Chickamauga Creek

Tight_Lines

Heading to Chickamauga Creek tomorrow afternoon with my Kayak and will be putting in at Greenway Farms. The Area looks incredible!! (If were a small mouth or other type fish, this is where i would be with all the bugs, food and all!) hopefully the fishing is good! though if not still a beautiful area!! I will keep everyone posted!!

Tight_Lines

word on the Greenway...
I got literally within 50 yrds of the water.. found out that the trolly system i have for my 12 Yak did not not work for it... make matters worse its not a car ramp, it is off a pedestrian trail and to get down to the water you have a series of 4 or 5 walls that are 2.5 feet tall each made of concrete! absolutely everything went wrong yesterday!!! I will be contacting either Greenway farms or North Chickamauga creek conservancy about easier access to the water. with the current access, for one person, there is no good way to get your boat to the water without chewing the bottomof your boat all to pieces! it is one of those places where you want a fishing buddy to get in and out of the water because of the design entrance!! I got super frustrated and pulled the plug and went to below the dam to fish from shore. sorry i could give any fishing advice from this location because the river itself looks fantastic!

Randy H

Thanks for the report. That stinks that it's that hard to launch...I've read that it's a cool place to boat nut have never been there to check it out. If I find anything about a better place to put in I'll get back to you.

G

I'm actually there right now. If you go all the way to th back there's a little better spot. Were you near the bathrooms and walking bridge? I did see the walls you mentioned. In the back it's going to be a haul to get down there but definitely doable to launch...just a hike to get there. Not sure if they'll let you drive closer or not.

Tight_Lines

I just got off the phone with a person who works in connection with the Greenway farms. this person said with high water there is a little bit better launch back by the gardens. though parking you have to park way away from your boat after dropping it off. which stinks mostly for gear and theft reasons. also they apparently just dumped thousands of $$$ into fixing the first access up and did a horrible job at least for individuals who would like to access that river. the only options she gave were to call the mayors office directly or to do a fund raiser to create a better ramp. both hard to do! i mean yes it might be doable on that access with the walls if you don't mind creating large abrasions on the bottom of your boat that will weaken the Hull. i just think it was a sort of a waist of money for the design the came up with if they were trying to create boat access. a beautiful little river with a a waste of access. just my two cents. sorry if i am stepping on toes.

richg99

Next time you are looking for a place to launch, check out an app called Launch Sites. I have no idea where Greenway and Chick Creek are ( I'm near Crossville) ...but the app might help you find an alternative drop-in spot.

richg99

G

Rich99, I've got a kayak...only app I found with name is for space shuttles. Lol!!

lafae7

There are 2 kayak launches for the chickamauga creek in fort Oglethorpe. They are pretty nice. Not a lot of people use them. I'm by myself a lot

Tight_Lines

I did drive back out to the greenway to check the other ramp. it is definitely very accessible if you are by yourself. looks to be an easy put in. though at the top of the ramp there is a sign that says 'NO MOTOR VEHICLES BEYOND THIS POINT". from that sign down to the water i would say it is a little better than a 100 yards. and up top i think one would have to park another 100 yrds or so away or more so as not to get towed. i will call again today and ask where one can park after accessing that ramp.

Tight_Lines

Just got got off the phone with a person who fillled me in regarding the back ramp. the "no vehicles" sign is for the main trail. they permit you to drive down to within feet of the water to drop your boat and gear. but you will have to come back up and park up by the barn. it is a bit of a walk but i look forward to finally getting into this section of river. he said people catch pretty much all same lake fish. definitely excited about getting back!! finally some good info for all!!! keep you posted or if you go keep ME posted!!

G

Talked to a gentleman today that chickamauga creek is great for smalleys, cats, bluegill, and a few others. Though when the water is more clear. He said give it a month and spinners are great!