Help with Humm. 798 ci and Navionics chip, please

richg99

I bought this card...
Quantity Price

NAMSDNAVPSO Navionics PLUS Pre-Loaded SD Card - South Region
and used it successfully in my HB 587 ci hd.

I wanted to buy another exact same chip to use with my 798 ci, but thought I'd try the card in the 798 cdi si before buying a second card. I looked on the Navionics website and this same chip shows as compatible for both units.

I removed the card from the 587 and placed it into the 798, but do not get any depth lines etc. Perhaps I haven't set something up right. I hope I didn't mess up the card by moving it??

When I originally put it in the 587, I had to select a "Fish and Chip" designation as the Chip.
I chose the same "Fish and Chip" in the 798 but the unit only shows my boat as an icon moving through a blank "lake". No depth or other data shows. The depth etc. showed great on the 587.

The only additional clinker is that the 798 does not, as of right now, have a transducer attached. It is back in Texas on my boat there. Could the missing transducer mess me up?

I am only interested in using the GPS/map-depth feature at this time. I have another FF on the bow now for depth.

Any help appreciated.

rich

Pop-R

you can always give humminbird a call 800-633-1468 They are very helpful if no one on here knows.

spnplgr

I have a bird 700 series with a nav chip. The 700 series will not work at all unless the ducer is connected. Don't know if it will work with the ducer connected and just lying on the floor. I bought the unit for the GPS map only and had no intention of using the sonar features, but discovered this flaw upon attempting to use the map only. Stupid of the bird folks to do that.

Mr. S

When you power it up, after the exit screen, I'm stating this of course from my 898 and 899 units. Short press the power button a short menu will pop up, there you can turn off the sonar and the unit should just act as a GPS unit. And It has to have a clear view of the sky of course... Then you could just switch through your map selections to see which one works. I had to use the "Fish n Chips" map also on my 898. Also if your unit has more than one card slot you may have to tell the unit which slot the card is in. And you really need the second memory card. It helps with waypoints so they aren't saved on the Nav chip.

richg99

That is, in a strange way, a good answer. Thank you. At least I know where to go.

What I can do now is confirm by temporarily attaching the t'ducer I have in the Stern. Then, I'll make a decision as to whether or not I want buy a t'ducer, or wait until I bring the one that I have in Texas back with me in the Spring. I'll probably just buy one. Thanks again. Rich

Mr. S

I use the power menu to turn off the pinging when I raise my TM to move. Then I leave it on that screen so I don't have to pull it up again when I get where I'm going.

richg99

Mr. S. THANK YOU! You led me to the right answer. All is well and it is working now. I'll buy the second chip since I have proved that I don't need the transducer (though I may still buy that one, too).

On my unit, 798 ci, the choice to turn off the sonar is on a menu, as opposed to the "quick button" arrangement. Amazingly, that choice is NOT on the SONAR screen, but a menu or two away??? Anyhow, I found the ...Turn Off.. option and clicked on it. Then, I drove to a small lake nearby and, sitting in my van on the shoreline, I could read the depths and bumps going out 100 yards or so. I have no doubt that when I put the new chip in and go to Chick or Watts Bar, that the same type of data will be there. thanks again. rich

Oldman

sell that card and get your self a good card.(lakemaster) you wont be sorry.