Help

jasonward1978

I have a 89 stratos with a Johnson 225 on it and the tilt motor won't work... when I hit the switch u can feel the relays clicking but no power going to the motor it seems like... is there a fuse somewhere or something easy I can check... other than that I'm hoping that the tilt motor it self didn't go bad... any help would be nice

DCraft

It has been a while but I believe there are two relays on the top of the motor. Can't remember which side but the relays are side by side. If one of them is bad you can swap them and it will trim in one direction but not the other. If you swap them back it will trim the opposite direction. If this is not it you may want to contact Travis Talley for more technical assistance

porthos33

Sounds like your trim motor is going out brother if both relays are just clicking..... If what Dcraft said to do doesn't work The first thing to try is to put 12V directly to the trim motor. My guess is that it won't do anything and you will need to replace the trim motor. If the trim motor DOES work with voltage applied directly, then you know you have an electrical problem before the motor. It's a very simple circuit. Wires, relays, and possibly a fuse.
I found mine cheapest on ebay and it has lasted with no problems for 2 years.

Mr. S

The relays are adjacent to the VRO pump or where it should be located if it has been removed. Facing the carbs lower right side just above the cowling.

silvertalon

Find the blue and green wires where they turn and go through the hole in the port clamp bracket. Use a test light or a meter. probe the blue (up), and when you hit the switch, see if the light or meter comes on. Then try the green (down). If you are getting power down there, the trim motor is bad. They either get water in them or the brushes go bad. If you don't want to mess with it, PM me and I'll get you in the shop to test it.