Down imaging vs Side Imaging

preacherman

I am looking to buy a new fish finder. I have already decided on a Hummingbird. I really want a side imaging unit, the 898 to be exact. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for it yet. Should I go ahead and buy a down image unit or just wait and save a little more money until I can buy the side imaging? Is having that side imaging really worth the extra money? emoScratch For information I am considering 788hd di unit which is like $800 from bps. and the 898 $1500 any suggestions would be appericated

Mike Hernandez

Check with Sportsman's Warehouse. If they still have last year's model of the 798 with external GPS, it has down and side imaging. I think it's for around the same price as the 788.

mallardecho

Save your money and buy the biggest Side Imaging unit that you can get. Night and Day between 700 and 800 series even a bigger diffrence in the 900 and 1100 series. Yes if you learn how to use the SI it is worth every penny you spent on it.

Louie B

I'm gonna have to agree. Save your money for Side Imaging. The 500 and 700 Series units are fantastic but Side Imaging is the deal. If you learn how to use it, not only is it worth the money, it's priceless.

LB

groce87

save your money as long as it takes to get a si but dont be scared to find a 997 unit humminbird gives free updates so it would have everything a new unit has on it for a lot less that is the great thing about humminbird there units are not out of date when something new comes out you just update it to your unit

Kingfish

I just bought a HB 798ci HD SI Combo from BBGmarine.com. They were easy to work with. You live in TN andthey are located in Acworth, GA. You pay no sales tax and shipping is free. Give Brian Leiva a call at 888.570.0916 or check out the website.emoThumbsup

BigFish 22

Go to Academy. There 898 are $899 i do believe. Cause i am looking at the same ones that you are, so iv looked everywhere for them and for the best price. But when you buy one let me know which one and if ya like it.

elwestb

... if they 898's for $899 I'll buy several! No, I'll buy all of them! Most of the 898 's are at $1500 or more, 798's are $1000!?

Mike Hernandez

I bought the 798c for $800 at Sportsmans. Dropped the boat off today to have it installed. Hope I get it back by mid to late next week so I can check it out. Will most likely need someone to ride with me a couple days to figure it out though.

I had a 798 sold it to up grade to the 997, I should have keep the 798 or up graded to the 1198 .
I could see the fish better on the 798, the 798 Display Pixel Matrix is 640v x 640h where the 997 Display Pixel Matrix is 480V x 800H and the 1198 has a Display Pixel Matrix: 600V X 800H in other words the 798 is closer to high definition than the 997,998 or the 898 and the 997 ,998, 898 all have digital read outs on the left side of the screen that take up 1 inch of the screen so on a 898 witch has a 7 inch screen the one inch digital read outs cuts your screen down to 6 inches and the 997 - 998 down to a 7 inch screen. Bottom line is if I had a choice between a 798 , 898 or 998 I would buy the 798 or save up and get the 1198.

BPS is not the best place to buy Humminbird. Shop arround on the net and you can pick up a new, factory sealed 898 for less than 1300.

Tennfisher

TightlineT

learnin2fish - 3/25/2011 10:13 PM

I bought the 798c for $800 at Sportsmans. Dropped the boat off today to have it installed. Hope I get it back by mid to late next week so I can check it out. Will most likely need someone to ride with me a couple days to figure it out though.

Who is doing the installation for you?

bronzeback45

www.threeriversmarine.comThey advertise the lowest themanufacturer will allow but lower than that when you place order. Super nice people and if you have warrenty issues they will take care of it instead of haggling with manufacturer.

Mike Hernandez

TightlineT - 3/26/2011 4:00 PM

Who is doing the installation for you?

The guys over at Island Cove, where I bought the boat in '06. Also bought a RAM Mount from them for the unit.