Where to install humminbird AS GPS-HS puck

FirstLight

I just installed helix 9’s on my rig, one on the bow and one on the console. The internal gps on the bow unit is frustrating because if you are not moving, the heading icon of the boat gets out of position making it tough to stay on a waypoint. Everything i have heard and researched, the remedy is an external puck. I am wondering where the best place to install it is. Near the transducer under the transom since that is where most of the scanning takes place? Or closer to the bow unit because that is where the fishing takes place.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Mr. S

I have a internal and a puck unit. My internal is on the bow for obvious reasons, I mounted my puck on the stern of my boat directly above the ducer. To me that gives me exact location when I'm on my bow unit location the spot I just look a little to the right because my bow head unit is a little to the left of my ducer on the TM. To answer your question I would think it is better to have the puck as close to the ducer as possiable. IMO.

elwestb

I was told the back half of the boat or further. Not toward the front of the boat.

Pop-R

You could be getting electromagnetic interference from trolling motor or something else on the one up front. You can check with a basic compass to see if the area is affected. That can pull your true north pointing off. But you do want it close to the transducer you are marking with.

FirstLight

Thanks guys. Everything I've researched points towards the back of the boat too. More stabile on the back deck, its closer to the transducer that you are scanning with, etc. I guess you have to factor in the length of the boat when you are on the bow of the boat because the waypoint will be related to the puck in the back of the boat. Plus there is a margin of error with gps units anyway.

FirstLight

Pop-R - 6/28/2018 8:23 AM

You could be getting electromagnetic interference from trolling motor or something else on the one up front. You can check with a basic compass to see if the area is affected. That can pull your true north pointing off. But you do want it close to the transducer you are marking with.

I thought about that too. I will check and see. I did have a Lowrance in the same spot and it seemed to work better than this unit. thanks.

jb366

Mine is mounted on the front deck but I have 360 so it needs to be to see waypoint on the 360 screen. I don't have any issues with trolling motor interference.
I use the puck for the bow unit and internal for the console

Hook1

I had a 798 on the bow and the internal GPS receiver went bad. I bought a puck and Y-cable to connect to the unit and interlink system. I mounted the puck on the front of the boat and never had any trouble with interference. I upgraded to Helix units and no longer need the gps puck but it’s there just in case.

FishingwithRusty

the heading sensor(HS) will definitely help you on your front graph stay oriented to your waypoints. if the HS is primarily for you to stay on your wp's while fishing then i would put it as close to the front graph as possible without magnetic artifact. if you put it on the back off the boat you'll have to offset for the distance between the graph and the HS. i have the HS for my 360 on the front next to the HS for my ultrex and havent noticed any issues.

FishingwithRusty

put it up front with the unit

FirstLight

FishingwithRusty - 6/28/2018 1:44 PM

the heading sensor(HS) will definitely help you on your front graph stay oriented to your waypoints. if the HS is primarily for you to stay on your wp's while fishing then i would put it as close to the front graph as possible without magnetic artifact. if you put it on the back off the boat you'll have to offset for the distance between the graph and the HS. i have the HS for my 360 on the front next to the HS for my ultrex and havent noticed any issues.

My units are linked. So if i put the HS on the front deck, and I am scanning at the console and hit a waypoint, will that waypoint be related to the HS or the unit on my console where I hit the waypoint? thx

FishingwithRusty

you can choose which gps antenna the units use, even if they are networked, select the HS for the bow and internal for the console. the problem you described in your initial post was about loosing your bearing while fishing in relation to your waypoints which the HS will help with.

FirstLight

FishingwithRusty - 6/29/2018 8:09 AM

you can choose which gps antenna the units use, even if they are networked, select the HS for the bow and internal for the console. the problem you described in your initial post was about loosing your bearing while fishing in relation to your waypoints which the HS will help with.

Thanks. emoThumbsup

FirstLight

Hook1 - 6/28/2018 10:47 AM

I had a 798 on the bow and the internal GPS receiver went bad. I bought a puck and Y-cable to connect to the unit and interlink system. I mounted the puck on the front of the boat and never had any trouble with interference. I upgraded to Helix units and no longer need the gps puck but it’s there just in case.

I was wondering if the internal GPS went bad on my unit, but it showed that it was receiving a bunch of satellites when I went in to see how many satellites were showing up.

Dgreen

If the map is moving around on you all you have to do is hit the arrow button and turn on the target cross hairs, everything will stop moving except your boat movement inside the map. Not sure if this is the problem your looking to solve but thought i'd throw it out there. If nothing else it might help someone else.

Hook1

I never knew about that feature Dgreen! So yes it was helpful after all lol.

FirstLight

Dgreen - 6/29/2018 12:30 PM

If the map is moving around on you all you have to do is hit the arrow button and turn on the target cross hairs, everything will stop moving except your boat movement inside the map. Not sure if this is the problem your looking to solve but thought i'd throw it out there. If nothing else it might help someone else.

Thanks. Ill try that!

FishingwithRusty

Dgreen - 6/29/2018 1:30 PM

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! never heard that one, will have to try it