USCG OUPV 6 pack Captains license

captshaneoneal

If you are interested in going through SeaSchool in mid February 2012 to get your United States Coast Guard OUPV 6 pack Captains license here locally in Chattanooga, please contact me at 423-326-9768. I am getting a class together and need to see how many might be interested.

Also, if you have any questions about it, call me.

CATCHMAN

Under what circumstances would someone need a captain's liscense?

rsimms

CATCHMAN - 12/7/2011 5:16 PM

Under what circumstances would someone need a captain's liscense?

Although it is "loosely enforced," Tennessee fishing guides (on navigable waterways) are supposed to have one. And anyone else who captains a vessel on the Tennessee River for ANY commercial purpose.

When I went through the class there were several people who were expecting to be hired to move private vessels from one moorage to another, or hoped to work for other commercial water-based businesses in the area... while many people just took it to further their own boating knowledge and navigation skills.

donberry

my brother lives in Caoe Coral and everyone and their brother always wanted to go fishing with him so he got his Capt License last year. From what he told me it was no walk in the park getting that. I didn't think it would be super simple, but seemed like it was a whole lot harder than I thought it would be. Anyone with that definitely deserves some respect.

captshaneoneal

Okay guys, here is what I know so far. The class dates will be starting February 18, 2012 thru February 26, 2012.
Saturday and Sundays will be from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday thru Fridays will be from 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm
Cost will be $450.00 per person for the class if you pay by December 31, 2011, if you pay after December 31, 2011 then the cost will be $550.00 per person. You must be 18 years old to take the class. The school will be conducted through SeaSchool. The date will not be listed on their website but all the information as far as qualifications, supplies needed for class, etc. can be found on their website. The class will be held at Catoosa County Fire Dept. in Ringgold, GA.

If you have any other questions or want to sign up, please contact me at 423-326-9768.

BigFishGuide

The test is HARD (Tricky) and the paper work......Well just be prepared to do lots of paper work. I just re-newed my license this year...TWIC, Drug test, eye test, Complete and thorough Health Exam, Hearing test, Not to mention all the paper work.... Did I mention paper work...proof of your time on the water, Background check etc etc. But in the end it a good feeling to obatain that License. BTW did I mention all the paper work.

dch

I do not know what I'm talking about but I was told by a Captain that there are certain liabilities that come with having your Captains License. The example he used is if there is an accident and a licensed captain is on the boat even if he or she is not operating it, the Captain could be liable. I would like to know if anyone knows the details on this or if there is any truth to it.

rsimms

dch - 12/13/2011 5:17 PM

I do not know what I'm talking about but I was told by a Captain that there are certain liabilities that come with having your Captains License. The example he used is if there is an accident and a licensed captain is on the boat even if he or she is not operating it, the Captain could be liable. I would like to know if anyone knows the details on this or if there is any truth to it.

I don't know, but common sense tells me that if it is MY boat (which I own/operate) routinely, then yes, I might ultimately be responsible if I allow someone else to operate it. When you do all the USCG paperwork BigFish mentioned, you must clear identify the vessel(s) you routinely operate and provide proof of insurance.

However if I am simply a passenger on a vessel owned/operated by another party... I cannot imagine that I would be held legally responsible for its safe operation.

But again... that's just common sense talking... not a legal opinion.

BigFishGuide

Everybody is responsible for the rules of the road, regardless of whether you are licensed. Going through the training and becoming licensed only helps you become more aware of the rules and responsibilities as a boat owner and driver. You should know the rules of the road before you set sail anyway....But most dont and take off across the river with out a clue.

I also forgot in my prior post you will need an acredited CPR class 4hr. and a first aid class 8hr.

As a side note NO one operates my boat without my consent. I am insured and my name is tied to that boat through the Coast Guard. But I'm like Richard If I am aboard your boat common sense says it's your boat it's your responsibility I should not be liable for someone elses equipment or boat....Now if your acting crazy and putting me in an unsafe situation and your not doing anything about it then I am going to take action and take over the vessel. Thats common sense talking.

captshaneoneal

UPDATED INFORMATION:

There has been alot of discussion on the dates for the Captains Class. I have talked to Sea School and they have revised the dates because of the conflict of the CBA tournament on February 25th. Here is the schedule for the class:
February 18th and February 19th - 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
February 20th, 21st, and 22nd - 4:00 pm to 10:30 pm
February 23rd and February 24th - 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
no class on February 25 (Go fishing!)
Test on February 26th

The cost of the class is $500.00 and will still be held at Catoosa County Fire Station #1 in downtown Ringgold, GA. There is only room for 24 people and the slots are filling up quick so please contact me or Stacey as soon as possible if you are interested in signing up. If you have any questions for me, it is better to call me rather than post the question because unfortunately, I don't get to check the forum as often as I would like to.

Capt. Shane 423-326-9786 or Stacey 423-595-2770

seajinx

Captshaneoneal, as a professional mariner. it might be wise to let the public know, the age limit when applying for a USCG license and exams needing to be passed before license is in hand. I'm assuming the USCG requires for a physical also for any USCG License. Inform you clients before hand, please.