Plastics and Dyes/Scents

JohnnyG

I know people use different dyes and scents on their baits, but I’ve developed a confidence in J.J.’s Magic for my plastics. I was wondering if anyone else uses it and if you have ever experimented with pouring it into a spray bottle and using it that way? I think if used correctly and not to where it could blow onto other exterior things that it could add cool dye effects to a plastic bait kind of like glitter does but in a more subtle fashion. Plus the scent would be included with the design. This could maybe apply to some hard baits as well. I’m going to give it a shot and see what happens, I was just wanting to see first if anyone had done it. I’ll probably need to use a small glass type spray bottle because the dye may soak into a plastic bottle. Any thoughts?

churly

I like JJs but usually use the spike it brand. I’m scared if I spill JJs, it will eat through my hull-lol! That’s some strong stuff. I’ve seen it eat through plastic containers.

JohnnyG

Yeah it’s really strong stuff lol. It just lasts forever once on the bait because it soaks in so well. I may try some of the spike it again though. The garlic spray may be useful for how I fish.

on fish

You can put it in a spray bottle and works fine ,like those small ones that you can get for glasses cleaner,also jjs won't eat thru your hull!! His isn't acetone based,it will dye it but even on seats a little windex a Terry cloth towel and a little sun it's gone... I know JJ very well, and his product is great . Also try mixing colors too for different effects.

JohnnyG

Yeah I’ve been using it since spring and it seems to work great, the fish will also hang onto the bait a little longer for a good hook set. I’ve played with mixing the colors a little. But my favorite thing is worm tail tips to red or chartreuse and creature/jig trailer pinchers to red or orange. I tried dipping a Zman elaztech worm back in the spring and it IMMEDIATELY disintegrated lol. I knew about not mixing those Zmans with other plastics and not keeping them outside of their original packaging, but I had no idea they would just evaporate when placed in a dye ??. It seems to work great though on every other plastic I’ve used.

on fish

Carry q tips with you to to also paint baits,and they do hang in to it

I really like JJ's for how it works, but I do not use it because of how it interacts with some things. I am a co-angler, do not have a boat, so when I go I never would take JJ's because if it gets hot in the boat it will spew when you open it and soak the boat with dye. If you are going to use it, put it in the cooler or at least in a compartment where it will not get too hot. Also, I took a bottle of it, and poured it into a solo cup to dye up some lizards I had. I poured it in the cup, and turned around to get the lizards, turned back around and it had eaten through the cup and was dripping onto my back patio. JJ's will also eat some plastics over time. It makes all of the Yamatato baits even softer and last even less time. I use Spike it, it is not as strong a scent as JJ's, and the die job is not as good most times, but it seems to work ok and it is a little more user friendly than JJ's is. Spike it will also eat up some Zman stuff, had it eat the tail right off a Razor Shad on a Chatterbait, but other than that never had it eat anything. I almost always use the chartruse because spots like that color. I do use the Spike It pens to color up some orange on jigs sometimes.

JohnnyG

Yeah I have my JJs in a waterproof container that has a sponge that has holes cut out for each color. It’s very secure and I keep it in a storage area on the boat where it can’t cause any problems. I just think “mist” spraying it could add some interesting effects to some plastics. I’ll just have to do it without having any overspray lol.