You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | Register Now! )

Sticky BOLO (Be On the Lookout) for Tagged Cats
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1
   Fishing Fishing Discussion

Posted by rsimms
5/9/2011 8:24 AM
I started a new "project" May 8... I'm tagging catfish. One of the TWRA biologists gave me some new fish tags to try out that they hope will "hold" better on catfish. Because of their relatively soft skin and no scales, catfish are normally tough to keep a tag on for a long time.

SO, if anybody catches a catfish with a yellow tag on it... please let me know when and where.

We tagged tagged nineteen (19) cats May 8. I've got a hundred tags I hope to be putting on fish over the next two or three weeks.

They DO NOT have a phone number on them. The just say "TWRA ."

I wouldn't expect a huge number of re-captures. Most tagging studies yield a 10 to 20 percent re-capture rate over time. But hopefully we'll have a few. Just PM me here on CFF, or e-mail Richard@ScenicCityFishing.com or call the number on my website (below).

Here's a few pictures that will show you what to watch for.

(tagged_cat.jpg)

(mccoy1.jpg)

(mccoy2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tagged_cat.jpg (98KB - 812 downloads)
Attachments mccoy1.jpg (80KB - 778 downloads)
Attachments mccoy2.jpg (97KB - 777 downloads)
Posted by SpurHunter
5/10/2011 9:03 AM
Do the tags have a particular number on them that you recorded so you know where you tagged them Richard?

I am really keen on knowing more about the travel habits of these catfish.
Posted by rsimms
5/10/2011 10:30 AM
SpurHunter - 5/10/2011 10:03 AM
Do the tags have a particular number on them that you recorded so you know where you tagged them Richard?
I am really keen on knowing more about the travel habits of these catfish.

Yes, I am keeping a record of tag numbers and general locations where they were tagged.
Posted by SpurHunter
5/10/2011 11:22 AM
Very cool. I would love to see you tag some cats on the top side of the dam to see if they migrate through the lock, that would be a very cool find!
Posted by rsimms
5/11/2011 4:50 PM
ttt
Posted by rsimms
5/16/2011 10:14 AM
ttt (again). Just want to keep reminding folks about this. Let me know if you catch a yellow-tagged catfish please. When, where, etc.
Posted by SpurHunter
5/16/2011 10:21 AM
I know you tagged more, but I guess you didnt catch any with tags? I really want to go fish down there now and try to get one!
Posted by rsimms
5/16/2011 10:29 AM
SpurHunter - 5/16/2011 11:21 AM

I know you tagged more, but I guess you didnt catch any with tags? I really want to go fish down there now and try to get one!

I tagged about 20 or 25 more Sunday. I could have tagged that many more Sat. but just plain forgot about it.

Sunday we caught three different cats that had hooks and broken leaders hanging out of their mouths... they weren't even big fish.
Posted by polo-dog
5/19/2011 9:57 PM
Are you interested at all about weights and lengths?
Posted by rsimms
5/20/2011 10:20 AM
polo-dog - 5/19/2011 10:57 PM

Are you interested at all about weights and lengths?

Not at this point... I haven't been recording those details. Due to tag loss (which is very high for soft-skinned cats) and other variables, I really expect to get relatively few returns... and if I get any, they would probably be within a relatively short period of time from the tagging date.

I don't have high enough hopes of longterm tag returns or reports to get any significant growth rate info.... at least not enough to justify the extra effort it takes to gather and record the info.

I just hope I get a few reports which indicate when and where they move for now.
Posted by rsimms
5/23/2011 10:18 AM
First tag return reported... Sam Simons and his partners caught a 16 lb. blue, Tag #60) May 22 that I'd tagged either May 14th or 15th. Of course it was caught in the same vicinity where I tagged it. The question is if we'll get any returns when the cats disperse from the "Spring Run."

BOLO please.
Posted by rsimms
5/31/2011 12:35 PM
Add two more recaptured catfish to the list (one mentioned above). In the last three weeks I've tagged 75 catfish... mostly blues, some channels.

So far a total of three (3) recaptures:

Ironically all three recaptures were tagged May 15th (I think that's just coincidence):

#60 recaptured May 22 by Melrose fishing with shsimons. Recaptured in same vicinity as tagged - near turbines

#98 recaptured May 28, tagged near turbines, recaptured by Rick Lauletta near the Rivermont (Lupton City) Ramp

#54 recaptured May 29 by Brady fishing with shsimons. Recaptured in same vicinity as tagged - near turbines

All recaptures to date have been released...

THANKS EVERYONE! And remember... BOLO for tagged cats.

