Foul Weather Fishing Comments Please

rsimms

Everybody knows we've had more than our share of foul weather in recent days. I'm writing a story about foul weather fishing and I'd appreciate hearing some comments from the CFF crowd. Answers to these questions (or anything else you want to add).

(1) Do you think bad weather affects fish/fishing and if so, in what way?

(2) Does foul weather discourage you from going fishing on encourage you to go fishing?

(3) Any other foul weather fishing comments/insights you want to add.

Comments "for the record" please... if you don't want to be quoted publicly, ignore this. :)

It's not absolutely essential, but I would appreciate having your REAL name. If it's not in your profile and you don't want to post it. PM me.

Thanks in advance!

Gator

Richard

I'm afraid I'm one that given the choice I will stay home in "foul weather". If it begins to rain while I'm fishing (w/o lightening) I will usually stick it out if it's probably not going to last a long time. I will watch the weather forecast before leaving home and if it's unfavorable I will usually wait until another day since I'm retired. It seems to me that the rain always improves the bite when I'm out there fishing in it.
Ernie Biddy

FishingwithRusty

i enjoy fishing in weather that is considered "less than ideal." modern rain gear does a pretty good job of keeping me warm because in ongoing downpours there really is no staying dry. the low light conditions usually have predators(bass) a little more adventurous and one of the nicest things is having the lake pretty much to myself. being on the water while its snowing is AMAZING!!!!! the snow buffers the sound and its so quiet and peaceful, except of course for the singing of the line through the water because the fish usually bite pretty good when its snowing.

FullQuiver07

1) Strictly based on my experiences I think that mild "foul" weather improves fishing. Rainy, overcast, windy days seem to create conditions that cause fish to feed. The overcast condition probably creates more darkness in the water to improve ambush type feeding, wind can force bait fish into smaller areas, and rain tends to wash potential bait into the shallows. Severe foul weather that causes extreme changes in water condition, such as temperature and clarity seems to shut the bite down.
2) I personally love to fish in the rain (now that I own quality rain gear), it's cooler and my expectations go up. Lightning is another story, any lightning with 15 miles and this guy is in the truck. Also, don't mind fishing winter conditions.
3) Think I've covered everything above.
Michael York

Depends on what is considered foul weather. Best day I’ve ever experienced on Chickamauga was during a steady rain that day. The other benefit, especially is spring is it keeps the crowds down. Thunderstorms ? Not so much. If lightning is around, I’m gone.

Nauticman

Winds over 10mph keep me off the lake . Thunderstorms certainly do. I don’t mind rain off and on, but I won’t go on a day like today , when it rains all day, sometimes heavily. I haven’t noticed that the fish bite better in the rain, but then again, I haven’t fished that much in the rain. I don’t mind cold weather, especially if the sun is out and the wind is not blowing. I’ll go in temperatures as low as the low 20s. I like to fish in the winter, there are bass and crappie to be caught and boat traffic and fishing pressure are less. Being retired lets me be more picky as to when to go.

Pete Masic Sr.

Pop-R

I have had great luck with storms approaching. I remember fishing on Nickajack once and we went in because it was going to be a big one. After it passed my buddy didn't want to get his boat back out so we just went back down to the ramp at Shellmound. We were having a great time catching them like crazy. Then one of my friends said do you hear that. Every time he held his rod up it there was a buzzing sound and then the tip of his rod started to glow when he kept it up there. We left immediately after that. I have been in those early year BFL's on Guntersville when everything was freezing from the rod guides to the line guide on the reel shaving the ice off the line as it comes through. But the fish were still active and that was the time of year to catch a big one. I just bundled up and kept the pocket warmer in my shirt cuff and did fine. I just don't chance it around lighting anymore no matter how good it is.

FirstLight

I think that foul weather has a positive impact on fishing. I personally prefer the foul weather days over bluebird calm days. Some of the best days that I have been a part of on the water were during raw, windy, rainy, cool or cold days. Not sure if that is attributed to the fish are being more active in these conditions; or if it is the fact that there is less pressure on the fish during these periods. I do feel that lower light penetration in the water makes the fishing more favorable in most cases.

