Minn Kota iPilot

JohnnyG

I’m looking into getting a trolling motor with iPilot and I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them and would share their thoughts and advice. Pros and cons, is it reliable and consistent, etc. Thanks.

Kickerfish

I am currently waiting on my Ulterra to get here. Everything I have read has been good. I cant wait to get it on the boat and try it out.

rsimms

I've been using a Minn Kota Terrova i-Pilot (24 volt, 72 lb. thrust) since 2013. It is FANTASTIC!

I often wonder how in the world I ever managed to fish without it. I tell everyone, "It doesn't matter what boat you buy, but if you don't put an i-Pilot Trolling Motor on it you're making a horrible mistake. You can scrimp on the boat, but don't scrimp on the trolling motor."

FYI, I did have to have the steering head replaced last year (by <a href=http://www.swaffordtrollingmotor.com/>Swafford Trolling Motor Repair</a>). HOWEVER, I am a fishing guide. I'm on the water 150 days a year, give or take. Therefore my equipment probably gets used four or five times as much as the average angler. In other words, my 3-year-old i-Pilot had the equivalent use of 10-15 years normal use by the average angler, maybe more. It cost $250 to have the steering head replaced.

The Spot Lock feature is awesome. I use it regularly. However I will tell you that it works best when there is either wind or current for it to work against. In dead calm conditions on the lake, mine sometimes gets flaky (won't hold position as well and sometimes has to correct and it will often over-correct). However, I am told that on the newer models they have enhanced the Spot Lock capabilities to make them more reliable.

The only other issue I have is that, when it is running, my trolling motor interferes with the side-imaging on my Humminbird. It pretty much negates the use my side-imaging when I'm moving with the TM. Works perfectly when moving with outboard. I suspect however that is more of an issue of installation than it is the trolling motor... but it is something you should be cognizant of.

I am lusting after a new Ulterra with the "Auto-Stow/Deploy" feature. I just can't bring myself to spend the bucks when the current TM is still working great!

Tn bullet

Have you checked out the motor guide xi5 it’s like the min Kota but without the auto deploy has a spot lock that’s is much better than minn Kota

tp44

JohnnyG, you will not be disappointed with either the Terrova or Ulterra. Yes, as Richard said, the new versions are much better at holding your spotlock without current or wind. I have had both and the Ulterra is great especially when age starts creeping in.
Oh, BTY check with Johnny at DJ's.He will treat you right.

rsimms

river rat - 11/2/2017 9:08 PM

Richard I believe they make a noise suppressor for that trolling motor to eveviate that problem check with Johnny he can probably help
https://www.humminbird.com/faqDetail.aspx?id=3660

Thanks for sharing. That page looks as if it's written by engineers, for engineers.

But I see a couple of options I can effort if I get motivated. Thanks.

djsmarinelectronics

I have an 80lb Ultrex IPilot, 24v 52" shaft coming in that has been on a customer boat and never put in the water. He decided he wanted the Ulterra, which I will be putting on this week. Since it has been installed I will give a good discount on this motor if you are interested.