Hook Sharpening

JohnnyG

I’m thinking of getting a small battery operated Dremel for sharpening dulled hooks on the go. Sometimes I have trebles that have a point or two that dull while bringing my cranks across rocks. I’d rather just pull out a quick automated sharpening tool and get back to fishing instead of digging out new trebles, fighting with split rings, etc. My question is does anyone on this sight have experience with any battery powered sharpening tools that you keep on your boats and what are your thoughts about it?

porthos33

I would just use the rapala or BERKLEY POCKET HOOK SHARPENER. I think they used to have them at walmart. They rapala is probably better

JEEPnFISH

The dremels aren't that good for anything. The battery takes hours to charge. I've had two and they didn't last .

Smalliefan2

Get a small hook file, about $ 5. Takes no time to sharpen hooks, treble or single. Doesn't take up much room either.

mocs-tr20

We sell the Diamond Sharpening rods that has a groove for hooks at frost cutlery about 4'' long and works awesome.

FishingwithRusty

ive used the battery operated sharpener in the past(it was ok) and the dremel when at the house but the stone is what i use in the boat now. if the stone cant get a good point back on the hook in just a few strokes then i replace the hook. living in the land of giants it would suck to loose a fish of a lifetime because i didnt swap out a bad hook

Reel2Reel

I habe a berkley line stripper with a rotary stone on the top that works pretty well. You can pick them up at most sporting good stores.

bassinbrian

Just bought one at bass pro. File type sharpener. Played with it a while today, seems to work well and has a grove as well. Sharpened 3 hooks on an A rig in about 5 min. Which is pretty good since I'm just learning how to do it. Is say once your practiced up it should only Take a min. Or 2 to hone one up. Good hooks are to expensive to throw away!

still carry an old "points" file. small compact.

jsb

I use a hook file. I wouldn't recommend a dremel. To easy to mess the hooks up. I don't know what brand mine is. It's about the size of a pen around and when stored about 3 inches long. The file part is partly rounded with a groove in it and flat on the other side. It doesn't take any time to sharpen a hook. You can clip this one in your pocket like a pen.