BuzzBaits 101, Assassinator Baits

MSBG Jake

Capt Jake’s (Mid South Bass Guide) Buzz-Bait’s 101, Tips and Tactics

Over the years, I have noticed that most bass anglers and my clients in general, agree there is nothing more exciting than watching the water explode in response to the action of a top-water lure. Enticing a surface strike requires you to get their attention. Among top-water lures few, if any, come close to creating the attention and surface disturbance as does the buzz-bait!
There is several ways to entice that explosive big bite on top-water; one is with a Buzz-Bait, Assassinator Buzzbaits are just the ticket! The unique splashing, sputtering, and gurgling commotion created by a buzz-bait is very hard to resist, even for a bass that is being lazy. In addition to reinforcing the worth of this time proven big bass catcher; this article is designed to provide you with some pointers which should help improve your strike and hook-up percentages with a buzz-bait.
As with any lure, successful bass catching requires us to make adjustments in our presentation until we hit the one the bass seem to be most responsive too. Employing a buzz-bait is no different. I prefer 1/4oz., 3/8oz or 1/2oz. buzz-baits made of high quality materials that can take a beating from the largest of fish and hold together. Worn-in lures tend to produce a squeaky noise which I believe gives the lures added appeal. One of the "noise" enhancing modifications I like to make is to bend the blade arm slightly downward so that the blade ticks the shaft as it rotates. Another is to drill several holes in the blade so that it emits a "bubble" trail as it moves across the water.
Learning how to present your lure properly is simply a matter of practice and trial/error each day you’re on the water. One day it may be a fast (burn) retrieve and the next it might be just fast enough to keep the lure chugging along the surface of the water. It is important to engage your reel just before the lure hits the water. Doing so removes any slack from your line and allows you to start your retrieve before the bait has a chance to sink. During the retrieve, I hold my rod tip up which keeps the bait in proper contact with the water but not so high as to lift the bait from the water or prevent me from generating a solid hook set. As the bait approaches to the boat, I gradually lower my rod tip thereby allowing the bait to maintain proper contact with the water. Use caution in the last ten feet of your retrieve, a fair amount of the time fish will follow your lure all the way back to the boat and try to take it from you at the last minute. It’s always a good idea to figure eight your lure just prior to loosing contact with the water.
Colors, I prefer white, black/red best in clear water; in stained water I have been known to tie on a combination chartreuse/ white, chartreuse/ blue or the famed Guntersville Red. My color choice is usually predicated on the light conditions, water clarity and time of the year. One other aspect that can make a huge difference is the “Delta Blade” or “Prop” as many know the varying the color from polished aluminum to a black or gold can make all the difference in your fishing trip.
Lastly, let’s talk lure make up and why the Assassinator Buzz-Bait is the only buzzbait you’ll find on my boat. Assassinator Baits are custom made with premium materials one lure at a time in the USA. The head of the lure is turned side which adds lift and allows the lure to be worked slower on the surface. The delta blade is constructed so that the wire passes through the blade, verses only attaching at the top and bottom. The wire its self is a durable stainless steal .042, with a 45 degree bend which provides for a better hook up ratio and can handle to biggest of fish, whether it’s a mother of all bass or one of those giant toothy creature Muskies from the North Country. See illustration below.

Get your Assassinator Buzz-Baits today at www.assassinatorbaits.com

If you have any questions drop me a line at msbassguide@comcast.net or checkout my website at www.midsouthbassguide.com. Better yet, let's go fish’in…Just give me a call at (615) 613-2382 to reserve your day on the lake with Captain Jake Davis, Mid-South Bass Guide

Attachments

• Dustin\'s Mudd PA Buzz - Copy.jpg
    Dustin\'s Mudd PA Buzz - Copy.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 458