You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | Register Now! )

Chickamauga Creek
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1
Reply New post    Fishing Kayak Fishing

Posted by Tight_Lines
5/2/2017 9:50 AM
Heading to Chickamauga Creek tomorrow afternoon with my Kayak and will be putting in at Greenway Farms. The Area looks incredible!! (If were a small mouth or other type fish, this is where i would be with all the bugs, food and all!) hopefully the fishing is good! though if not still a beautiful area!! I will keep everyone posted!!
Quote Reply
Posted by gman0804
5/2/2017 10:27 AM
Hope you wear them out.
Quote Reply
Posted by fish4fun24
5/2/2017 2:17 PM
Let us know how it goes. I would like to check it out sometime
Quote Reply
Posted by Randy H
5/3/2017 7:52 PM
What's the word on Greenway..inquiry minds want to know????
Quote Reply
Posted by Tight_Lines
5/4/2017 6:42 AM
word on the Greenway...
I got literally within 50 yrds of the water.. found out that the trolly system i have for my 12 Yak did not not work for it... make matters worse its not a car ramp, it is off a pedestrian trail and to get down to the water you have a series of 4 or 5 walls that are 2.5 feet tall each made of concrete! absolutely everything went wrong yesterday!!! I will be contacting either Greenway farms or North Chickamauga creek conservancy about easier access to the water. with the current access, for one person, there is no good way to get your boat to the water without chewing the bottomof your boat all to pieces! it is one of those places where you want a fishing buddy to get in and out of the water because of the design entrance!! I got super frustrated and pulled the plug and went to below the dam to fish from shore. sorry i could give any fishing advice from this location because the river itself looks fantastic!
Quote Reply
Posted by Randy H
5/4/2017 7:34 AM
Thanks for the report. That stinks that it's that hard to launch...I've read that it's a cool place to boat nut have never been there to check it out. If I find anything about a better place to put in I'll get back to you.
Quote Reply
Posted by Tight_Lines
5/4/2017 9:30 AM
great! keep me posted if you find other "better" launches near that location
Quote Reply
Posted by Guest
5/4/2017 9:37 AM
I'm actually there right now. If you go all the way to th back there's a little better spot. Were you near the bathrooms and walking bridge? I did see the walls you mentioned. In the back it's going to be a haul to get down there but definitely doable to launch...just a hike to get there. Not sure if they'll let you drive closer or not.
Quote Reply
Posted by Tight_Lines
5/4/2017 12:02 PM
I just got off the phone with a person who works in connection with the Greenway farms. this person said with high water there is a little bit better launch back by the gardens. though parking you have to park way away from your boat after dropping it off. which stinks mostly for gear and theft reasons. also they apparently just dumped thousands of $$$ into fixing the first access up and did a horrible job at least for individuals who would like to access that river. the only options she gave were to call the mayors office directly or to do a fund raiser to create a better ramp. both hard to do! i mean yes it might be doable on that access with the walls if you don't mind creating large abrasions on the bottom of your boat that will weaken the Hull. i just think it was a sort of a waist of money for the design the came up with if they were trying to create boat access. a beautiful little river with a a waste of access. just my two cents. sorry if i am stepping on toes.
Quote Reply
Posted by richg99
5/4/2017 12:14 PM
Next time you are looking for a place to launch, check out an app called Launch Sites. I have no idea where Greenway and Chick Creek are ( I'm near Crossville) ...but the app might help you find an alternative drop-in spot.

