You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | Register Now! )

Sticky BOLO (Be On the Lookout) for Tagged Cats
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2
   Fishing Fishing Discussion

Posted by Rollcast
6/19/2012 8:34 AM
1. Thanks for taking time to help the TWRA. Hopefully, I can get down to the Chick Dam this week to fish. Have to take a paper and pencil to record the number if I'm lucky.
2. Do you catch all those fish (100) yourself? If so, do you give lessons?
3. Glad to see the inflatable PFD on you. I see so many people on the water and on TV shows who don't wear any kind of PFD. Just asking for trouble, IMHO.
Posted by fishinvol
6/19/2012 8:42 AM
RSimms is a fishing guide , so I would say he would give you lessons. He knows what's up that's for sure !
Posted by machinekiller
6/20/2012 9:47 PM
a hole lot people need to do this so we now were they are spawning also when they are
Posted by rsimms
6/22/2012 10:53 AM
Rollcast - 6/19/2012 9:34 AM

1. Thanks for taking time to help the TWRA. Hopefully, I can get down to the Chick Dam this week to fish. Have to take a paper and pencil to record the number if I'm lucky.
2. Do you catch all those fish (100) yourself? If so, do you give lessons?
3. Glad to see the inflatable PFD on you. I see so many people on the water and on TV shows who don't wear any kind of PFD. Just asking for trouble, IMHO.

No more tag reports since the last smallmouth report.

Rollcast... I'm a fishing guide so clients helped me catch the fish. However on a really good day in May, it probably wouldn't be impossible to tag that many all in one day, or at least a weekend.

Since I'm a guide... obviously I "give lessons."
Posted by jigman1
7/19/2012 7:26 PM
We caught a yellow tagged fish below Harrison Bay dam, at River Park. It was a channel cat around 8lbs. I'll have to ask Allen (jig man 2) what he done with the tag. He don't have a computer but when I talk to him I'll find out.
Posted by jigman1
7/19/2012 7:37 PM
I'm sorry thats Chickamagua dam not Harrison Bay. I had brain malfunction I guess.
Posted by rsimms
7/19/2012 9:16 PM
jigman1 - 7/19/2012 8:37 PM

I'm sorry thats Chickamagua dam not Harrison Bay. I had brain malfunction I guess.

jigman1 ... I'd be willing to bet that was one I tagged.

I don't need the tag itself... just the number that was on it. And hopefully the date (or approximate date) it was caught. I can then tell you what date it was originally tagged.

Thanks for your help.
Posted by tsabadlk
2/21/2013 9:58 PM
This is a cool project. I hope to be fishing a lot more for cats this year. It would be fun to catch one thats been tagged.
Posted by rsimms
2/22/2013 10:04 AM
tsabadlk - 2/21/2013 10:58 PM

This is a cool project. I hope to be fishing a lot more for cats this year. It would be fun to catch one thats been tagged.

It's going on two years now since I tagged (in May of 2011). Eight (8) of the 100 tags were reported... but I'm sure more were caught by folks who just didn't know how to report since they didn't have contact info on them. The last one reported was the smallmouth mentioned earlier in this thread. It would be neat if any recaptures came
after this length of time. Thanks for the interest.
Posted by rsimms
9/20/2013 10:32 PM
Well, I was ready to have moderators unpin this thread... but lo and behold, another of my tagged catfish has been recaptured. Wow! It's been well over a year since I had a recapture reported, and most were reported within first few months.

Charles Butler captured a blue cat carrying tag #026 on Sept. 18, 2013. I tagged that catfish May 28, 2011 ... nearly 28 months ago. He said it weighed about 12 lbs. However I didn't record sizes on fish when tagged, so there is no way to know how much it's grown?

I am mainly very glad to know that some fish are still retaining tags. Tag loss is a big problem on catfish.

Of the 100 fish I tagged, this is the 9th recapture reported. I'm sure there have been some (maybe many) others caught that have been un-reported since it has to be virtually all word-of-mouth (no phone number on tags)

Nearly all recaptures have been in the tailwaters close to the Dam, the same general vicinity where all were originally tagged in May of 2011.

Thanks for sharing Charles ... it's fun to know we've handled the same fish more than 2 years apart.
Posted by porthos33
9/23/2013 7:27 PM
Just heard about you doing the tagging. That's a great idea. I'm really interested where the bass you have tagged end up. I've been fishing below the dam a whole lot more. I'll definitely be trying to catch one of these fish.
Posted by shsimons
3/18/2014 6:05 PM
I caught number 72, at 37 inches long, the other day!
Posted by porthos33
3/18/2014 11:45 PM
Sweet, Did you catch it close to the dam>?
Posted by rsimms
3/19/2014 9:17 AM
shsimons - 3/18/2014 7:05 PM

I caught number 72, at 37 inches long, the other day!

Hmmm? I thought I'd responded, but yes, Sam caught it in the same vicinity where it was tagged on May 21, 2011 ... almost three years ago. Of course that doesn't mean it stayed there the entire time.

This is the 10th recapture reported and as mentioned before, I'm sure there have been more that have bee unreported since I'm having to depend solely on word-of-mouth. There were no "contact numbers" on the tags I was provided.

I truly thought however that I'd heard the last of the tags.. It is super cool that my good friend Sam Simons caught one. Now I wish I'd taken the time to record lengths when I tagged them... but most of the time I had clients with me so we were in a rush to "tag & go!"
Posted by porthos33
3/19/2014 11:15 AM
Well if you ever get to tag again I would be willing to help. I love the idea. It would be cool to tag those big ole Florida strain bass up on chick too.

