Yamaha 250 Sho

xpress19

I have changed oil 3 times it cost $115 each time I am still making oil . Any suggestions this motor is a 2016 . Sad emoScratch emoTongue

Aries 181

The latest and greatest technology costs extra I guess. My XR6 will drink more gas than a 4S but I don't make long runs and hardly ever go over 40-45 MPH.

If I continue to use good oil, 100% gas and take care of the motor, it should last me until I can't fish anymore because of age.

Bill

silvertalon

I assume it is a 4 stroke and you are getting water in your oil?

Crankcase venting could be an issue directly related to running temperature. If the motor is not reaching normal opp temp, it will not evaporate condensation from within the sump (oil pan). Try an infra-red temp gun to see if both sides of the engine are reaching about 150. Start by replacing your thermostats . Could also be a leaking gasket somewhere.- cylinder head or powerhead gasket. Check with a Yamaha dealer as they would have service bulletins, Yamaha factory tech assistance, and prior experience with this issue. Unattended water in your crancase oil will lead to rod bearing failure. I recently had a 50 hp 4 stroke that failed from water in the crankcase. Someone removed the thermostat causing it to run cold leading to water build-up.
Try this for now- Store your motor trimmed down after use. After a few days sitting, you can pull the drain plug and let the water out as it will have settled to the bottom of the pan. Top off level with fresh 10W30 Yamaha oil. This way you will also know how much water is getting in. A 2016 should still be under warranty !

thegman

I've heard of this occuring in multiple SHO engines. I've heard the problem is that the rings aren't seating properly. Getting gas blowby into the crankcase. I've heard that technicians recommend running the engines as hard as possible for an extended time to seat the rings. I think Yamaha should come up with a better fix that.

xpress19

This definitely gas not water I have tried running the hell out of this motor. I have a appointment at Moses Marine Wednesday.

jb366

If you've ran long wot runs(<20 min) at 6k rpm or real close to it and it's still making oil you probably have a tstat stuck open not letting the motor get hot enough to do its thing.If you can't turn it to 6k at wot you need to get a prop that you can.
At this point it's going to take a bit of work to get the rings to seat since the motor has hours on it but it can be done. My sho made oil for the first 4 hours and hasn't made any since. Right at 60 on it now