HDS 8 Unit Networking Question

GetTheNet12

I am wanting to buy two HDS 8 units and network them together. Does anyone know what all I need to buy in order to network them?
I get on Lowrance's website and get a little confused on what all I exactly need. Is the LSS-1 StructureScan module what I need to buy to network them? Or is that what comes with the unit to give it the StructureScan?

Also, which mapping would be the wiser decision? The Insight USA maps or the Enhanced US Basemap?

Appreciate any help.

stratos21xl

It depends on what all you want to see and do when you link them. If you have the LSS-1 (Structure Scan) you can link up to 3 HDS units by running an ethernet cable from the LSS-1 to each HDS unit. This will allow you to share waypoints between the connected units. You can also buy a NMEA 2000 starter kit and link the units that way, it's my understanding that the NMEA 2k will give you the ability to link more add on options like command link, engine information, temp or fuel flow sensors so on. You can also share waypoints via the NMEA 2k with or without the structure scan. On the newer motors that are NMEA compatible, you can get a harness that plugs into the motor and will allow you to see real time engine statistics like engine temp, fuel or trip mileage, water pressure, oil pressure, tachometer, fuel flow, and gallons per hour burned.

As far as mapping, if you plan on adding a map card like Navionics or fishing hot spots then I would stick with the base maps, the Insight is nice but it is limited on contour details and is only 2D where the Navionics Platinum or Premium will show greater detail and some high definition contours if that lake has had a HD survey done on it.

GetTheNet12

The HDS 8 says it has structurescan. So does that mean the unit comes with the LSS-1 module? Or is the module something I have to buy separate in order to network the units? Thanks for the help.

bronzeback45

If your wanting to network to share waypoints and sonar then all you need is a 10' ethernet cable. If you plan on buying LSS, it only comes with 1 ethernet cable. I would get basemap too and buy the Lowrance Insight mapcard. It has 4 times greater zoom in 3D than the hds insight. I love mine, espeacially when navigating. It about $200 for it which is about the difference between the basemap and insight. Try www.threeriversmarine.net,they have what you need at prices lower than what they advertise.