Weight Size

What size weight is best for flipping grass. I will be down there for the next two weekends. I have a 1 1/2 weight tied on but do I need to go down to a 1oz?

dlsmith6

I agree with shim, 3/4 should be good for any of the shallow stuff. If you plan on chunking into the thick of it then yeah you will need that heavy jig.

Trickwrm

What is the key to getting bites "punching"? I've tried different types of grass, different thickness of mats, different weights, different plastics, and still can't get a bite. My goal the last two years has been to catch one punching and I haven't gotten a bite yet. I'll usually devote 3 hours to it each trip starting this time of year but I'm about ready to hang it up.

porthos33

The key is to leave your other rods at home. Just stick with it and it will happen. 3/4 to an ounce will get you bit. It works in any grass if the fish are there. Any creature bait will do.

FirstLight

I agree with Porthos. As difficult as it can be, you just have to commit to it. I know 3 hours is a long time; but sometimes 3 hours means 8 or more moves until you find a mat that is active. It makes it easier if you have a partner frogging. He might cause movement, in goes the flip, and usually that’s a bite. It’s fun when they are going. Can be 3 or 4 fish in minutes.... and I use a creature 80% of the time.

Trickwrm

I have used a creature bait exclusively. What gives me the most trouble is what action do you actually impart on the bait? Do you just deadstick it? Twitch it on the bottom? Bring it up and tap it into the underside of the mat? I think I have been using too heavy of a weight. I will have to drop down to 3/4 and work with it more.

FirstLight

I have been using an ounce and quarter because I’m flipping thick stuff. My personal experience is, they hit it on the fall 95% of the time. Drop it in, twitch it, bring it back out and flip again. Free spool it on the drop thumbing it because one might take off with it....

Trickwrm

That's the exact way I've been trying it. Just gonna have to keep at it until I can get a fish or two in the boat and build some confidence. Do you find that green pumpkin based stuff works best or do you try to use something that contrasts the mat a little?

Trickwrm

Right on. Is it better on mats that are too thick to frog? I've been kind of using the frog as a search bait on the thicker mats to find active fish and when they blow up but don't get it I'll move in and start sending the weight through but they've been shying away from that too.

Just play with the weight til you get bit. Want it heavy enough to get thru the mat but sometimes they will want a slower or faster fall speed. Also remember there is not much light under that thick stuff so go darker if the natural colors aren't getting bit.

Gator

There are some really good YouTube videos on Punching for bass.

Trickwrm

I finally did it! After 2 whole seasons without a bite, I finally got dialed in and smoked some on the punch rig! Think I caught 11, all dinks, but dang stoked to be able to finally say I caught one punching grass. I'm hooked now!

bssmeistr

My favorite way to fish, especially when I go to okeechobee. Congrats! That big one will come if you keep at it.

porthos33

Trickwrm - 10/5/2018 9:44 PM I finally did it! After 2 whole seasons without a bite, I finally got dialed in and smoked some on the punch rig! Think I caught 11, all dinks, but dang stoked to be able to finally say I caught one punching grass. I'm hooked now!
Thats great! What ended up being the ticket? weight and bait?