DELAYED MORTALITY-Keep those fish alive - Summer

TNRIVERGUIDE

MOST OF THE INFORMATION IN THIS THREAD IS FROM AN ARTICLE I READ SEVERAL YEARS AGO ABOUT THE DELAYED MORTALITY OF BASS THAT WERE RELEASED AFTER TOURNAMENTS WERE OVER. JUST BECAUSE A FISH IS STILL ALIVE AT A WEIGH-IN DOESN'T MEAN THAT FISH IS GOING TO LIVE TO BE CAUGHT ANOTHER DAY. SEVERAL STUDYS CONFIRMED THAT DELAYED MORTALITY RUNS AS HIGH AS 33% OR MORE FOLLOWING TOURNAMENTS DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS. THESE HIGH RATES OF DELAYED MORTALITY CAN CAUSE A BIOLOGICAL PROBLEM ON LAKES WITH HIGH ANGLING PRESSURE. I AM SURE THAT OUR AREA LAKES WOULD BE CONSIDERED HIGH PRESSURE LAKES. THE BEST WAY TO REDUCE DELAYED MORTALITY IS TO TAKE CARE OF THE FISH IN THE LIVEWELL BECAUSE IF THE BASS ARE NOT CARED FOR IN THE LIVEWELL, THE TREATMENT GIVEN TO THEM AT THE WEIGH-IN WON'T MATTER. HERE IS WHAT THE ARTICLE SAYS IS THE BEST WAY TO ENSURE YOUR BASS STAY HEALTHY AFTER WEIGH-IN. I HAVE USED THIS FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND IT WORKS GREAT. IF THE WATER IS BELOW 75 DEGREES, PUMP IN FRESH WATER CONTINUOUSLY (NOT TIMED). IF THE WATER IS ABOVE 75 DEGREES, FILL THE LIVEWELL IN AN OPEN LAKE AREA WITH GOOD WATER QUALITY. THEN RUN THE AERATOR PUMP CONTINUOSLY TO KEEP THE WATER OXYGENATED. RECIRCULATE RATHER THAN PUMP IN HOT LAKE WATER. USE ICE TO COOL THE WATER AND SLOW THE METABOLISM OF THE FISH. A FROZEN HALF GALLON JUG WILL COOL A 15 GALLON LIVEWELL ABOUT 10 DEGREES FOR THREE HOURS. ALSO, ADD 1/3 CUP OF NON-IODIZED SALT FOR EVERY FIVE GALLONS. THIS HELPS THE BASS MAINTAIN ELECTROLYTE BALANCE AND REDUCES STRESS. REJUVENATE OR CATCH & RELEASE CAN BE USED AS DIRECTED INSTEAD OF SALT. AFTER THREE HOURS, DRAIN HALF OF THE LIVEWELL WATER AND REFILL WITH FRESH WATER. THIS REMOVES TOXINS SUCH AS CARBON DIOXIDE AND AMMONIA. THEN ADD HALF THE AMOUNT OF ICE AND SALT. OR, IF YOUR LIVEWELLS ARE SEPERATE YOU CAN FILL UP THE OTHER LIVEWELL NOT BEING USED, PUT IN THE PROPER AMOUNT OF ICE AND SALT AND MOVE THE FISH OVER TO THE FRESH WATER. DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS I ALWAYS HAVE MY LIVEWELL READY BEFORE BLAST OFF BECAUSE WHEN THE FIRST FISH IS CAUGHT I DONT WANT THAT FISH LAYING IN THE BOTTOM OF A DRY LIVEWELL AND THEN HAVING TO PREPARE THE WATER WITH ICE AND SALT. ALSO, WHEN A FISH IS HOOKED DEEP AND BLEEDING, I GET THE FISH IN THE TREATED WATER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND THE FISH IS USUALLY JUST FINE. TREATING THE WATER WITH ICE AND SALT ALSO HELPS THE FISH THAT ARE CAUGHT DEEP THAT HAVE SWOLLEN AIR BLADDERS. THESE FISH WILL FLOAT UPSIDE DOWN FOR A WHILE OR SOMETIMES UNTIL WHEIGH-IN BUT WHEN THEY ARE RELEASED THEY SWIM OFF JUST FINE. WE GO OUT AND SPEND TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS ON OUR BOATS AND EQUIPMENT. SPEND COUNTLESS HOURS ON THE WATER PURSUING THESE FISH. WITH VERY LITTLE EFFORT, WE CAN KEEP THESE FISH ALIVE TO BE CAUGHT ANOTHER DAY AND HELP OUR LAKES PRODUCE MORE AND BIGGER BASS.

