Minn Kota Ultrex or Ulterra

dryhorn2

The wife has given me the green light on a new trolling motor but I cant make up my mind. I need help from the ones who has them.

Pro and Cons ..

tp44

If you like to pull the rope, get the Ultrex. However if you like to stay seated at any location and get the motor in the water, then the Ulterra is the one. Either way they are great. I have the Ulterra and it is the best thing since sliced bread. Talk with DJ's and he can get you the best price around.

Mudman

I would say there is some one at MK right now making a demo of a ultra ultrex which is a ultrex that deploys and retracts like the ulterra but with ultrex frame. Lol cost is 4 G.

Kickerfish

I have the ulterra and would have gotten the ultrex if I had known. Its an awesome TM but I don't like the foot control on it. I use only my handheld control. I tried the ultrex control and liked it way better. It feels more like the traditional foot control.

FishingwithRusty

havent used the ulterra and have only spent 16hrs on the water with my ultrex but i will say the ultrex is FREAKING AWESOME!!!!

FirstLight

Ultrex. ive been fishing over an ipilot for years now on my Dad's boat and always liked it except for the foot control was not responsive. I have the ultrex on my boat now and it is great. The foot control is electric assist and works really well. And as far as deployment it has lift assist so its really easy to handle in and out of the water.

elwestb

The Ultrex does not offer assist lift ... yet. You still have to pull the cord. That will probably be on the next model coming out. Both models have the spot lock which is AWESOME! The Ultrex does have the electric power drive on the foot pedal that the Ulterra does not have. The pedal is completely adjustable with tension control for your personal settings. It is the easiest, most effortless pedal I have ever seen.

pakjohn

I bought my Ulterra from DJS and chose it over the Ultrex because I take kids and seniors on my boat and being able to deploy is a blessing. You can trip the prop out of the water and record a track using the gas motor then put your electric motor down and hit repeat. If you fish for crappie, stripes, or fast current the Ulterra is king. I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you go Ulterra consider the Riptide, you can get a 52 inch shaft, nice for those days when you have chop and don't want the prop coming our of the water on every wave.

djsmarinelectronics

I have sold a lot of both over the past 8 months. The biggest concerns I hear are the slow response of the wireless foot pedal on the Ulterra, hard to use around docks, structure etc. I have heard one problem of the Ulterra not stowing, at night, and that was a nightmare. Ultrex has had some foot pedal problems as well but all mechanical. They both have a few minor problems like the wire plug pulling out of the head, which does not affect performance; it is more difficult to add a DI or SI transducer to the foot with the Ulterra, but it can be done with purchase of few brackets. If you don't run the transducer cable correctly on an Ultrex it is easily cut in two on deployment. Spot Lock and i-Pilot functions are great on both models. I have the Ulterra on my boat which is great for putting a boat in by yourself, if you use the proper procedure and make sure it is working before you float your boat off the trailer.

As Pakjohn said, either one is great and they both have their pros and cons.

Be glad to answer any questions you might have on either model.