Pete Masic, Jr.

cuonthelake

Richard,

I found it Best to invest in a great Gore Tex product. Protects you in any foul weather. Some of my best crappie number days catching has been in the rain.

Now the wind is a totally different beast, I stay off the water anytime ithe winds gets up there. I just find it hard even in protective sloughs getting the jigs down to the crappie I prefer to watch the white capping from the comfort of my screened in porch.

Have fished the creek in the winter breaking ice in some areas. The fishing was insane that day, with a very aggressive bite.

My favorite time to fish is anytime I can go!

jimwarden

Foul weather or what I like to call dark days seem to trigger certain species especially in fall, spring, and winter. Summer not so much. I used to fish for sauger below Melton Hill dam when I was a teenager. We did the best on dark days with heavy cloud cover, usually associated with low pressure, wind, and sometimes rain or snow. I have had the same success in these conditions with smallmouth at Watts Bar, Pickwick, and Dale Hollow. The exception I have found to this is fishing for bass in blue back herring lakes like Blue Ridge & Parksville Lake. It seems the sun really gets the blue back herring moving (consuming photo and zoo plankton near the surface) and thus get the spotted bass feeding. On dark days you see the herring close to the bottom and fishing is usually slow.

bassinbrian

I fish when I can. I've had some great days in foul weather. And I've had some really bad days. But it seems my average fish in rain is better and more aggressive. Several years ago my cousin, brother and myself were on Watts bar in a torrential down pour, tornadoes were expected (we didn't know) and we litteraly caught fish every cast!! I mean it was unreal. Quick as it stopped raining and started clearing up the bite died. So the way my work schedule is i fish when I can regardless and make the most of it. I do shy away from lightning though, that's another story in past fishing experiences. Brian Phillios

porthos33

<div>1. It definitely has an affect on the fish. Take for instance the fronts that come through during the early spring. We get intense wind and rain but I have caught and witnessed people catch there personal best on those days. Pre front and during the front seems to be the best. Fish will position in current/wind breaks and they become easier to locate.</div><div></div>

2. Foul weather actually encourages me to go b/c I love when the elements become a challenge and most boaters will be on the couch with their feet propped up! </p>

3. If you don't know how to read your radar, the clouds, and understand how bad it could be Stay at Home! It's not worth it to risk your safety. A few years back I was leaving the lake as a very strong storm had come on. We got out of there safely. I went back the next morning and news channel 3 was at the dock. They told me a few minutes after I took out a guy was coming into his dock as another bigger boat was heading to his dock and the bigger boat ran straight over the the smaller boat and the guy didn't survive. I'm much more cautious b/c of this in foul weather.</p>

Eric Nelson </p>

Here is a link to the news report: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFaswNSAApU&index=10&list=PL9dE5vhxqJfLnBSnOtnt4hvjMw8ZK8MEB&t=0s</p>

silvertalon

Broad and sweeping questions. I have to say, 'Mixed Bag'. I like fishing in the rain as my best results have been at the tail end of a rain maker. Especially a heavy storm- when a front is pulling out and the baro is changing.Or, right at the start of the rain. The worst has been in the middle of a rain maker when the low is stalled out. These have been some miserable times to fish in the rain. Unless it's during the fall feed. I base my info on a wide geographical area and about 4 decades of chunking and winding in the northeast, midwest, deep south and TN Valley. My biggest and heavy sacs on the chick and Table Rock have been right when a storm or heavy rain maker pulls out suddenly. There are so many variables as to when its the best but my observations/results combine other variables like water temp and lake levels. A sudden rise in lake level and water temp (late fall thru early spring), have showed to be the best rain/storm best fishing for me.

derek81

If it's not lightning I'm fishing. Chase and I had our best day last year in the very end of April on a Saturday that it literally rained the entire day, the lake came up close to a foot while we were out. We had two over 8 and several 5 to 6 pound fish, best five was between 32 and 33lbs and we saw one other boat the entire day. 5 years ago the best day I've had winter fishing it snowed a couple inches while we were out and fish were schooling on top and the air temperature was high 20's, if someone hadn't been with me I don't know anyone would have believed the amount of fish we caught that day, we boated over 50 fish, it was mid January I believe.