Looking for input on the Garmin 840XS, radar

Capt Dan Medina

Hey guys, I run a Garmin 94 SV on my offshore boat and it serves me perfectly well for navigation purposes. However, with the cold weather weve had lately,
there has been a ton of Really thick Sea Fog. This becomes a real pain in the rear end as we are often making 30-50 mile runs in the dark. The current GPS is not Radar compatible.
Ive seen some great prices for the 840XS which is radar compatible and offers full chirp 1k output. I currently run a standalone furuno which has served me well, but with the recent hurricane irma, she suffered some water intrusion on the screen. It hasnt killed the unit, but I worry its on its last leg. With the transducer being fairly inexpensive to get 1k chirp output, I thought I could also use this as a secondary bottom machine if my main unit were to give out. So, My question is who out there is running the 840XS with radar? How do you like it? If offers HD and UHD capabilites, but is the added couple hundred dollar expense worth
it? I need it mainly for navigation purposes, and for during the summer months when we get pop up thunderstorms.

Thanks in advance!

Dan