Smokin turkeys

jig fisher

Smoked my first turkey Christmas Eve. I used my 40' Masterbuilt electric. Plenty of smoke, moist and tender. Used hickory and a little apple wood. Anyone else smoked turkeys?

Mansell82

I smoked one for Thanksgiving, best turkey I've ever had! 12 pounder took 7 hours on my egg smoker. Brined it overnight then smoked it with just the usual lump charcoal and some apple wood. I did mine breast up but next time I think I'll flip it about halfway through and let some of that dark meat juice run down through it.

dragfish

Yeah-did 5 breasts for Thanksgiving and 1 breast for Christmas. Brining is the key! Where did you get a 40' Masterbuilt? You could have done 50 turkeys!
Just kidding on the typo.
What model of Masterbuilt do you have? I bought their low end electric and wish I'd have spent more on their digital insulated one.
On Thanksgiving eve I loaded mine up and filled the pans. When I turned it on the light came on but 1/2 hour later-no smoke!!!
The ground wire split (no idea how) so I had to tear the control box apart and do some soldering at 9 pm!
They all came out fine-so much easier than babysitting charcoal.

porthos33

Smoking a turkey is the absolute best way to do a turkey by far! To me it's way better than the oven or deep frying them.

jg1456

Been smoking and frying turkeys for the last 10 years or so. Smoked in my opinion is the best. If you like deep fried, the oil less fryers they have out now are the way to go. Looks and taste just like deep fried minus paying for a jug of peanut oil.