90hp 4 stroke 2006 Yamaha Problem

Nauticman

My engine starts fine and runs fine at first, but after a few stops and starts when I try to start it, it will rev up to a high rpm and stop and then will not restart.
Also, sometimes when running down the lake, it will start sputtering and choking down and almost stop, but most of the time I can get it running normally again by giving it full throttle. A couple of times, when it stopped, I could get it running again by pumping the bulb numerous times.
Would appreciate any help.

Nauticman

Thanks, Bill, I took your advice. Took my boat to Glenn yesterday.

Pete Sr.

rsimms

FYI, I had a similar problem a few years back (on a 60 HP Yamaha). After two trips to mechanic, issue not resolved. :(

Mechanic finally called Yamaha and they advised about an "Inline Fuel Filter." It is not the traditional fuel filter you easily see, but a small inline fuel filter that actually looks like an airstone in an aquarium.

It had been fouled, apparently by some bad gas. At low speeds it could pull fuel through but at higher speeds it couldn't pull fuel through fast enough. Replaced filter and all was well.

I assume the 90 HP has the same thing? Make sure mechanic knows about that. The guy I was going to was Yamaha Certified but he apparently had never heard or knew about that obscure little inline filter.

Nauticman

Thanks, Richard!