richg99
Quote Reply
Posted by Guest
5/4/2017 12:33 PM
Rich99, I've got a kayak...only app I found with name is for space shuttles. Lol!!
Quote Reply
Posted by richg99
5/4/2017 12:58 PM
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.milabs.paddling.Ma...
Quote Reply
Posted by Guest
5/4/2017 1:07 PM
Google app...Apple doesn't have that one. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Posted by richg99
5/4/2017 2:24 PM
This video says it is available for IOS. It is sponsored by Paddling.Net (formerly Paddling.com) I think. I am pretty sure that they wouldn't have it on "Droid" without having it on Apple. Give it another try. richg99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik0O08nrdME
Quote Reply
Posted by Randy H
5/4/2017 3:22 PM
Thanks Rich I'll check it again. I'm sure you're right I'm a little technically challenged.
Quote Reply
Posted by MooreEagle
5/4/2017 6:53 PM
So can you drive to the ramp in the back???
Quote Reply
Posted by lafae7
5/4/2017 9:01 PM
There are 2 kayak launches for the chickamauga creek in fort Oglethorpe. They are pretty nice. Not a lot of people use them. I'm by myself a lot
Quote Reply
Posted by Tight_Lines
5/5/2017 6:24 AM
I did drive back out to the greenway to check the other ramp. it is definitely very accessible if you are by yourself. looks to be an easy put in. though at the top of the ramp there is a sign that says 'NO MOTOR VEHICLES BEYOND THIS POINT". from that sign down to the water i would say it is a little better than a 100 yards. and up top i think one would have to park another 100 yrds or so away or more so as not to get towed. i will call again today and ask where one can park after accessing that ramp.
Quote Reply
Posted by Tight_Lines
5/5/2017 12:53 PM
Just got got off the phone with a person who fillled me in regarding the back ramp. the "no vehicles" sign is for the main trail. they permit you to drive down to within feet of the water to drop your boat and gear. but you will have to come back up and park up by the barn. it is a bit of a walk but i look forward to finally getting into this section of river. he said people catch pretty much all same lake fish. definitely excited about getting back!! finally some good info for all!!! keep you posted or if you go keep ME posted!!
Quote Reply
Posted by Update on C. Creek
5/9/2017 8:38 PM
Talked to a gentleman today that chickamauga creek is great for smalleys, cats, bluegill, and a few others. Though when the water is more clear. He said give it a month and spinners are great!
Quote Reply
Posted by cptenn94
5/25/2017 9:19 PM
I live on the N Chickamauga creek further upstream of the greenway so i have a little idea of how it is.

I am not a very great fisherman, so i cannot really give good fishing tips, but so far species i personally have found in the creek are bluegill, sunfish, warmouth, plenty of spotted bass, gar(long nose i believe, but definately not aligator), carp, drum, sculpins, log perch, black crappie, channel catfish.

Apparently my neighbor whom is much better at fishing has even caught some trout(leftovers from the stocking upstream) before.

I have also found that near the end of summer/ early fall we get MASSIVE striped bass running up the creek doing false spawning runs. I have found a large striped bass carcass at least as far upstream as the golf course on hixson pike near the publix. Also i have witnessed large bass (largemouth or smallmouth or both) also school and suspend themselves as well. All the bass I have mentioned have been bass that I have seen outside in my backyard, but so far nothing i have thrown at them drew any kind of interest.

The one fish I can say that certainly is readily available are channel cats, and panfish. The channel cats are usually decent sized, but i have seen a few giants while kayaking.

Finally behind the apartments on hixson pike on the creek i have witnessed large schools of very large carp. I am talking schools of 10-20 with most of the fish being close to an arms length.

One thing to consider when fishing the creek, is that it is very easy to lose lures due to the many sunken logs and branches. It can make for difficult fishing sometimes depending on where you are at.

Also as others have mentioned there are two places you can put a kayak in at the Greenway. The first is near the main building and is basically a series of ledges going down to the creek. The second is closer to the farms and is near where you would begin the walk up into the quarry. This second put it is an actual ramp that goes until it reaches the water. Depending on the water level, there may be a small ledge to put in, but it is much easier to put in than the first creek access. The downside of the second, is that it is a further walk.

Message me if you have any questions.
Quote Reply
Posted by cbastnagel
12/21/2017 11:06 PM
There is now a put in behind the earth fare in Hixson. However it is a bit of a walk.
Quote Reply
Posted by heath423
12/21/2017 11:35 PM
Thanks for the information.
Quote Reply
Posted by reel_world_fishing
12/22/2017 9:57 PM
I have fished Chickamauga creek several times in different spots with no luck and I don't go fishing often only to get skunked. It's a lot easier to get in during the spring and summer there.
Quote Reply
Posted by Liveliner
5/10/2018 8:48 PM
When the Water in the North Chick is Normal level, Put in "Under" the Thrasher Pike Bridge. There is a Slight bank to cross over and then it is all smooth Sand to the creek. There will be Trees as Obstacles down stream but overall I feel that area will give you much more adventure. About a Mile downstream there is a great Trout Hole difficult to get to from any other method of travel.
Quote Reply
Spread the word

del.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit BB Google Ma.gnolia Netscape Simpy StumbleUpon Technorati Live Yahoo!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Advertiser

Advertiser

CFF Calendar
October 2019
SMTWTFS
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19»
20» 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31    

Upcoming events (next 2 weeks)
Nov 3 Chatt Crappie Club TX #6

Advertiser

Random Photo
Crappie below the chick dam

"Crappie below the chick dam"
Album: Bank fishing in Chattanooga

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Copyright © 1996-2019 All rights reserved.
Duplication in whole or in part of this Web site without express written consent is prohibited.
CFF Privacy Policy

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2019 PD9 Software