Bprice

RE: DELAYED MORTALITY

Excellent post Rogie... welcome to the board!

churly

Thats awsome! Now if you could just give us a tutorial on how to catch 18+ lbs. in 40 degree water!

Just kidding! Congrats on the win! Your knowledge is welcomed here!

DHaun

Welcome to CFF Rogie! That's some great info there - I hope it helps to inform many area anglers who may not be aware of those methods.

Andrew

Rogie, how long should you wait after you put the salt in to put the fish in? I know you said you have your ready before you get to the ramp but what would be a good time to wait after the salt desolves in the water. Assuming you have to do it at the ramp. Thanks

Cajin

Has delayed mortality been seen in other species also that anyone has noticed and is there different techniques for different species to help ensure survival?

TKbigbass

Hey Rogie,
How about some pointers on letting the air out of expanded air bladders? I know alot of fish that are caught deep suffer from this in the summer time. I've seen you save a lot of fish that are belly up when released at weigh ins.

Got any illustrations you can post?

TNRIVERGUIDE

ITS BEST TO PUT THE SALT IN BEFORE YOU PUT THE FISH IN, BUT IF YOU HAVE TO PUT THE SALT IN WITH FISH ALREADY IN THE LIVEWELL TRY NOT TO POUR IT DIRECTLY ON THE FISH. THE SALT GOES TO THE BOTTOM AND DESOLVES QUICKLY AS LONG AS THE AERATOR PUMP IS RUNNING.

TNRIVERGUIDE

I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY ILLUSTRATIONS OR INFORMATION ON THIS TECHNIQUE. I SAW A TELEVESION SHOW SEVERAL YEARS AGO ABOUT IT AND WAS ABLE TO FIND ONE WEB SIGHT THAT DISCUSSED HOW TO DO IT BUT I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND THE WEB SIGHT SINCE THEN. HOWEVER, THIS IS THE TECHNIQUE THAT B.A.S.S. USED LAST YEAR. ALL AIR BLADDER TECHNIQUES ARE CONTROVERSIAL BECAUSE OF THE RISK OF PUNCTURING AN ORGAN THAT MIGHT KILL THE FISH. USING THE THROUGH THE MOUTH TECHNIQUE IS MUCH LESS INVASIVE TO THE FISH AND THERE IS A VERY SMALL CHANCE OF PUNCTURING AN ORGAN. I DON'T RELEASE THE AIR FROM ANY FISH UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN WEIGHED-IN AND SEE IF THE FISH CAN SWIM OFF ON ITS OWN. I DON'T WANT TO STICK A NEEDLE IN A FISH IF IT CAN SWIM OFF ON ITS OWN. IF THE FISH ARE BEING TAKEN CARE OF PROPERLY WHILE IN THE LIVEWELL AND THEY ARE FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN, I BELIEVE THE FISH ARE STRESSED AND DISORIENTED AND WILL PROBABLY RECOVER.

I WILL TRY TO EXPLAIN THIS THE BEST I CAN. DIRECTLY ABOVE THE THROAT THERE ARE TWO MUSCLES THAT ARE REDISH PINK. THERE IS A VERTICAL LINE OF RAISED SKIN OR TISSUE THAT RUNS VERTICALLY THROUGH THESE TWO MUSCLES TOWARD THE TOP OF THE MOUTH. DIRECTLY ABOVE THESE TWO MUSCLES AND ON BOTH SIDES OF THE RAISED LINE OF SKIN, THERE IS A SMALL PIT OR INDENTION. THE PIT OR INDENTION IS WERE THE NEEDLE WILL ENTER. IT IS ABOUT A QUARTER INCH ABOVE THE THROAT AND VERY SLIGHTLY OFF TO THE SIDE OF THE RAISED LINE OF TISSUE. THE ANGLE OF THE NEEDLE SHOULD BE GOING TOWARD THE MIDDLE OF THE FISH. THE AIR BLADDER IS DIRECTLY BEHIND THE RAISED LINE OF TISSUE AN 1/8 TO A 1/4 OF AN INCH. DON,T PUT THE NEEDLE THROUGH THE RAISED LINE OF TISSUE BECAUSE THERE ARE BLOOD VESSELS THAT TRAVEL DOWN THAT LINE AND IF THE NEEDLE HITS ONE THE FISH WILL BLEED BAD. WHEN PUSHING IN THE NEEDLE, ONCE THE NEEDLE FILLS LIKE IT HAS GONE THROUGH THE SKIN AND IT FILLS LIKE IT HAS HIT AIR OR YOU HEAR THE AIR COMING OUT STOP AND HOLD THE NEEDLE STILL. ITS BEST TO HOLD THE FISH UNDER WATER AFTER THE NEEDLE IS IN THE RIGHT PLACE TO SEE THE BUBBLES BECAUSE ONCE THE BUBBLES START TO SLOW DOWN THE NEEDLE SHOULD BE REMOVED. TRY NOT TO LET TOO MUCH AIR OUT BECAUSE THE FISH WILL SINK TO THE BOTTON. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO HAVE TO REPEAT THE PROCESS AGAIN THAN TO LET OUT TO MUCH AIR.

