You are logged in as a guest. ( Logon | Register Now! )

Shakey head/Drop shot rod(s)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1
   Fishing Fishing Discussion

Posted by Rob Lee
6/4/2018 5:52 PM
Looking to buy subject rod and/or rods. Would appreciate input. Thanks.
Posted by bullet02
6/4/2018 9:02 PM
What price range?
Posted by Blue76
6/4/2018 10:01 PM
I use a shimano expride with a ci4 reel. Weighs almost nothing and is super sensitive. I used to get tendinitis from spinning setups until this one. Never thought it would make so much difference.

Greg
Posted by Rob Lee
6/5/2018 6:45 PM
That is a really nice outfit! I may splurge someday but was hoping for rod/reel in the middle of the road. Maybe for both applications. Can I borrow yours...I know I will love it. Thanks for the response guys. I fished a Shakey head jig today with my worm rod today. Caught seven and lost a monster at the boat. Thanks again.
Posted by jb366
6/5/2018 8:34 PM
A st.croix premier 7' in medium is a pretty good. Use braid with a fluoro leader to help with the feel. Shimano saharas are dang good reels for the money.
If you decide to save a bunch of pennies a Kistler helium 3 is hard to beat in any configuration. Super light and super sensitive.
Posted by djsmarinelectronics
6/5/2018 8:43 PM
Come by and check out the Cashion Drop Shot Rod
Posted by silvertalon
6/5/2018 9:08 PM
IMO, The only reason for using a spinning set-up is for the vertical fall and presentation on an open spool. The line twist from a spinning rig drives me crazy. I've adapted most of my finesse applications to using a 6 1/2 med and med lite baitcasting rig with 8lb line. If I'm fishing deeper than say- 8ft, I'll pull out the spinning rig for the vertical drop and presentation. Don't get me wrong- I grew up with spinning and spincast rigs. guess I should go back to it more but...Just me.
Posted by silvertalon
6/5/2018 9:27 PM
I've got the MHX rod building system for repair and building. I do plan on making a nice quality 7' Med spinning rod when I get the time. It should inspire me to get back to spinning a lot more.

Edited by silvertalon 6/5/2018 9:28 PM
Posted by Blue76
6/5/2018 9:41 PM
I use braid with a leader to avoid the line twist. People worry about the knots but i fly fished for years so tying leaders is normal for me.
Posted by Lx545
6/6/2018 8:08 AM
I use a newer mitchell 300 combo with 15lb braid and a 12lb flouro leader. Works well enough to me.

Edited by Lx545 6/6/2018 8:08 AM
Posted by camaro88z
6/6/2018 11:36 PM
silvertalon - 6/5/2018 10:08 PM

IMO, The only reason for using a spinning set-up is for the vertical fall and presentation on an open spool. The line twist from a spinning rig drives me crazy. I've adapted most of my finesse applications to using a 6 1/2 med and med lite baitcasting rig with 8lb line. If I'm fishing deeper than say- 8ft, I'll pull out the spinning rig for the vertical drop and presentation. Don't get me wrong- I grew up with spinning and spincast rigs. guess I should go back to it more but...Just me.

Not just you. When I first got into bass fishing I said I could do anything with my spinning gear that people can do with a baitcaster. Then I finally bought one. So used to it now I feel underpowered If I fish spinning now. The twisting of the line a spinning gear drives me crazy as well. For my drop shot rod now I use a 7' medium mod lews baitcaster. I fishing casting so much now I do not have confidence in spinning gear and can't hit my targets. Need to get back to it some. But till I have to I will stick with what I have confidence in.

Edited by camaro88z 6/6/2018 11:38 PM
Posted by jb366
6/7/2018 8:36 AM
Blue76 - 6/5/2018 9:41 PM

I use braid with a leader to avoid the line twist. People worry about the knots but i fly fished for years so tying leaders is normal for me.

I guess people tend to think a knot is a weakness in the chain and will fail. I use an alberto knot and have never had a problem. I've broken of tons of hang ups with 20lb braid to 8 or 10 fluoro and the joint knot (knock on wood)has never broken
Spread the word

del.icio.us Digg Furl Reddit BB Google Ma.gnolia Netscape Simpy StumbleUpon Technorati Live Yahoo!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Advertiser
Action Alarms DJs Electronics Keller Williams Realty Piscifun Scenic City Fishing Matt Sage Insurance Tenn. Fishing

Advertiser

CFF Calendar
August 2018
SMTWTFS
      1 2 3 4
5 6» 7 8 9 10 11
12 13» 14 15 16 17» 18»
19» 20» 21 22 23 24 25
26» 27» 28 29 30 31  

Upcoming events (next 2 weeks)
Aug 17 CATCH
Aug 17 ---
Aug 18 RHS Bass Splash 8p.m-2a.m
Aug 19 Dream chasers open tournament
Aug 20 Hiwassee/58 Tournament Series
Aug 26 Dream chasers open tournament CFP
Aug 27 Hiwasee/58 Tournament CLASSIC

Advertiser

Random Photo
Rockwood High School Football (I coach here)

"Rockwood High School Football (I coach here)"
Album: Bub591945

(Delete all cookies set by this site)

Copyright © 1996-2018 All rights reserved.
Duplication in whole or in part of this Web site without express written consent is prohibited.
CFF Privacy Policy

Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software