Rub rail lights

Mudman

I have the 1/4 inch plugs in my boat for drop in's. Just wondering if the rub rail lights are better or if I should just get more moonlight drop in''s and be done with it. I like the look of the nightvishion run rail light but don't want to spend 1600$ for them. Do the blue water led's hold up? Any suggestions?

lafae7

The convience factor sold me on the blue water black light rub rails. My buddy has them on his new bass tracker and it's just too easy to go from spot to spot. They are also always there when you need them, as you don't have to worry if you brought them with you. I also believe that they are brighter and will last longer.

BulletTJ

The only problem with the rub rails lights is if you bump them on a dock or if anything hits them, they will break. The lights behind the break will no longer work. I do think they look cool but in the long run I don't think they are for me. They only look cool if ALL of them work and I am not careful enough to keep something from hitting them. One of my friends had them and he took them out and went back to his drop ins. He had them fixed 3 times. After the last time they got broke at home before he ever got them to the lake. He knocked a shovel over in the basement, the handle hit his boat and you guessed it. The rest of the lights didn't work. Just something to think about.

gwofford

I have had the blue water Lights for 2 years
I love them and knock on wood I have had no issues
would recommend them every time!!!

Aries 181

BulletTJ - 6/25/2017 4:04 PM

The only problem with the rub rails lights is if you bump them on a dock or if anything hits them, they will break. The lights behind the break will no longer work. I do think they look cool but in the long run I don't think they are for me. They only look cool if ALL of them work and I am not careful enough to keep something from hitting them. One of my friends had them and he took them out and went back to his drop ins. He had them fixed 3 times. After the last time they got broke at home before he ever got them to the lake. He knocked a shovel over in the basement, the handle hit his boat and you guessed it. The rest of the lights didn't work. Just something to think about.
Yes, they will stop working if they're hit hard enough. If someone does decide to use them, mount them on the hull below the rub rail. Above the rub rail will be too bright and would be annoying to the user. I like the Moonlites better as they have the extra green light to light up the bank. The green light has a high/low/off switch.

Bill

Hook1

I debated this for a while and finally rested on the drop in style. I like not having the lights in harms way all the time and like Aries 181 said the green light is wonderful for not only seeing the banks but it makes netting fish a breeze. I've had the Punisher lights but they got stolen in my last truck so now I have Stan Sloan Lightin' Bugs. Maybe they're Zoro I don't know I guess it's all the same. I got both kinds from Djsmarinelecteonics when I bought.

Mudman

I think I will stick with the drop in full moons.I have a full moon but the angle on it isn't right for my triton boat. Anyone happen to have any for sale or interested in trading 0% for a 15%?

Aries 181

Mudman - 6/26/2017 10:55 PM

I think I will stick with the drop in full moons.I have a full moon but the angle on it isn't right for my triton boat. Anyone happen to have any for sale or interested in trading 0% for a 15%?
Two reasons why I chose the cig lighter plug model. One, I wasn't about to drill holes in my top cap and two, this model has the 0 and 15 degree slots for the suction cups. Another thing, on my 18' boat, one light in the middle on both sides works for front and back users.

Bill

Aries 181

Hooker - 6/27/2017 8:53 PM

And if put rubrails in whatcha gonna do with the holes in the cap?
Most people that have the 1/4" female plug in their top cap insert a small rubber plug into the hole when not in use. According to MoonLite,
they recommend you leave the hole un-plugged as the rubber plug will leak and it leads to corrosion.

I just ordered a 12 pack of larger diameter suction cups for my two Full moons. Replacing the 1 3/8" cups for 1 1/2" cups gives me greater piece of mind that they won't pop loose and end up in the river

Bill

Hooker

Yea Bill I have the plugs,,,larger suction cups is a good thought,,,,but I meant if he put rubrails in he still gonna have the females in his cap

Aries 181

Hooker - 6/28/2017 7:39 PM

Yea Bill I have the plugs,,,larger suction cups is a good thought,,,,but I meant if he put rubrails in he still gonna have the females in his cap
Not a whole lot you can do except remove the female jacks and have the holes repaired. I ordered the cups from the company that MoonLite uses. They are 1/8" taller than the 1 3/8" model so they may not work right on the drop-ins.

If someone wants to try the larger cups, just LMK.

Bill

Aries 181

Aries 181 - 6/29/2017 2:13 AM

Hooker - 6/28/2017 7:39 PM

Not a whole lot you can do except remove the female jacks and have the holes repaired. I ordered the cups from the company that MoonLite uses. They are 1/8" taller than the 1 3/8" model so they may not work right on the drop-ins.

If someone wants to try the larger cups, just LMK.

Bill
Well the larger cups are the same height as the originals so they will work on the drop in units. There is a noticeable difference in the suction over the original cups. I'm keeping 4 extra as spares and will let 4 go @ $4.00 a pair or all four of the original cups for $4.00

Bill

kornbread

I have the Punisher LED black lights along with Hoppy's backlights. They do just fine for me. If i were to get the blue water LED i would definitely put them under the rub rail.