste it. That's why I use Apple's. . . tired of dealing with winBLOWS.

emoOffTopic

Fisherman550

It has to be a problem with my knowing how to use the dang puter
! I downloaded it to my MacBook Pro-still have the same problem I had with the Dell. It will just sit there and spin on the Mac. Also, don't have an icon for the SD card. Will have to get son-in-law to do it I guess.

Fastwin

A-well-a, everybody's heard about the bird
Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, well, the bird is the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, b-bird's the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, bird, well, the bird is the word
A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

stratos21xl

Fastwin - 2/15/2011 12:50 PM

When I registered my Humminbird 596c HD DI last week it said there was an update available but there is nowhere on my unit to attach a cable OR insert an SD card. Awesome. emoApplause

They are easy to find on the Lowrance....Access door on bottom right hand side of the units. emoPoke

BulletTJ

I have 2 Humminbird SI units. I have a friend that owns Lowrance units. He likes his and hasnt had a problem. I prefer the Birds because of the free software updates. Both units do the same things. When you get one spend time playing with the settings and learn how to use them. They are great tools, but only as good as your skills using them. ;)

elwestb

I have two little 343 Birds and a 898 SI. I don't want to deal with Lowrance's customer service ever again so I doubt that I'll ever have another one of their products. If you have a problem with the Birds, they are easy to deal with by phone and the turn around is at least three times faster than Lowrance. I actually had a service rep give me his cell phone number and home phone when I was trying to solve an adjustment problem, and he told me when I got on the water that weekend if the problem still existed, to call him and he would walk me through the adjustment! Now, who does that? If you like the Lowrance better, I would strongly suggest that you buy it from Fish 'n Fun. They don't deal with Lowrance directly for service or repair work. They go through a distributor, which is, believe it or not much faster the parent company!? You deal with them instead of the "I don't give a damn" Lowrance Company. Tom up there even told me that! If you want to hear more horror stories about their "customer service", search out several other threads on here in the last year or so.

Oldman

nope ford makes a good truck but their cars suck.