Anyone been swimming in the Chick this winter?

porthos33

Well I did last night! I put in on the main river where there is no dock. When I took out the sun had just gone down and I was the last one at the ramp. Once I got the trailer in the water I noticed my boat was slowly floating away. I stood there in all my clothes and couldn't move! Finally I went after it.........By the time I got to it I was chest deep. I tried to get in the boat and forgot I had my go pro on chest mount. Well that was totally kiilin me trying to get in the boat. So I swam to the back to get in and it just wasn't happening. So I submerged so I could touch bottom and pull the boat back to shore. It worked! I had so many layers on and my adrenaline was pumping so I wasn't even cold. Stripped down, dried off, and headed home. Of course I had just turned the go pro off when I got to the ramp. Glad this happened at the end of the day and not the beginning!</p>

There was someone that got to watch the whole thing on the other side of the river! Fun Times! Now my phone is shot!</p>

Lx545

Goodness! Glad you made back safe! Me and Larry saw a guy with two high school anglers Saturday run up on a shallow spot and had to get out and walk his boat about 50 yards in a ft of water.

Nauticman

Glad you survived this ordeal, Eric.

hoop235

I've had to do that in the summer but never in the winter. You don't have much time to think about it you just have to go for it!
Glad everything turned out ok.

VolsFan24

Glad nothing bad happened. First time i dropped my new to me boat in the water solo, i forgot my winch hook is broken and doesnt close. So it stays attached to the boat due to the force of being pulled tight. Well i loosened the winch and back boat down. When it comes off the trailer i see in my rear view that the boat looks pretty far from my window. I get out and its floating away! I jump right in and grabbed the bow eye before it got really away from me. Fun times.

FirstLight

Glad you retrieved her safely. I didn’t go swimming this winter, but my fishing buddy did one day when we were out. We were fishing a deep bank, midwinter, Christmas Eve to be exact, and he took a dip in 44 degree water. Air temperature was in the 40’s too and cloudy. Anyway, he hooks a drum on his favorite combo, fights the fish and gets it to the boat but drops his rod. The fish pulls the rod in the water! He lunges for it and goes in. He’s able to hold on to the side of the boat and stay mostly dry from the waist up. I jumped off the deck and grabbed him by the back of the shoulders and jerked him in the boat. He’s a big dude and was wearing full winter gear half waterlogged, but he felt lite as a feather - I guess adrenaline kicked in. 5 minutes later, the drum floats up, I troll to it and we net the fish and the lure is still in his mouth along with his rod and reel. Here’s a pic after the swim:

Attachments

• CalderAfterSwimming.jpg
    CalderAfterSwimming.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 232

FirstLight

FirstLight - 3/14/2018 9:39 PM

Glad you retrieved her safely. I didn’t go swimming this winter, but my fishing buddy did one day when we were out. We were fishing a deep bank, midwinter, Christmas Eve to be exact, and he took a dip in 44 degree water. Air temperature was in the 40’s too and cloudy. Anyway, he hooks a drum on his favorite combo, fights the fish and gets it to the boat but drops his rod. The fish pulls the rod in the water! He lunges for it and goes in. He’s able to hold on to the side of the boat and stay mostly dry from the waist up. I jumped off the deck and grabbed him by the back of the shoulders and jerked him in the boat. He’s a big dude and was wearing full winter gear half waterlogged, but he felt lite as a feather - I guess adrenaline kicked in. 5 minutes later, the drum floats up, I troll to it and we net the fish and the lure is still in his mouth along with his rod and reel. Here’s a pic after the swim:

And after, he said he wanted to keep fishing. I was like cool! I figured we would have to b-line it to the ramp but he was ok for a while longer. Glad we stayed because I ended up getting my PB meanmouth, just over 5 pounds.

Attachments

• imageedit_8_3698190532.jpg
    imageedit_8_3698190532.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 218

Strato-G

emoSorry emoPoke , guess you are now cleared for take out rest of year....glad most cleared out & is ok......... emoGeezer emoUSA

elwestb

Good looking fish!

JEEPnFISH

This happened a long time ago in the summer, but it's funny to me.
I had the trolling prop get choked with grass. I had to lean over the john boat and take the cotter pin out to clear the prop.
Over I went. A snake was on a lillypad 3 feet from my face, I didn't notice him previously.
In one smooth quick motion I was out of the boat, saw the snake, and back in the boat. I was back in before my brother knew what happened.
I still had the pliers with the cotter pin and prop in my hands. I never dropped them thankfully.

porthos33

JEEPnFISH - 3/15/2018 10:50 AM This happened a long time ago in the summer, but it's funny to me. I had the trolling prop get choked with grass. I had to lean over the john boat and take the cotter pin out to clear the prop. Over I went. A snake was on a lillypad 3 feet from my face, I didn't notice him previously. In one smooth quick motion I was out of the boat, saw the snake, and back in the boat. I was back in before my brother knew what happened. I still had the pliers with the cotter pin and prop in my hands. I never dropped them thankfully.
I've definitely lost some cotter pins overboard! I would always have to find a stout hook, cut it to fit and was good to go! Now I have about 10 of them pre made for this situation!

Jpull

....and that's the reason I always have a dry bag of spare clothes. In my boat, kayak, even my truck.

Blue76

I ran my boat up on a shallow area on my maiden voyage in February 2014. Water temps in the low 40s. Had to get out and wade and pull it. Still didn't work but boat US rescued me for a measly 160 bucks. Been a member ever since and had to call them last year when an injector died. Saved me about 3 years worth of dues.

fischnrod

Maybe those fancy trolling motors will come down so I can afford one and I'll just whistle for it to come to me after I put truck in park and secure it so I won't need to go swimming

TNTall

Saw a couple of guys rope swinging off of Denny bluff a few weeks ago when the water was 45 deg. I don't know how they didn't go into shock.

porthos33

<div>
BMANN - 3/25/2018 2:57 PM I did last winter and it didn’t work out so well for me. So I thought I would stay dry this year
</div>

haha You gotta tell us what happened!</p>

I think I must have cracked a rib or strained something during my ordeal b/c that thing has bothered me for two weeks now! I had to go work this last weekend and I haven't been on the water in 5 days. That is by far the longest I have been away from the lake this year so far and it's killing me!</p>