Baits/Lures with mono compared to braid..

Tight_Lines

should different baits (hard and soft) be fish with either mono or braid?? by that i mean will a different type of line effect the way a bait will work with one as apposed to the other?? granite i have been fishing when i can which is the wrong part of the day.. 4 or 5p in afternoon.. ( hottest part of day). but i fished off of bank yesterday afternoon up at Daughtery Ferry bridge in sale creek for a couple of hrs. threw all sorts of baits and fished all slow and fast retrieve, every way i know how with no bites.. ive had the same result below the chickamauga dam also.. am i doing something wrong other than wrong part of day?? ( which that part i know but only time i can get out) seems like the bite has been A LOT harder this year than last?? any help would be great!!
thanks to all!!

<font size="3">This is only my opinion and opinions vary greatly depending on who you talk to. </font></p>

<font size="3">First: fish aren't line shy or they would also be hook shy. </font></p>

<font size="3">Second: Line test and type affect lure action and strike detection can also be affected by line type and diameter. Too heavy a line if used with a light lure mutes the strike by way of line bow resistance. So as the old wisdom suggests: use the lightest line you can get away with.</font></p>

<font size="3">Now, when using heavier lures in tight cover or in deep water, you can get away using heavier test lines especially at longer distance casts. Here's where line type is important. Mono has the most stretch of any line and many anglers use only braid that has zero stretch. I also feel that braid gives me a better feel for light strikes 40' away from me. The only problem with braid is that light lures don't have the best action as when I add a fluorocarbon leader (which for those that believe fish are line shy, is almost invisible in the water). Note: fc leaders are more abrasion resistant than either mono or braid.
</font></p>

<font size="3">Location matters <u>always</u> and fish do bite in the middle of the day when the water temperature is a hot 85 degrees. (Caught over 50 fish/4 species </font><font size="3"><font size="3">one day l</font>ast week from 11-3:30pm in a bright hot sun.) Granted, sometimes the morning bite can be better, but on average if I can find fish I can catch them. (By finding a mean using a fish finder.) Bank anglers are at a disadvantage because their fish finders are primarily their lures whereas a boat anglers use sonar <u>and</u> lures to locate fish. So move around and cast 180 degrees from where you're standing and at different depths. No luck, move on.
</font></p>

<font size="3">Suggestion: try going smaller in lure size and use grubs at first when possible. Grub is a lure category that includes hundreds of soft plastic lure designs having different actions. Lure action is what <u>makes</u> fish bite whether feeding or not. I start with 1/16 oz ball head jigs and rig lures 2.5" or less in length. If I find fish are biting, I'll go to larger lures when fishing for bass but never think bass won't strike grubs on a regular basis especially in moving water.
</font></p>

<font size="3">Good luck!</font>
</p>

</p>

</p>

jb366

You can use whatever line you like but each has their pro's and cons. Braid has more sensitivity, no stretch, highly abrasion resistant and cuts through grass to be able to pull fish out of mats better, but tends to tail hook top waters, limit cb diving depth, and digs into wood when flipping. Mono is decent all around, cheap, and works great with top waters, but it lacks sensitivity, stretches, typically has alot of memory, and limits cb depth.
I know you didn't ask about fluoro but I'll throw in my thoughts on it because it's what I use on the majority of my rigs. Good fluoro is a good middle ground between mono and braid. It's very sensitive, low stretch, abrasion resistant, doesn't limit cb depth, and typically smaller diameter than the same pound mono. But, good fluoro is pretty expensive, higher pound can be tough to tame on a spool, can have some trouble with memory if not used frequently, and breaks easily if frayed or kinked.

Generally unless in super clear water fish aren't going to be line shy. On chick with as much pressure as it gets I try to cut out as much "unnatural" indicators as I can. I only use braid for frogging/punching and on my spinning gear with a 6-8" fluoro leader. I believe it was tactical bassin's underwater strike videos that I was watching and you can hear the braid come through the water as it went by the submerged cameras. They even made mention of how loud it was. The heaviest line I have spooled is 17lb fluoro and that's what I flip with. When A-rig time comes around I'll put 20 lb fluoro on for it.

Tight_Lines

wow! thanks for the SUPER in depth view on my question. i am bank fishing right now.. just dont have enough time to get out on my yak. i figured that at some of these back creeks like up in sale creek (Daugherty Ferry Bridge, and also south Chick the bite might be better since i was not having any luck below the dam. ive never used fluoro leader because im TOO simple to want to mess with it LOL! though might have to start giving it a shot! again.. thanks for all the advice!!! Tight Lines to all!!