Lake Champlain Trip, July 1st

danrnsmyth

About every five years I make a trip North to fish for smallmouth. When I was younger and my son was on a collegiate rowing team we used a canoe and did the boundary waters in Northern Minnesota but this year I am headed to Champlain. I wondered if anyone has any information or advice or tips as I have never been on that big lake. I know it is clear and I will need to use some fluro leaders and I am staying in the islands and will fish the leeward side if the wind is up on that 120 mile of water. If anyone has Humminbird map card to loan out or I had considered buying a Smart Strike Northeast but hate to pay that much for a one time use as the smart strike might give me some areas to fish based upon guesses as to seasonal patterns and locations to fish but I would welcome any information,,it is a mere 850 mile trip, thanks

Smalliefan2

What part of the lake are you staying on ? Ti, mid lake, S.Hero, Rouses Point ? Plattsburgh alumni's, and lived back there seven years before returning to Chattanooga. PM me if you need info.

danrnsmyth

I am staying on North Hero Sunday thru Wednesday and then moving down to the Anchorage Inn on South Hero on the Vermont side of the island for three days. On North Hero I am staying in that little narrow passage (Alburg?) that runs north . I am guessing that I will be fishing 8 to 12 foot of water with swim baits, shakey head, drop shot , senko and maybe texas rigged tubes. Trying to figure out what to look for to find fish , reefs or break lines or baitfish or all of the above.