Kayak deep cranking/ ledge fishing

Hwoody9

Anyone ever tried deep cranking from a kayak? If so what is your rod a reel setups line preferences and such. Also I know you guys don't want to give up your spots but you always hear of these"community holes" that guys ledge fish and like Michael Neal was saying in a video there's a reason they always produce and they are a great place to learn how to ledge fish. My question is- where are some of these so called community holes located. Thanks!

Blue76

You would need a good anchor for sure. A swimbaits might be a better choice from a kayak but I am no expert. As for community holes. The only ones I know of are right out in front of Chester frost entrance, johnsons point in Harrison bay, the river ledge in front of the nuke plant. I am sure there are many more but I don't have much luck ledge fishing. I can find fish on my electronics but can't get bit with anything but a dropshot. Then I usually catch the smallest fish in the lake it seems.. ??

Greg

porthos33

Greg Jig Jig Jig=Giants! Community hole is anything that is just plum obvious on a map. Don't overthink it. There are SO many great spots. Some of my biggest bass have come off ledges with 1-3ft drops that aren't So obvious.

JEEPnFISH

Its oversized but I have a mushroom anchor on my kayak. It held very well this weekend at Chester Frost. Boat swells and all.

just be careful anchoring up in your yacks. My buddy got flipped earlier this year cause he was anchored and got slammed by a yacht wake before he could get untied and turned into it. Make sure to tie off with a quick release knot and have some sort of float on your anchor line

Blue76

porthos33 - 8/6/2017 5:14 PM

Greg Jig Jig Jig=Giants! Community hole is anything that is just plum obvious on a map. Don't overthink it. There are SO many great spots. Some of my biggest bass have come off ledges with 1-3ft drops that aren't So obvious.

So when we going to partner up? I like throwing a jig but for some reason I have drifted away from it this year. I can seem to get bit on anything but finesse techniques...

You help me remember how to catch a fish on a jig and I will take you to my private hawg pond in a kayak... should be some good frog action there by now.

Greg