Aggravation’

Cp78

I know a lot of people on this site use baitcasters. I have always used them I was tought to use them by my dad. But, does anyone catch the grief from people who don’t use them? This week I have caught nothing but grief from everyone cause I do use them. I have been away from bass fishing for about 10 years maybe things have changed I dont know. I enjoy using them though.

spuds704

Most people who trash talk baitcasters have never learned to set one up to cast it, too smart to read directions or listen to someone explain it for them. Look what the pros use, they may have a spinning rod or two, I have a couple that I keep in the boat but there is several baitcasters there for the heavy work. Those people are showing their ignorance.

Rob Lee

I agree, use whatever. I prefer dynamite. Seriously, used a variety of poles (cane) without reels as a young boy and did quite well.

fischnrod

I rarely use a spinning reel, I went straight from a closed face Zebco 202/404 to a baitcaster and never looked back. I do have a couple now that I use for crappie mostly but feel awkward casting one

rstewart

For bass fishing I rarely use anything other than a baitcast reel. Drop-shotting or fishing a weightless Texas-rig are about the only times I use a spinning reel. Prior to discovering braided line I would do anything to avoid using a spinning reel. I have more isues with getting birdsnest in spinning reels using mono than I ever have with a baitcast reel. PowerPro is good stuff!

I rarely carry a spinning rod in the boat and only do when its cold weather. Baitcaster is the way to go its more versatile

jpdavidm

Agree use whatever you are comfortable with I have 2 spinning reels don't worry about what other people think as long as you are out fishing I use P-Line Halo.

Cp78

I agree with you it’s about catching them. I have one spinner that I use the rest are BC. They have some nice ones out now compared to 10 years ago.

porthos33

I use bait asters for line size 12lb test to 100lb test and I use spinning rods for finesse presentation 10lb test and under. Seems the pros stick pretty close to this also. You can't beat a bait caster for power fishing.

Smalliefan2

I carry half and half, bc and spinning. Spinning is great for 10-12# or lighter, plus light weight lures. I use baitcasters for cranking and line weights 15# and above. Use what fits your individual preference, don't worry about the nay sayers.

Crankinken

Do what is most comfortable for you. The posts above are correct regarding line strength and bait weight. I use mostly bc as well but spinning reel for finesse. Of course this is for bass fishing. Some people prefer other setups for different species such as walleye or your panfish. Whatever makes it most enjoyable for you and you have confidence in. Use that. Good fishing!

jwkiker79

Don't worry about what people think, I've had the opposite and had people give me grief about using my spinning reels all the time. At Christmas and birthdays I've been given some really nice spinning reels and I use them and have fun. I'll eventually invest in a good BC but as long as I'm fishing for something I would use a cane pole if that was all I had lol.

flyman

it doesn't matter..use what you want and what you are comfortable with....years ago I used a Zebco 808 with 50lb mono on a flipping stick..it took me forever to learn to flip and skip with a BC. . I had friends that would laugh at me... until we got to the scales...

Liveliner

Laugh in their face as if they are Morons and keep on casting. My biggest concern is Why does this offend you?.

Johna

At almost 70 yrs old using a spinning reel for an hour and my wrist get extremely sore. It even effects me using a baitcaster after it starts hurting.

Pop-R

I remember a BFL several years ago I was fishing it was post spawn. Everyone was on the spinner bait bite or cranking. I lost my good spinner bait on the first cast and only had a chartreuse one. My boating was catching the on a white one and I wasn't getting bit. I had a spinning rod there and tied on a big pink floating worm to dance about the grass after seeing it on Worming with Woo video. 19+ pounds and a good check later my boater was laughing with his buddies saying I wore him out with a pink worm and sissy stick. He was joking but didn't hurt my feelings one bit.

fanvahDRxfi3562

Of course, much has changed in 10 years. Technology does not stand still, even in inventory for fishing. I advise you to look at the review of the best top braided fishing line. After that you will understand how much gears have changed and improved ;)

Lx545

I find that spinning gear hurts my wrists less. I have mostly baitcasters but love using my 2 spinning setups. I say use what works. My grandpa uses a zebco 33. Never would imagine making fun of him or try to convince him to use anything different.

Gator

I prefer bait casters bass fishing also but fish with guys that never use anything but spinning outfits. I believe they tried but didn’t learn how to set up a bait caster nor learned to use it. However making fun of what somebody chooses to use is simply childish, i would ignore them.