THANKS FOR THE emoWelcome

Fishin Fool

LOTS of good info for a serious problem. Thanks and welcome to the forum!emoWelcome

TNRIVERGUIDE

THAT LINK HAS GOOD INFO IF YOU WANT TO RELEASE THE AIR FROM THE SIDE. THE REASON I DON'T RELEASE THE AIR FROM THE SIDE IS IF I MISS THE AIR BLADDER, THERE ARE VITAL ORGANS JUST UNDER THE AIR BLADDER THAT IF PUNCTURED WILL PROBABLY KILL THE FISH. ALSO, BY GOING THROUGH THE MOUTH, THERE IS NO NEED TO REMOVE A SCALE BEFORE USING THE NEEDLE.

AND ABOUT RELEASING THE AIR BEFORE A FISH IS PUT INTO THE LIVEWELL, WHEN USING ICE AND SALT, I RARELY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH FISH SWIMMING AWAY JUST FINE AFTER BEING WEIGHED-IN. I PREFER TO USE A NEEDLE AS A LAST RESORT.

THERE ARE MANY OPINIONS ABOUT THIS SUBJECT, THAT IS WHY IT IS SO CONTROVERSIAL.

GOFNFSH

ROGIE....YOU THE MAN.....I CONSIDER MYSELF LUCKY TO KNOW AND FISH WITH YOU!!!
HEY LETS ALL WISH ROG GOOD LUCK IN THIS YEARS BASSMASTERS OPENS.... WE CAN ALL LEARN FROM HIM AND HIS WAYS!! SHANEemoToast

rrigsby

I was actually planning on bring this topic back up and adding a little bit of info that goes right along with this topic that I almost had to learn the hard way in a recent tournament. So, perfect timing Spurhunter!

I recently fished a 4 day tournament on Pickwick/Wilson Lakes were I had more dead fish than I would like to talk about on one of the tournament days. I used all the guidelines that Rogie laid out in this topic but failed to keep my fish alive. After talking with other anglers at weigh-in to see if they had any thoughts why my fish did not make it, I came to the conclusion of this.

---NEVER FILL YOUR LIVEWELLS ABOVE THE AERATOR SPRAY HEAD!!!---

(The aerator sprayer is meant to be above the waterline in order to add oxygen back to the water and help release CO2 that the fish release.)

That day I had the water level all up to the livewell lid thinking more water was a good thing. Well, in this case it isn't. There was absolutely no chance of proper aeration in my livewell. All I was doing was circulating the water in the livewell rather than aerating the water so my fish suffocated! I really never thought about it at the time. As a side note, I always plug my overflow hole during the 3-hour cycle so I don’t lose water while running up/down the lake.

The next tournament day I kept the water level an inch or two below the sprayer head and used these guidelines that Rogie laid out and my fish were quite happy come weigh-in!

Luckily, in the long run this error did not cost me position or money, just a little embarrassment and grief for the fish. And, I vow to never let it happen again.

Let my lesson be a lesson to you and the survival of your fish.

NRG

I know a couple of pros that actually have a refrigerant and liquefied oxygen system installed in their boats, and had insulated live wells and live well lids installed, they still add salt but don't have to worry about the water temp or recirculation of fresh water all computer controlled, digital read out on dash and on front console keeps them alerted to temp, PH, and O2 levels in the live well, pricey but and little innovation and thought you could build a similar system for allot less than they paid for theirs.

Google your ideas to see what comes up, someone out there my have plans to build these 2 pros life support systems, they have never weighed in a dead fish since the installation of these systems, the systems where custom built by a engineer buddy , who is also a fisheries biologist at an aquarium in California.
If you TX fish for big bucks .. FLW etc .. it may pay off in one TX won by not have a DOA penalty.