Edited by porthos33 3/19/2014 11:43 AM
Posted by rsimms
5/1/2014 2:11 PM
Another recapture... last Saturday Emily Broadwater, fishing with my friend Ty Konkle (CFF's tbinchrist) caught catfish #41. It has been three years since I tagged that fish. I am really amazed that some tags have hung on that long.

I have to double-check my records, but I believe this makes the 12th re-capture reported out of a 100 fish tagged.

The fish was 36-inches long and weighed 25 lbs. Sadly, when I was tagging I was in a rush and didn't bother getting length measurements. I really wish I had now so I would have a good idea of growth rates.

Meanwhile, if you or anyone you know captures a catfish (or one smallmouth) below Chickamauga sporting a yellow tag at its dorsal fin (see below), please let me know by e-mailing richard@sceniccityfishing.com ... or posting here.

Edited by rsimms 5/1/2014 2:27 PM

(emily.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments emily.jpg (49KB - 362 downloads)
Posted by porthos33
5/1/2014 4:05 PM
That's pretty remarkable! I think this is my favorite thread! The fish looks like it is going to eat her
Posted by gonefishing31
6/3/2014 8:54 PM
This is pretty cool
Posted by rsimms
6/1/2016 10:04 AM
This post is so old, I have considered having Moderators "unpin" it from the top.

However, lo and behold, I just had another recapture reported... a catfish I originally tagged on May 21, 2011... FIVE YEARS AGO! It was recaptured recently by David Thompson, Earl Howell and Steve Whisler (pictured).

What's more interesting is that shsimons recaptured the same fish (#72) as well in March 2014.

So, the tally now is that of 100 fish tagged in May of 2011, I've had twelve reported recaptures. One fish recaptured twice. I did not record lengths/weights when I tagged fish because I really had zero expectations of longterm results that might yield any growth rates. Silly me. But you can see the majority of reported recaptures occurred the same year I tagged them.

11 percent recapture might sound sort of low, but I suspect the number is actually much higher. They were just "sample tags" a friend at TWRA gave me and carried NO contact information. The only way folks could report a recapture is if they had seen, or got word of this post on CFF. Or if they reported it to friends at TWRA who knew I'd done this. I am very certain other folks have probably recaptured some, but without any contact info on the tags, they didn't bother trying to report. Tag loss is also high on catfish since they are relatively soft-skinned.

But I am astounded at getting a new report after five years, especially of a fish already recaptured once before.

If you have caught, or know anyone who has caught, a catfish (or one smallmouth) bearing a small cylindrical yellow tag, please let me know (along with the tag #, when and where, if possible). Some pictures of tagged fish at the beginning of this thread. Here is the recapture info I have to date:

ALL FISH TAGGED MAY (OR EARLY JUNE) 2011
#60 - Recaptured by Melrose fishing with shsimons May 22, 2011 drifting turbines
#98 - Recaptured May 28, 2011 at Rivermont Hole, recaptured by Rick Lauletta (photo previous post)
#54 - Recaptured May 29, 2011 by Brady, fishing with shsimons (photo previous post)
#69 - Recaptured May 31, 2011 by Larry Reed, came area as it was tagged (was kept and cleaned for dinner)
#30 - Recaptured by Jeff Rains, July 2011
#77 - Recaptured by Jeff Rains, July 2011
#42 - Recaptured via Bill Frazier Oct. 10, 2011
#99 - Smallmouth recaptured 2/21/2012, name unknown, reposted via TWRA biologist (see photo of fish in previous post)
#26 - Recaptured by Charles Butler, Sept. 18, 2013
#41 - Recaptured by Emily Broadwater fishing w/Ty Konkle April 2014
#72 - Recaptured by Sam Simons, March 15, 2014,
#72 - Recaptured AGAIN May 2016 by David

Edited by rsimms 6/1/2016 10:48 AM

(Number_72_Tag_Recapture_web.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Number_72_Tag_Recapture_web.jpg (84KB - 284 downloads)
Posted by SpurHunter
6/1/2016 10:44 AM
How cool is that?!?!

I hope to have some recaptures of catfish we tagged with a simple method of color coded zip ties on dorsal fins we did last spring/summer on Chic on lots of flatheads and some blue cats.
Posted by bssmeistr
6/24/2018 8:47 AM
I fish below chick dam a good bit mostly for bass. We catch multiple species but look for smallies the most. Would love to catch a smallie like the above pic. I will most definately bolo for those yellow tags in the future.
Posted by rsimms
6/25/2018 9:29 AM
bssmeistr - 6/24/2018 9:47 AM

I fish below chick dam a good bit mostly for bass. We catch multiple species but look for smallies the most. Would love to catch a smallie like the above pic. I will most definately bolo for those yellow tags in the future.

Thanks... no reports of these tags since 2016. However it's possible some have been caught and not reported. Good luck!
Posted by Biglew
6/25/2018 10:38 AM
I usually use chicken breast for the blue cats. Never got one tagged and would love too see one.
Spread the word

del.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit BB Google Ma.gnolia Netscape Simpy StumbleUpon Technorati Live Yahoo!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Advertiser

Advertiser

CFF Calendar
November 2019
SMTWTFS
          1 2
3» 4 5 6 7 8 9
10» 11 12 13 14 15 16
17» 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Upcoming events (next 2 weeks)

Advertiser

Random Photo

Album: Bprice by the pictures...

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Copyright © 1996-2019 All rights reserved.
Duplication in whole or in part of this Web site without express written consent is prohibited.
CFF Privacy Policy

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software