Termites ate my boat...

Muskrat

Updating a termite thread from April '17 when I found termites on my boat. The hungry little critters ate enough of my boat to where it almost sank on D-dock at HBSP a couple of days ago. It had almost two feet of water in it. A good bilge pump and some quick help from Chad Combs got it on a trailer and saved it. If I hadn't gone by there it would have been sitting on the bottom a few hours later. I'm going to miss that 'ol boat. We caught a lot of fish out of it.

Attachments

• R.I.P..jpg
    R.I.P..jpg
    98 KB · Views: 292

Jmax

Well I know you too well to know you are not going cold turkey, what boat are you getting to replace it? emoScratch Jmax

Muskrat

Jmax - 9/21/2018 2:18 PM

Well I know you too well to know you are not going cold turkey, what boat are you getting to replace it? emoScratch Jmax

I'm not sure just yet Jim. I'm already looking around though. We've been using the pontoon in all of this hot weather lately anyway. It's always good to have a back-up boat. They were both squeezed in one slip and I guess it's a good thing the pontoons are made of aluminum. I believe a lot of the older wooden boats that just sit on D-dock have termites. emoEek

churly

That’s a shame that the park doesn’t do anything about those old boats.

Aries 181

churly - 9/22/2018 10:56 PM

It's called MONEY! As long as the slip rental is paid every month, why would they care. The bugs can't eat the dock, it's all metal.

Bill

Muskrat

churly - 9/22/2018 9:56 PM

The small houseboat that is such an eyesore sits directly in front of the restaurant window. It's been abandoned for over 6 years ! I know because my slip is almost directly across from it. The park doesn't do anything unless a boat finally sinks. When I told the office my boat had termites last year they couldn't of cared less. One of the rangers said I couldn't prove anything. I told him I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm giving you the information that termites have been found on D-dock and I'm sure boat owners would need to be made aware of it. They p******d me off so much I called the local field office of TDEC - Tennessee Department of Environmental Conservation the next day and they contacted the park office immediately. They must have jumped on them pretty good because I got a long letter of apologies and letters and e-mails were sent out to the boat owners on D-dock that termites had been reported. My boat was in the water for 7 years and was never taken out of the slip once after I bought it. You can see termite damage on another boat close to mine. Termites look for damp wood as they need a water source. If I hadn't called TDEC the park office wouldn't have told any boat owners about the termites. I can't think of anything that would have more priority than termites in boats that sit on the water. The park office should be ashamed for being so negligent.

digitalcb

Got my tree too emoHungry

Attachments

• termites.jpg
    termites.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 270

Muskrat

rsimms - 9/23/2018 12:40 PM

emoSorry I didn't even know you had another boat. I always thought you were strictly Pontoon People.

I'm surprised Richard. It was our fall...winter...and spring boat and we were in the creek quite a bit. We saw you a few times here and there in the distance. Quite a few pics of us holding fish in it here on the forum.

Muskrat

Dang digitalcb ! Wow. emoHungry emoEek

porthos33

rsimms - 9/23/2018 1:40 PM emoSorry I didn't even know you had another boat. I always thought you were strictly Pontoon People.
</p>

I've seen him in that boat in the winter and spring when I fish down there. I usually see that boat when I'm going to fish a spot and muskrat had the idea before me! haha Now Richard will know who was waving at him from that boat!</p>

digitalcb

Calderwood Lake Beaver

PatriciaJames

<div align="justify"> <font color="#000000">On a boat, termites can turn the frame into the consistency of a sponge. That is why it is very important that you need to treat them with a Spectracide Termite Killing Foam or you can also call up the Termite Exterminating Services in your local area. Like, last year my friend was also dealing with similar situation, after buying his boat he noticed that a trail of termite dust leading away from the block. Then immediately without wasting time, he had called up the termite control Long Island company, where the termite exterminator had detected and done a treatment of those unwanted and damaging pests.</font></div>