Battery question

ditchdoc666

Hey gang,needing to get a new cranking battery for the Ranger and am looking at the Walmart Everstart maxx in the 27 series with 140 rm and the 29 series but it only has104 rm,also we have a deep cycle exude that has 205 rm deep cycle series 31 at Academy of the three which would be better for cranking and running 3 d/f with side scan and pumps and black lights for long periods I fish more than running around so not a lot of engine runs to recharge,have a new crank battery but with all other running equipment it drains down to 11.7 after awhile

silvertalon

Lowrance units can pull up to 7 amps ea. the 1st thing they will tell you is you must run a 31 series battery with multiple units. Factor in running 2-4 livewell pumps... Trust me- I've missed a weigh in or 2 from poor battery selection. Folks who can afford a $400 blue top never have a problem. Wish I had one. I run a cheaper 31 series and still have a good battery jumper on board- had to use it a time or 3. Looks like your motor is an EFI- takes a lot less amps to start than an Opti. You'll probably be ok with a $200 battery. Be sure its a 31. IMO

bronzeback45

Exide Batteries SUCK!!! I bought 2 31 series and they lasted 14 months. Get the maxx 29 trolling for , its a deep cycle and will take more charges and discharges. Ive fished a trolling motor only lake for 9 hours and still yellow to very slight green on volt meter by end of the day. As far as cranking look at my signature below and what all I run with a 3 liter Opti. The Duracell AGM are the best and swear my engine runs better as well. This includes night tourneys with livewell, blacklights, and 3 GEN 3 Lowrances. I think they are about 170 or so at Sam's.

Carl

Another vote for the Duracell AGM. I went through 3 sears pm-1 before getting this one.

ditchdoc666

I have a older dual pro charger and don't think it is for AGM batteries or that's the way I would go think I'll try the 27maxx since it has more rm than the 29 series thanks all

elwestb

Steve, for a cranking battery the Optima Red Top 34 has 1000 cold cranking amps. I have had several guys specifically with Mercury engines tell me that they went with that battery just because of that extra cranking power. I believe that battery is in the $200 / $230 range. I had Optima batteries in my old boat. Two Blues on the trolling motor and a Red on the engine. I had them for just over 6 years and then replaced them. I am running three larger #31 Blues now on my new 36 volt trolling motor and the #34 Red Top on my engine and with all electronics and live well pumps. I have not had a problem. Even at night with Nav Lights and the pumps running I have not had a problem. If you go look at the Optima batteries take notice that the numbers are sort of miss leading. The #34 Red Top is a smaller battery than the Blue #31!? Most of the auto parts stores have the #27 or #29 Blue Tops and the #34 Red Top. But I think you have to order the #31 Blue Tops.

porthos33

Ditchdoc I tried to find the actual specs on these batteries even though the specs are sometimes crazy on walmarts website. I don't think you can get the 27 in a MAXX. (Looked everywhere) MAXX just means one more year of warranty. The 27DC ($81.67) is 1 year warranty, the 29DC ($86.83) is 1 year warranty, and the 29DC MAXX ($99.95) is 2 year warranty. I think the only true difference between the 29DC and the 29DC MAXX is the extra year warranty. I had the 27dc and am happier with the 29dc and the 29dc maxx. For 5 extra bucks the 29dc is a better buy than the 27dc imo.

Everstart 27DC Marine
109 AMP hours
180 Reserve capacity (RC)

Everstart Maxx 29DC Marine
114 (29dcmaxx)/122 AMP hours(29dc)
210 Reserve Capacity (RC)