Opinions on the Hummingbird 999ci HD SI

muskyman

I currently have an old Lowrance LCX 28cHD - and it is stuck on 1.3ft deep everywhere I go, plus the gps went out years ago. I am really in the market for the side imaging. Any pro's or cons on the unit ? And GPS too, am I gonna need to buy chips like on my lowrance or do they come pre-loaded ? Thanks

I had a 999 on the bow of my old sled. It is a superb unit - plenty of detail, terrific imaging, and the interfaces are more user friendly than Lowrance IMHO (I switched from Lowrance 9 years ago). The screen was plenty big enuff to see everything I needed/wanted. The 999 will come w/ the pre-loaded HB map data (it's good) but I recommend adding the Navionix Platinum chip. That'll give you the contour resolution you'll need for precise targeting, scouting.

The side imaging function will revolutionize how you scout and practice. Having the ability to see laterally will save you tons of time. It'll also allow you to find fish without sticking them.

VolsFan24

I have a 999 and 899. I think they are great. My buddy just got a Helix 9 and the picture is more crisp. But i have never had a problem seeing what Im looking for. I use my 999 up front with Humminbird 360 imaging and have seen fish and casted to them, and caught them before. So that means i can see perfect with my 999. I wont uograde until these go out. I really would like to get an 1199 or 2.

And in my opinion the Lake Master gps chip is better than the Navionics.

Oldman

i have a 999 on the front of my boat and i love it.gps is spot on.

Mr. S

And make sure it comes with the Humminbird XHS 9 HDSI 180 T/TM, this is the HD ducer and image quality is much improved over the compact ducer that some of the units comes with. It has the 83/200 khz and 455/800 khz beams. I just had to put one on my bow bird for this reason, I could really tell the difference between my console unit, 898c and my bow 899ci. My console unit had the HD ducer and the bow did not. And +1 on the lakemaster chip. You probably have a Navionics in your Lowrance, it will work in a bird but the lakemaster detail is far better when it comes to contours.
Not to promote another site, but this thread will help you or anyone wanting to understand better what their electronics are telling them.
https://www.crappie.com/crappie/side-down-imaging/289801-sonar-quiz-thread/

muskyman

I have the minn kota maxxum 101 with the US2 built in transducer. My trolling motor is like almost 10 yrs old I think. I wonder if it will work on the bow as I currently have a humminbird unit on the bow. I was thinking of putting the 999 at the helm, but now it sounds like with side imaging, I would be crazy to put it at the helm. Or should I just but two new units ? And if I do, how do I keep from getting divorced ?

Mr. S

Ok, so I understand you are looking at electronics. What end result are you looking for. You said your Lowrance is stuck on 1.3'. Is it not seeing depth or bottom contours, or both. If you are using the US2 ducer in the TM you may have a issue with it. Just trying to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Mr. S

OK, I think I have it, you have a bird on the bow connected to the US2 in your TM. Keep in mind the old US2 is just 2d sonar, no DI/SI. What model bird? If you purchase a unit with SI you should definitely put it on the helm. SI is lack luster on the bow. It needs forward motion to be of any real use, IMO. Depending on what bird you have on the bow, you said you were looking at a 999 legacy series, I think 7xx, 8xx, 9xx 11xx all can be networked together. They can share waypoints, you can switch transducers and gps antenna between the units.

muskyman

My lowrance is not networked to my trolling motor. I was looking at the 999 for the helm unit since the lowrance is toast. It has been doing this for the past two years on and off, but now it does not function. The trolling motor transducer works well with the humminbird 797 unit I currently have on the bow.

djsmarinelectronics

Mr. S - 8/5/2018 10:15 PM

yes according to this chart your 797, though not listed, should network to a 999.
https://www.humminbird.com/sites/humminbird_site/files/networkingchart2018.pdf

I would double check the network capability of a 797c2 with Humminbird, it is not listed on the chart and I don't remember it having a coaxial fitting on the back for a network cable. The "dongle" used to network a 999 and up Humminbird units was not in existence at the time 797's were built.

Mr. S

Thats good to know DJ, thank you. I was just going from my experience. I have a 898c and had not seen it on a list but It is networked to my 899CI

djsmarinelectronics

Pop-R - 8/6/2018 8:58 AM

I just went through the same things and was going to network mine. the 7XX and others have to be HD models before the dongle will work. There is a center hole the HD's have that mine didn't. There are pics on this link showing the back of the units and what connections they have. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fish...graphy/161363-humminbird-ethernet-information

Perfect, just what I was looking for.....so if youdon’t have a “metal” ethernet port or the “hour glass” pattern port on the 797, it will not network to any other humminbird.

Thanks Pop-R, great chart......one I will file for future use.

FishingwithRusty

the 999 is a GREAT unit! i have the 998 with thousands of hours on it, used it on the console til i got my helix, then used it up front with si, then 360 and now using up front for DI and mapping.

i would recommend a mapping card that allows you to highlight/color certain depth ranges, i know lakemaster does this and heard that its now available in some navionics cards