(tagged_cat_98.jpg)

(tagged_cat_54.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tagged_cat_98.jpg (81KB - 826 downloads)
Attachments tagged_cat_54.jpg (65KB - 783 downloads)
Posted by SpurHunter
5/31/2011 1:15 PM
Very cool stuff.
Posted by Rflauletta
5/31/2011 7:31 PM
goin back out today to try to catch another one of those cats.. that number 98 put up a good fight
Posted by rsimms
6/1/2011 2:07 PM
Rflauletta - 5/31/2011 8:31 PM

goin back out today to try to catch another one of those cats.. that number 98 put up a good fight

Thanks Rick... yea, those channel cats are special. I've always said that if they got as big as blue cats, we'd never get 'em in the boat!
Posted by Hiwassee Angler
6/3/2011 1:27 PM
The FBI guy cracks me up! And nice cat!
Posted by rsimms
6/5/2011 12:17 PM
Had the 4th report of a recapture. Larry Reed caught a tagged blue cat on May 31, ten days after I'd tagged it in the same vicinity. Don't plan on catching that one again however. Larry said that one ended up on a dinner plate.

I finished up with my initial batch of tags... I used the last 25 tags I had Saturday, June 4. I cheated and couldn't resist sticking tags on a couple of nive smallmouth we caught.

That means I've tagged 100 fish since May 8... most blues, a few channel cats and a couple of smallmouth. All tags are bright yellow, placed beneath the dorsal fin and simpy read "TWRA (numbered 1 - 100)"

There have been four re-captures to date... three in same vicinity of initial tagging... one downstream about two miles.

Please let me know if you see or hear about any. Thanks.

Edited by rsimms 6/5/2011 12:22 PM
Posted by fettleman
6/26/2011 7:46 PM
That is awesome I can't wait to try this fall when I return to the area.
Posted by SKIDROW37
6/29/2011 9:57 PM
I'm eager to see where the smallmouth are re-captured
Posted by rsimms
7/19/2011 9:28 AM
I had two more catfish re-captured... both by Jeff Rains.

Both were captured a little over a week ago near the Dam, not far from where they were tagged. One had been tagged May 8th, the other May 29th.

That is six reported recaptures (out of 100 fish tagged) to date. However only one recapture has been reported any significant distance from where it was originally tagged.

Remember, if you see or hear of a catfish sporting a little yellow tag near its dorsal fin, make note of the number and let me know. Just PM me here on CFF, or e-mail Richard@ScenicCityFishing.com or call the number on my website (below).

Thanks!

Edited by rsimms 7/19/2011 9:36 AM
Posted by Bprice
7/19/2011 10:25 AM
This has been fun to follow. Good job Richard.
Posted by rsimms
2/21/2012 4:57 PM
OK, this is cool. I just got word from a TWRA friend that a smallmouth I tagged last summer was recaptured last week (Riverpark area). TWRA friend didn't say (or know) exactly who caught it. He said the fish weighed exactly 5.37.

That sound familiar to anybody?

Below is a photo of it when I caught it June 4th. Maybe you'll recognize it.

I caught it on an ultralight rod with 4 lb. test line. I was fishing with John Sloan and his friend, Judge Durham. Here's the report: www.chattanoogafishingforum.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=55660

Of the hundred tags I used, I believe this is the eighth reported recapture. However I'm certain there have been others that haven't been reported since there was no phone number on the "sample" tags. All reports have come via word-of-mouth on CFF, or via folks who have called TWRA.

Edited by rsimms 2/21/2012 5:02 PM

(Simms-Smallmouth.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Simms-Smallmouth.jpg (89KB - 763 downloads)
Posted by jcsanders79
2/21/2012 8:09 PM
Thats awsome. I was excited to be in on some of the cat taggingthis year. Had a great trip and tagging those fish made it even more interesting!
Posted by SpurHunter
6/18/2012 5:45 PM
Any word from more tags being reported Richard?
Posted by niteowl
6/18/2012 11:42 PM
Just got around to reading this entire post. I find this pretty cool. Wouldn't it be cool if someone caught one all the way at nick dam, or even years from now. I would like to see someone tag a bunch of largemouth from a tournament to see how they travel after release. I know there as been studies in the past but I have never heard of any tagged largemouths being caught. Very cool idea you got. Please keep us posted.

Edited by niteowl 6/18/2012 11:43 PM
Spread the word

del.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit BB Google Ma.gnolia Netscape Simpy StumbleUpon Technorati Live Yahoo!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Advertiser

Advertiser

CFF Calendar
June 2022
SMTWTFS
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30    

Upcoming events (next 2 weeks)

Advertiser

Random Photo

Album: Cast4Bass

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Copyright © 1996-2022 All rights reserved.
Duplication in whole or in part of this Web site without express written consent is prohibited.
CFF Privacy Policy

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2022 PD9 Software