Mounting Gopro camera to boat

fish4thepeck

Wife bought me a Gopro for Christmas and was hoping for some suggestions for mounting your camera to your boat. Thanks!

Blue76

I like to use the suction cup mount and place it on my wind shield... I also took an extra case and routed a hole in the side with a dremel grinder so I could plug the camera directly into a power source. No worries about dead batteries. Just don't forget and let it get caught in the rain or stick it under water.

The worst part about using a camera is editing the footage... Maybe not for you because you seem to catch a lot more fish than I do :) but for me there are hours of no action. I found the best way for me to get through all that dead time is to stop the recording after I catch a fish and restart it. That way I know the action is always at the end of the video. I can skip right to it and delete the rest.

Also... just to be prudent.... I clip a lanyard on mine so if for some reason the suction cup fails the lanyard will keep it attached to the boat...

SD cards do not last very long so get a couple of spares.

Good luck... post some videos.

Greg

porthos33

Yeah I have placed a couple of mounts around my windshield and the one I use most often now is the mount you can just clip anywhere. The more point of views you have, makes for way better videos. My problem is editing. I have over 200 clips to edit and most are just not great catches. My wife had my go pro for 2 months in the summer and I caught some huge fish when I didn't have it!

Seems I do a lot better when I don't take the camera. It's so weird! They are a lot of fun especially when you get your big catches on film. I am working on a video now, but I need a to get some more video to make it really good.

You will need a class 10 sd card for fast and slow mo. I use 32gb cards but 64gb might be the way to go. 32gb gets me 4 hours and 30 min per card. Batteries last about 2-2 and a half hours, depending on how many times i start and stop.

Ebay has those 32gb cards for around 5 bucks and free shipping. It is hit or miss with those cards though. If they don't work they will just give you your money back and you keep the card. Walmart has them for 18 bucks and they are faster cards which work better.

I just use the go pro editing software and it does a fine job and is free. You can go online and download it.

Can't wait to see some good smallie action!

Blue76

Also... I fish from my Kayak about as much as my boat... I have a telescopic pole I put behind me for a wide angle shot but it is never pointed in the direction of the fish... So I decided to try one of those deals where it goes on your head... I figured it would suck but it actually did very good. It was always looking the right direction.. :)

It wasn't as shaky as I thought it would be and kind of made the video more fun to watch.... kind of like you were there...

Greg

higdon21xrd

spend the $5 on the floaty door for it from amazon too. that way if it does come off the boat, it's not going to sink to the bottom.

VolsFan24

I use a suction cup to mount it to the top of my cowling and a sticky click mount on my windshield. I have paracord tied to my camera mount so when it falls (it always falls, lost my first one that way haha) i dont lose it. Im still figuring out which i like beat. The motor shot shows more water and fish fighting, but its so far from the action that the splash shots arent very good IMO. When i clip ot to my windshield when you get a splash shot its pretty good and the footage is more personal. But i LOVE the picture angle from the windshield. Like after catching a nice one ill hold it up in a couple angles for a few seconds and then ill take a screen shot of it when im going through the video. The way ive been editing them lately is using the GoPro app on my phone. I also stop video after catches so i know where to look. I scroll through the useless backlashes and stump catching and go straight to the end and then trim it in either 5 , 15, or 30 second clips. If i want more from the catch then ill use my computer but by the time it gets to the computer most of my video has been trimmed so its quick and easy. I bought mine from BBC and it came with 4 batteries. Ive never used 3 full batteries. I did some research and shooting in 720p and 60fps will give you good video quality and wont kill your battery nor take up all your space on your sd card. If i could post videos on here i would post a couple. Wish i had my GoPro during frog season!

porthos33

VolsFan24 - 1/12/2016 6:04 PM I use a suction cup to mount it to the top of my cowling and a sticky click mount on my windshield. I have paracord tied to my camera mount so when it falls (it always falls, lost my first one that way haha) i dont lose it. Im still figuring out which i like beat. The motor shot shows more water and fish fighting, but its so far from the action that the splash shots arent very good IMO. When i clip ot to my windshield when you get a splash shot its pretty good and the footage is more personal. But i LOVE the picture angle from the windshield. Like after catching a nice one ill hold it up in a couple angles for a few seconds and then ill take a screen shot of it when im going through the video. The way ive been editing them lately is using the GoPro app on my phone. I also stop video after catches so i know where to look. I scroll through the useless backlashes and stump catching and go straight to the end and then trim it in either 5 , 15, or 30 second clips. If i want more from the catch then ill use my computer but by the time it gets to the computer most of my video has been trimmed so its quick and easy. I bought mine from BBC and it came with 4 batteries. Ive never used 3 full batteries. I did some research and shooting in 720p and 60fps will give you good video quality and wont kill your battery nor take up all your space on your sd card. If i could post videos on here i would post a couple. Wish i had my GoPro during frog season!
</p>

You should post them on youtube then link to the forum</p>

VolsFan24

I didnt think about that. Ill post a couple. My videos are literally clips of the fish i catch. I havent made a compilation, not enough good fish. Haha. And once i post them everyone will know where im fishing

VolsFan24

After going through my first batch of videos i realized that netting the fish blows for video purposes. Haha. But here are some of them. In one of them i had a little 2lb+/- hit the A Rig right at the boat and bout ripped the rod out of my hand. And another one is of me riding down the lake, sun is straight in front but its the only one i have. I know 6lb10oz might not be too big for some of you but thats my second biggest (7lb7oz is my PB) and i was kinda pumped to say the least. Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/PPyprtEbssY
https://youtu.be/jI7KxAoQkfQ
https://youtu.be/2J6VyN-pz9w
https://youtu.be/aIeMtP2LSjc
https://youtu.be/MpN7gjo-l98
https://youtu.be/oQd84BPp7F0
https://youtu.be/Rm5GP-jaZwo
https://youtu.be/x_RyKYD-abw

richg99

Blue76.....Great suggestion! Sure beats watching hours of boring casting with no action. thanks richg99

"I found the best way for me to get through all that dead time is to stop the recording after I catch a fish and restart it. That way I know the action is always at the end of the video. I can skip right to it and delete the rest."

Solo

I prefer the chest mount, just because I can stay focused on the fish from cast to catch. I would only run one on the windshield for another angle, not for the primary viewing.

BustinBass197

+1 on the suction cup mounts they are very strong. I even use mine on the windshield of my 4x4 buggy and it never falls off unless moisture gets underneath it or dust is not cleaned before suction cup is placed. Ram has cameout with a pretty cool cuction cup mount too for these things.