Wiring for trolling motor

TightlineT

My son has a boat that was wired for 12v trolling motor. He is looking at a 24v motor now for the boat. I know the plug in would have to be changed, but will the 12v wiring work on 24v or would new wire need to be pulled? Thanks in advance and see ya on the water.......Jim

FishingwithRusty

wire should work, actually a pretty easy swap

silvertalon

You will need to wire the two batteries in parallel and run an extra red (positive), wire to the to motor and, install a new '3 wire' plug and receptical. Battery wiring as follows; run a jumper wire from one positive to the neg of the other battery. Run the open neg (black), and two pos (red), wires- total of 3, to the front. You can google "24v trolling motor motor wiring" on you tube. I'm sure you'll find it there.

djsmarinelectronics

OR, you can use the same plug, the same wires and just add another battery to the existing battery wired as described; trolling motor red wire to the positive of battery "A": trolling motor black wire to the negative of battery "B" and run a jumper between the negative of battery "A" to the positive of battery "B". Viola, 24V.....give me a call if you have questions Jim.

lafae7

basically there are 2 ways to do it. Both ways include a jumper. You can either jump at the battery. Or jump at the switch. I prefer to jump at the battery. You will also want to check to see if your gauge wires are optimal for 24volts. You don't want voltage loss through using skinny wires.

Dgreen

silvertalon - 2/26/2018 9:36 AM

You will need to wire the two batteries in parallel and run an extra red (positive), wire to the to motor and, install a new '3 wire' plug and receptical. Battery wiring as follows; run a jumper wire from one positive to the neg of the other battery. Run the open neg (black), and two pos (red), wires- total of 3, to the front. You can google "24v trolling motor motor wiring" on you tube. I'm sure you'll find it there.
This is the correct way for a 12/24 volt application. You don't need the third wire if it is straight 24 volts.