Hook2 9 vs helix 9 vs????

Lx545

I am looking for a 9" plus unit that wont break the bank with side imaging. Prefer to stay under $900. I have been looking at the gen 1 helix 9 which can be had for about $750. Its my understanding that it uses a different transducer than the helix 10 which equals lower picture quality. I cannot find any of the gen 1 helix 10. I have a helix 5 now and I am considering going to another brand for my sonar needs to get the best unit for my budget. I can use my lakemaster on my helix 5 if necessary as I don't want to lose that capability. The hook 2 9 comes in at $800 but I havent read much feedback on that unit yet. Can any one recommend other units? Thanks.

Lx545

I called last week I think and he said he couldn't get anymore if I understood him right. I cant find any online either. I would love to have the 10 though. I just cant swing the gen 2 price.

Triton4Bass

I have a Hook 9 w/ Navionics and I would recommend the Bird. The Hook 9 seems to be a good unit, but I mostly fish in the tri-State area where most prefer the Birds due to mapping. I thought I found a good deal on the Hook 9 but I had to buy a card for it that cost nearly $200. I also run a Garmin that I prefer over the Lowrance unit. Garmin are nice units too, plus their warranty and repair prices through the factory are reasonably priced.

Aries 181

Lx545 - 2/9/2018 6:05 PM

I called last week I think and he said he couldn't get anymore if I understood him right. I cant find any online either. I would love to have the 10 though. I just cant swing the gen 2 price.
There are a few, 3-4 vendors on BBC that have/had ad's posted listing Helix 10 SI/GPS for under $900.00 You'll need to search the electronics sale forum to find them.

Bill

Hook1

Just go with the Helix 9 Gen 2. You won’t regret it when you see the Mega imaging at work. Plus the mapping with Lakemaster makes it a wonderful unit. I have two on my boat right now networked with one another

Lx545

I havent found the gen 2 mega under $1k. I really want to stay under that. I may wind up just buying a 9 for $679 and trading up to the he transducer. Would love to have mega but kinda blows my budget.

Aries 181

Lx545 - 2/10/2018 2:24 PM

I havent found the gen 2 mega under $1k. I really want to stay under that. I may wind up just buying a 9 for $679 and trading up to the he transducer. Would love to have mega but kinda blows my budget.
Are you talking about trading for a TM puck transducer?

Bill

Lx545

Apparently the 9 comes with a non hd transducer and the 10 comes with it. I've read it makes a large difference in picture quality because it's 2" longer than the one provided with the 9. The hd transducer is $227. I think you can trade in the non hd for the hd plus some $$.