Help a Brother Out: New to the Area

Hey everyone,

My name is Seth and I just recently moved to the area. I work as the digital brand manager for American Angler, Fly Tyer, and Gray's Sporting Journal; I also serve as the editor for The Angling Report. Long story short, I work in the fly fishing industry, but am new to the area and know next to nothing about the local fisheries.

I now live off of Savannah Bay (which I understand may or may not be a carp on the fly honeyhole) and am interested in learning about both the lakes, reservoirs, rivers, etc. Few questions: Do the stripers on any local impoundments (especially Chick) bust bait on the topwater, and become accessible on fly rod? Where is the best area/river to float for smallies? Finally, anyone with info and tips on Muskie on the fly is automatically my new best friend.

Here's the deal, since I know the rules and rarely in life do you get something for nothing, I'm willing to trade boat time for anyone interested in showing me around. I'll have a new Towee Rivermaster Calusa here in a few weeks, and I'm happy to take anyone out who has credible info, but is not willing to share on a forum.

Help a brother out! emoToast

go blue

Welcome. I have a cousin who use to own a fly shop and we use to fly fish the rivers around here. I know he still does. I can call him and see if he will or even show you around if you would like me to.

rstewart

Talk to the folks at Reliance Fly and Tackle. They might know where you might fly fish for Stripers as the move up the Hiwassee.

go blue

423-327-1567. His name is Greg. This is my cousin I was telling you about. He said call him and he would be more than happy to help you out. Just tell him that you got his number from Nick Chuba.

Troutbum

Hey Seth - welcome to the area.

For muskie - go see Carson at the Blue Ridge fly shop on Manufacturer's Road. He is the man to see for muskie around here and a great guy to boot. He also knows more than a little about some good smallie fisheries.

Most of the striper fishing I do, which is not much, is below Chickamauga dam in the winter. Hit or miss proposition. I know some guys do chase stripers up top during certain times of the year. Basically it's a game of follow the birds. The better striper fisheries are probably going to be in north Georgia. Lanier, Weiss, the entire Coosa river system, etc. I haven't done much striper fishing but can probably point you a general direction as far as getting info.

About 90 percent of my fly fishing is for carp. Savannah Bay can hold a few carp now and then. Also starting to target gar, if you're interested in that. Sight fishing, aggressive takes - it's a hoot.

Also, not sure if you have a need for writers, but I've had a few pieces in magazines like The Drake, The Fly Fish Journal, Eastern Fly Fishing,etc. Just thought I would throw that out there.

PM me if you need more info on any of the above.

gaspergou

hey Seth,

Muskie are spawning right now, might want to give them a break for another couple weeks. Stripers are better than some people think and can be targeted on fly rather effectively, but most of the folks that know don't talk (and vice versa). :)

Yea,

I know what you mean about the striper guys. It was sort of similar on Lake Lanier (near where I moved from), and for good reason. Now, if your chasing stripers on the fly in Lanier, you have 3 minutes or less before the other boats pull up on any topwater pods you find. It makes everything really tense and people start getting really protective--which is understandable.

It's intellectual property, and people need to find their own DAMN STRIPERS! haha

It's not that I'm looking for short cuts, just some general info. Maybe pick up some fishing buddies along the way!

Thanks Nick.

Looks like I may have found my first victim!

richg99

I understand that the Caney Fork, near the Cumberland, has produced some stripers. That is a long way from Chattanooga though.

flycaster

Hey Seth, welcome to the area. Lots of fishing opportunities around here. I used to be a big subscriber to Grays. I am not knowledgeable about the striper fishing around here, but we float the tailwaters for trout in East Tennessee. The Sulphur hatches are getting ready to taker off and can be a lot of fun.

richg99

Flycaster,.. I have a 16 ft. tinny. She runs pretty shallow but I wouldn't want to run a rock-filled river with her, unless I could expect 1 or 2 feet of water. Is that possible in the tailwaters that you float?

I took a float trip down the Caney a year or two ago. Caught about ten bows but no size. Would love to do more of that type of fishing but without a guide. Any suggestions or help appreciated. I live near Crossville. thanks, rich

flycaster

richg99, the rivers I am floating would be no problem with your boat as long as they are generating water through the dam. You will see some shallow stretches, but still deep enough to get through.

richg99

Thanks. I've never seen a full size boat in the Caney Fork (nearest to me). Can you suggest another River near I-40?

flycaster

The Caney , when it's up, should be no problem with a boat that size. next nearest river near I-40 would be the Clinch.

Let's get a gar story together. Interested?

Tight_Lines

We were just up at the Collins river this past weekend it is Supposed to be a good Muskie River, i was told after our weekend you should float the the section from Shellford Bridge down to the VFW and hit the deep pools. though can NOT get a big boat in there. Kayak or really small skiff is best bet. I am also told that the best Guide for Muskie on that River is Dwayne Hickey - I think his number is 931.273. 7937. google Muskie on the Prowl and you will get more info on him and his guide service. it the colder sections futher away from the Great falls dam im told trout and other fish are also caught. tho also Muskie as i understand is the fish of of 10,000 casts!! Good Luck and Tight Lines!!