H20 Mettle reel

Jacrow101

Well this week i decided to buy a pretty cheap reel (under $70) for throwing the A-rig with. I'm not a huge fan of the rig, but it DOES catch fish, so i figure it's smart to have a combo set up specifically for this rig. I bought the H20 Mettle reel in 6.3.1 ratio for $50, and honestly expecting to bring it back, I threw some suffix super braid in 65lb. on an UH Champion rod. First cast yesterday... swoshhhhhhhhhhh. That sucker threw a mile. As smooth as it casted it reeled the same. I am a huge lews fan so it's hard to say it will not be replaced here soon, but for right now it'll be used and for $50 hey i'm glad i gave it a try. After reading online it seems that daiwa makes these reels and there are many indications that this is true.

Jacrow101

Yes i went out this morning and tried it out again, and it out threw the spool.... I can honestly say i've never out threw the spool on any reel. (granted if there's one thing the reel lacks is spool size) It's rated at 120 yards of 12lb. and it holds around 100 yards of suffix super braid. I out threw the spool a couple of times, I saw it getting low and would stop it before hitting the end of coarse but if i wouldn't have stopped it it would have kept going! The reel does need some oil, i believe they come a little dry from the shop.

Jacrow101

I know chris you told me to try them out, and they're great. can't beat $50. hell buy one and if you don't love it give it to someone to learn on.

Hbnel5on

After reading this, and hearing several guys in the club talking about them I wanted to try one. It's almost like accademy knew! They went on sale 30$ So I went and picked one up. I'm VERY impressed! It's really smooth and outcasts my lews... I know I know..

Javelin33

They are pretty good reels, especially for the money. We bought a few last year and it seemed like every now and then you would get a bad one. Good thing about Academy is it's easy to return things.

ditchdoc666

Have 10 of them on the boat for my tx rods and been using them for past two years and had to return one of them ,for the money you can't beat them,and I am rough on reels, and fish three day a week most of the time

SethColeman

Bought a few for my buddy who is just starting to bass fish. Rigged him one with braid for frogging, and it will cast a mile. Just got to see how it holds up under a load.

VolsFan24

I read this thread and it inspired me to go buy a couple of them. Feels nice in my hand and seems smooth, but every reel does at first. Im hoping it is half as good as you guys say. I have a question though, would changing the bearings to boca bearings make the reel more durable or just perform better? Is that something worth doing on a lower end reel?
I bought 2 yesterday

Yfz45011

I bought one after reading thos also and used it cor first time today and like it pretty good once i finally got it set up.

VolsFan24

After having the reel for a month and using it on about 5 trips, I'm a fan. Still casts and reels like it did on day 1. I did oil it some after the first use, but that was only because I was oiling my other 2 reels. I bought 2 about a month ago; I use 1 with mono for top water and keeping lures high in the water, and the other one is sitting in my tackle box as a backup (if I had another rod it would be spooled and used for sure). I don't know if they are still on sale, but these would be great back ups for higher quality reels or great for anyone looking for a cheap reel. If the rods are just as good as the reels, and they have a sale on them, I may have to buy one so I can use my other reel.