Pickling Hot Peppers / Hot Okra

Mr. S

I have a question, I pickled some peppers about a year ago and they turned out mushy after only a couple weeks, TRASHED! I used the usual methods heated my vinegar water mixture with spices of choice and poured it over the peppers in the jar and put them in a water bath for 5 mins. My Mom said this is where I went wrong. I cooked them too long. Every recipe I have read said water bath for 5-10 mins. And many people complain of the peppers being mushy after this method. I'm thinking of trying another method I read about that said sterilize jars and lids, rings, pack peppers and spices add water vinegar mixture in jar, cold now I might add and then place lid and ring on then... hot water bath for 15 mins. I just want crisp pickled peppers I know it can be done. Please tell me where i'm going wrong....

river rat

My wife used the pack then water bath just like you mentioned She said buy the Ball canning and pickling book They have the best recipe's Good Luck lets go fishing

Mr. S

river rat - 7/5/2017 6:21 AM

My wife used the pack then water bath just like you mentioned She said buy the Ball canning and pickling book They have the best recipe's Good Luck lets go fishing

Mr. Rat I'm READY! and off next couple days!

dlmille

I pickle okra and I sterilize jars and lids, rings, pack okra and spices. Then I pour apple cider vinegar into the jars and seal them tight. This is the way a old gentleman on the coast of sc told me to do it. I asked the same question about the hot water batch and he told me it will cook the okra. He said the vinegar kills any bacteria. I use his method and the okra come out crunchy all them time. I place the jars upside down in the box and then after a week I flip them over and let sit another week or two then eat.

Mr. S

dlmille - 7/5/2017 1:50 PM

I pickle okra and I sterilize jars and lids, rings, pack okra and spices. Then I pour apple cider vinegar into the jars and seal them tight. This is the way a old gentleman on the coast of sc told me to do it. I asked the same question about the hot water batch and he told me it will cook the okra. He said the vinegar kills any bacteria. I use his method and the okra come out crunchy all them time. I place the jars upside down in the box and then after a week I flip them over and let sit another week or two then eat.

I will give it a shot!

lmk25

The water bath is where you are going wrong.
I simply wash the peppers before slicing, Pack the jars add pickling spice. I bring my brine to a rolling boil. Pour the brine over the peppers as quickly and safely as possible. drop lids on and barely tighten ring. Put in dark room upside down with no air movement (no fans) Next day give them a shake and good to go. All lids seal and never have mushy peppers, even up to 18 months. I know water bath is another way of sterilization but if your jars and fruit are clean and sterile, you should be fine. Good Luck!

churly

Ball makes an additive that retains crispness, I found it at walmart in the housewares with all the pickling gear. I did a bunch of peppers, pickles, and okra this year and they were all crisp as could be with no bath.

Mr. S

Thanks guys for all the good info, I didn't put out as many peppers this year to have any to pickle and I didn't plant any okra. But there is always Linda's produce! emoSmile