DJ's Marine and Electronics

SlabDog

I just finished up installing a Garmin unit on my boat. I'd like to give Johnny a Big 'ol thumbs up. If you're looking at price, like I was, don't waste your time because I looked a lot and Johnny got my business. If you're wanting to help out a local business that you can call up and talk to about setup, install, or whatever, then DJ's is the place. I went and looked at units at Cabellas, and Bass Pro. I asked questions, but got blank stares instead of answers, or was told "the man that knows about these ain't here today". Johnny had answers. When it comes to big box or a small family owned business like this, I'll go with small family owned every time.

Rob Lee

I too had a great experience with Johnny. Without a doubt, I know who I will call in the future. Highly recommended.

Mikie9

Curious what you got? I bought a Garmin 73sv for $250 off when I got my boat, but I am thinking about moving it to the front and getting a Lowrance and Navionics chip for the console. Have you had any problems with the maps in certain areas? Seems the Navionics has more detail in the sloughs etc. the side scan and down scan seem fine, just curious your thoughts on the maps.

SlabDog

The 93sv. I had it out this morning for a few hours and actually didn't fish. I just drove around and played with the unit. I had no issues with the lakevu hd map at all and it has 1ft increments out of the box and seemed quite accurate to me, but I was only looking at a few places from the nuke plant to Wolftever. That's not much of a test for what you're wanting I guess. I was very happy with the map and the unit. I do have the Lakevu hd ultra map coming this week I hope. I got this from Johnny also. I just completed doing the software update not 30 minutes ago. I marked some really nice schools of fish today following drop offs and ledges. The maps seemed to be spot on. I'm heading back out to see if I can catch some in the morning. People do like different things, so I'd be reluctant to recommend any unit. This one is perfect for me, but some people are HB or Lowrance fans and may not like it. Maps seemed fine though.

Mikie9

Thanks for the info. The Garmin seems ok to me too, just in most sloughs it stops showing the 1 ft marks and just goes to light shade changes. Might be I need the ultra map chip you have coming. Other than that I have had mine for a few months and it is very good for scanning, no complaints. I will check into the ultra chip and see if that may solve my minor issue. Thanks again.

SlabDog

Mikie9 - 7/10/2017 9:56 PM Thanks for the info. The Garmin seems ok to me too, just in most sloughs it stops showing the 1 ft marks and just goes to light shade changes. Might be I need the ultra map chip you have coming. Other than that I have had mine for a few months and it is very good for scanning, no complaints. I will check into the ultra chip and see if that may solve my minor issue. Thanks again.
</p>

I haven't been in any sloughs yet since yesterday was the first day on the water with my Garmin. I'll check around some of the sloughs and see if mine does the same. It probably will, but I'll have a comparison for when my ultra map comes in and I'll check the same sloughs again to see if it improves. I don't know a lot about Navionics other than their online map site. It' good, but I know of a couple of really deep holes it misses completely. It seems they all have something they miss. My old HB did a good job with the Lakemaster chip. I still use it at night to stay on edges and and creek channel points. I'll let you know if the ultra map is better contour wise, or just has added features.</p>